Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Sea of red again this morning. Musk's done a number on bitcoin so will see how low that goes now :p
yea inflation fears apparently even for UK stocks.

sucks when your banking stocks go down because "inflation fears" I thought banks love inflation and as it's basically negative iinterest for them

Associate
I don't get the inflation fears tbh. Pre-covid Inflation has been going up by 2% each year but last year it didnt go up at all so this year is just playing catch up. Its got the market spooked now though and not sure if a crash is coming? Or is it just a correction? The bull market has been massive in the last 8 months.

Caporegime
I don't get the inflation fears tbh. Pre-covid Inflation has been going up by 2% each year but last year it didnt go up at all so this year is just playing catch up. Its got the market spooked now though and not sure if a crash is coming? Or is it just a correction? The bull market has been massive in the last 8 months.
inflation is kinda high to be fair almost doubled for the USA even if the number seems low still, I think we will have months of red ahead of us

Soldato
Quarterly figures are useless at the moment, unless you're a tabloid rag trying to crawl up the government's poop-chute.

The economy has been half shut down. It's opening up again, growth and inflation figures are not following normal patterns.

Soldato
I need to sell 80% of my portfolio by the 1st June (house purchase). I'm thinking about selling 26% now, 26% next week and 26% the week after. This seems sensible to me, any thoughts?

I hold 9 stocks (7 funds/1 share/1 ETF). The funds don't have selling charges so I will stagger these but I’m just going to sell 80% of the share and etf in one go.

Last edited:
Soldato
I need to sell 80% of my portfolio by the 1st June (house purchase). I'm thinking about selling 26% now, 26% next week and 26% the week after. This seems sensible to me, any thoughts?

I hold 9 stocks (7 funds/1 share/1 ETF). The funds don't have selling charges so I will stagger these but I’m just going to sell 80% of the share and etf in one go.

Staggering it makes sense, but depends a bit on your circumstances. Is your house purchase going to be at risk if the market collapses next week and half your portfolio is gone?

I pulled my money out of the markets last year to complete a house purchase too....missed all the covid gains :( C'est la vie. Still, done alright since then.

Soldato

Why does that seem sensible to you? Do you believe the market is going up in the next 2 weeks?

Soldato
Why does that seem sensible to you? Do you believe the market is going up in the next 2 weeks?

I've given up trying to rationalise the market. I figure that it's just as likely to go up, down, or stand still. So by staggering, if it does go up then I will realise some gains. If it goes down then I will protect myself against some of those drops.

Realistically, as most of my holdings are in funds it's unlikely to make much difference to the bottom line so probably doesn't make much difference.

Soldato

Just sell 5.2% each day ?

Soldato
I would have already sold out of fear of market tripping up and not being able to make back the difference due to forced sale by that date. Start from 50% and scale out with half as much each time, the final bits are closest to forced sale. Important money that cant be lost should be in funds, ideally they dont mind you trading them or charge much because its different to owning a precise amount by yourself.

Say you were in the riskiest things, juggling meme coins or whatever. You could be remain in market but rotate assets from riskiest to more stable before leaving altogether. This is done all the time with pensions I guess though bonds are risk imo so I dont know what they do now.

June is tomorrow basically, in working days the year is a lot shorter. Sell the more illiquid stuff first, funds last so a single company can have news at any time and move price a large amount out of hours

Higher inflation is higher rates possible which alters monetary flows and leveraged trading. I heard the biggest gains (nominal) can occur when rates are rising because its invariably failing to beat the inflation moves but also it relates to growth loss (value) as industry loses business in unstable markets.
If we took the extreme, currency fails we have to barter instead its a failure to efficiency and business will decline from lower efficiency higher costs, all of society is poorer when inflation is apparent but it doesnt mean some trade cant work out well within that decline.
Commodities are likely justified in their move upwards if currency weakness continues

Last edited:
Associate
Please can someone explain the 30 day rule to me for stock buy back under capital gains - and specifically if it applies to US equities?

For a rough example, say I:

1. Buy TSLA for $X
2. Sell for $X-100 - [$100 capital loss]
3. Buy back in to TSLA, the next day at $X-50.
4. Sell for $X-10 [$10 capital loss]

In UK capital gains terms, can that be spun as a $110 loss? Or is a clear cut, first sale never happened - your loss is only $10? Or am i totally misunderstanding?

Soldato
Please can someone explain the 30 day rule to me for stock buy back under capital gains - and specifically if it applies to US equities?

For a rough example, say I:

1. Buy TSLA for $X
2. Sell for $X-100 - [$100 capital loss]
3. Buy back in to TSLA, the next day at $X-50.
4. Sell for $X-10 [$10 capital loss]

In UK capital gains terms, can that be spun as a $110 loss? Or is a clear cut, first sale never happened - your loss is only $10? Or am i totally misunderstanding?

https://techzone.adviserzone.com/anon/public/personal-taxation/Practical-G-Share-match

Good examples there

Back
Top Bottom