1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcast123, 2 Apr 2009.

1. uncle_rufus

Soldato

Yes was wondering this above, would prefer not to lose the gains made so far if it turns back the other way

2. C1pher1

Associate

RR has been awarded the contract so it will be interesting to see what happens to the price Monday.

3. Trig

Mobster

Nice

4. alexakasloth

Sgarrista

Hadn't checked RR in the past week, up 17.49% since I bought so think will be selling today.
    Wife and I are needing a larger car so will help with the deposit for that.

5. JamesH85

Gangster

Instant 5% on open. Come on the Rolls!

6. uncle_rufus

Soldato

Getting very nervous now, surely this can't be sustained...

7. alexakasloth

Sgarrista

That's me sold @ 136, bought for 111 so a decent little profit.

8. EdGey

Sgarrista

I'm currently up 34% on RR. I'm in it for the long run though so won't be selling any time soon!

9. JamesH85

Gangster

I would not of sold at 136 like, depends what you're in it for but I can see RR making a really good recovery towards 200p over the next few months, especially with increased traffic to US.

10. uncle_rufus

Soldato

I guess I should try to take this attitude - I always saw it as a long term play but now with it being one of my most successful potential trades ever (in terms of trying to trade single stocks anyway) I'm letting emotion into it and becoming nervous when I should just stick to the plan!

11. Trig

Mobster

I'm holding for now.
    Selling my AML on Friday and grabbing more RR was a good call, just hope they don't have to sell the civil nuclear side of things, they're back into profit now after the restructure so we'll see where they go over the next 6 months, cant see me selling in the next 18 at the earliest though tbh.

12. dLockers

Sgarrista

Single stocks for the long-game far too distracting IMO. A healthy fund for long-term; single-stocks is what it is - gamble :D

13. Calpol

Wise Guy

I think this is where I am. I too have some RR bought in at 91p so I'll cash out today. I've had too much of a rollercoaster on buying and holding single stocks, unless you are full time studying then it's too much of a risk. I have a chunk of TUI which is almost recovered to my buy in level but its been an investment that has delivered nothing ultimately - should have cashed it in when they were 100 up earlier in the year. Single stock will be a 3 month max for me and limited to 10 % of my portfolio. I'll keep a couple that are good dividend payers in my SIPP.

14. wildest_jjk

Mobster

I have recently decided to change my choice of stocks/ETF in my long term portfolio. What is the most sensible approach to changing a portfolio?

Would you sell all at once? Gradually take the money out of the existing portfolio or just leave it all in unless absolutely necessary?

I use T212 and have a pie that contains my portfolio. If I'm not mistaken all I will be paying is the bid/offer spread as these are all UK stocks in an ISA.

15. JamesH85

Gangster

146p on RR now, long may the recovery continue!

16. Trig

Mobster

I was up on RR, bought a load more on Friday which dropped my profit to 11%, now sat at 27%....
    Not too bad that..

17. JamesH85

Gangster

RR confirmed earlier today they sold one of their subsidiaries for 1.5 billion quid, ITP Aero, part of fixing the balance sheet, they said earlier this year they wanna generate 2 billion in cash, they’ve sold shares in companies like air tanker too.

More or less a clean balance sheet now for RR

18. silversurfer

Capodecina

Selling into strength seems reasonable for a trade. I'd hope RR can go further long term. The low in 2016 was 160 area so I'd expect that before having to sell much medium term. I presume we do repeat the lows and if its bullish, it'll be higher then 100p area we last saw; the ideal being sell the high & buy that low but can never tell where they are exactly.
    The real thing that should drive RR is Asia is now using air travel and there are billions of people who've rarely left the country or had the convenience to travel even state to state like US does via air rather then train, etc.
    Over decades being part of that growth would be a big deal, near term we have ongoing problems weak world GDP growth also higher oil is discouragement.

Theres a gap or air pocket in volume upto 160, its a reasonable hope it can glide that far. But also I dont know the graph is accurate now after they required funding etc. its an altered company from 2016 I guess

DOLLAR INDEX SPOT (DXY) Spot Rate - Bloomberg Markets

19. Trig

Mobster

How are the Uranium guys feeling this week, I was tempted to stick what I had pulled from AML into Uranium but decided to go into RR instead...

20. Electronic Dave

Gangster

Treasury yields jump yet again affecting today's U.S. market sell off - a result of the debt ceiling vote / standoff in Washington