Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Between my wife and I we've now had a few free shares on Freetrade using their referral thingy, and every single one has been an absolute clanger. Today's is particularly spectacular:
[...]
They really are using the crappiest stuff as incentives, once you spot the trend it's quite funny :D

LOL, did you have that issue with one of the other cheapo brokers too, IIRC their rep even posted on here once - Trading 212 perhaps?

Soldato
I'm recently back from Oz where I had a few punts on ASX listed companies, to varying degress of success. I still hold a couple but now that i'm back on UK shores I was contemplating putting some of my cash to work on the LSE. Is there a standard "go to" app/platform for trading shares in the UK? What are people's preferred on here?

Soldato
I had YouGov as a free share, I didnt sell it for 6 months and I think it was up 20% I'd never own it otherwise, sold it as its also held within HRI which I will hold with some confidence its well organised where as I dont know how to judge yougov except it looks already 'full' value wise.

PCT - sold some though I dont think it is a sell tbh just risk/balance wise, its been held a quarter century this year. Some of these funds have been run forever, I think all trust prices begin at 100p right

Shell (RDS.A) Shareholders Overwhelmingly Agree on UK Shift (yahoo.com)
The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: BP, Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon Mobil, ConocoPhillips and Cenovus Energy (yahoo.com)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nothing seems to be coming down to reality though that I'm watching anyway.

ya'll just hoping people yolo their christmas money and you get in first or what?

Soldato
Nothing seems to be coming down to reality though that I'm watching anyway.

ya'll just hoping people yolo their christmas money and you get in first or what?

What else you going to do with your money...leave it inflating away to nothing in a savings account?

The apparent over-exuberance of the markets doesn't seem that irrational if you take into account that the value of money is dropping like a stone.

Soldato
was a little concerned as i have numerous small (under 25k) trades migrating to my vanguard but most are clear ,i was going to let them sit as cash if a collapse happened but still have the cancel trade option on 3 of them ,don't have the nerve for individual shares anymore

Caporegime
Evidence that Omicron aint all that, giving hope to a lot of stock - my travel industry ones are almost back in the black!
I was just checking the airlines lol crazy how much they tanked....
easyjet and IAG lost like 50% over their peak in 2021

Cineworlds around 30% of what it was :O

who got burnt on them? did they all issue more shares like I thought they would? it's probably not the end of these kinda companies trying to avoid bankruptcy either

Soldato
I sold up IAG @ 210. RR at 109.

Nailed it with IAG, could have held on with RR, but happy with banking both those trades overall, decent returns in a volatile year.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Anyone know where I can open an ISA for stocks on the NASDAQ?

I want to put my crypto into micro strategy so it can help me get a mortgage.

Cheers

Soldato
Anyone know where I can open an ISA for stocks on the NASDAQ?

I want to put my crypto into micro strategy so it can help me get a mortgage.
Cheers
Try Welcome to MoneySavingExpert Forum for questions on providers. They used to have a really good stocks thread too but it got clipped for being out of date which is bs as stocks are multi year

Can any explain just how the stockmarket works these days? I've just done some googling on share prices and noticed Nvidia has a PE ratio of just under 95 and a market cap of around $800b whereas Intel has a PE ratio of 9 and market cap of $200b yet by every financial metric I can find (earnings, revenue, employees, fixed assets etc) Intel towers over Nvidia. For that ratio to make sense Nvidia's earning would have be around $45b a year which an order of magnitude higher then it's current level of $4.3b, so what gives? Market madness/herd mentality of do people genuinely believe team green will one day end being that big?

Its been like that for years. Money is cheap certainly its projected to get cheaper hence PE being retrospective is not as relevant. Part of the question is money itself will be smaller, the figure less impressive at that date.
TSMC is the key firm between these names like ARM is for designs, I'd rather go with the certainty of that demand then which design proves itself.
pJ3tDhE.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Pulled half my trading portfolio back into cash this morning. Think this Omicron variant is going to be a big drag over the next few weeks....hopefully some buying opportunities coming up.

And chucked this cash back into SMT this afternoon @ 1128. Probably not the bottom but happy taking an extra slice of return from the volatility.

Back
Top Bottom