Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
£12k of pure gains versus £12k of selling your labour? Not sure they were ever equal ideas.
Yes, but the capital gains tax is still not equalised with income tax, instead the government is just greatly reducing the threshold before you pay it down to £3K this year which is targeting those making smaller transactions (relatively speaking).

If they want to do that then they should equalise capital gains with income so the rich who deal in much larger transactions will pay their fair share. I was just making the point that if it's true that ordinary people are paying the greatest amount of tax in 70 years (the super rich are not, obviously) and getting so little in return then perhaps the above is the wrong way to go about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The best way to invest in the stock market is via a pension fund, it immediately adds whatever your tax and NI percentage on to the amount and remains tax free until you take it out.
A good pension scheme will allow you to choice your investment fund, admittedly only ETFs, mutual funds and bonds not individual shares in companies but that's what SIPPs are for.

on another topic, this how the super wealthy (top 1% of the world) invest their money.
Equities 26%
Commercial property directly (e.g. ownership of assets) 21%
Bonds 17%
Private equity/venture capital 9%
Commercial property
indirectly through funds 8%
Other 7%
Commercial property indirectly
through REITs 5%
Investment of passion (e.g. art,
cars, wine, etc.) 5%
Gold 3%
Crypto assets 2%

This kinda matches up with the research done in America for the book "The millionaire next door" and that most of the people that they used in the research store most of the wealth in their pensions.

Also the wealth report in the uk states that:
with the wealthiest 10% estimated to hold around half of all wealth, primarily in the form of private pensions and property.

Last edited:
Soldato
They are targeting the little people with these changes and much less so the super rich, that's my problem with it. To me it makes much more sense to equalise capital gains with income tax at the old £12K threshold.
I don't see how targetting the little people. We have the very generous ISA allowance, which enables everyone from the bottom to very comfortably well off to not pay CGT on their investments.

Soldato
The best way to invest in the stock market is via a pension fund, it immediately adds whatever your tax and NI percentage on to the amount and remains tax free until you take it out.

No. You receive basic rate tax relief at source. There is no employee NI relief. Additional rate tax relief, for higher earners, needs claiming via self assessment or a tax code adjustment via PAYE.

The only way to benefit regarding NI on pension payments is to salary sacrifice, whereby your employer adds their employers NI saving (13.8%) and pays both it and the amount of pay you have sacrificed in to your pension as an employers contribution.

There is no employee NI relief on pension contributions, except the by product of lower employee NI on pay as the result of salary sacrifice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone gambling on Tesla now? Under $200 for the first time in a while
Not for me, it’s not at YTD low yet.
BYD has out sold them on EVs be it in a market that Tesla ain’t targeting (lower end market).
I fully expect an established car manufacturer to over take them in the mid and higher end markets in car sales in the next five years.

there’s all sorts of rumours that musk is demanding more power at tesla and more money to invest in AI.

for me, the idea that they are a tech/ai company is crazy.. I see them as a car manufacturer in the leading group when it comes to EV.

AI for cars is more likely going to be developed by some small research company then sold or leased to a car manufacturer.

on the plus side, Tesla does likely have more driving data than anyone else and they do have charging network that GM said that they are going to use.

most of the people who invested in Tesla at the moment seems to be Musk’s fan club.

if musk leaves Tesla, then there be a massive drop in the shares and at which point I may invest, depending on how their competition is doing.

Soldato
I never had the guts for TSLA but the story I missed is they receive so much via government due to creating clean burning cars other makers fail to do. In UK this year for example 22% of all new cars sold must be all electric, I find that surprising and maybe double check but anyhow the investment question isnt linear.

I sold some RR but I should rebuy over future months imo. Tech has done very well, it was a good buy on the lows I used PCT because we've held it since 1996. Sold some on its last peak and its very close to back there now, I only got it (this time) for a trade; again would like to sell rebuy in future also.

Election year is not normally a negative market ?

TSLA is tech not sure AI just because they have the data from all those cars. If they are tech they may lose their grip some like INTC

Caporegime
Like squeezing blood out of a stone these guys, I'm all for paying tax so we can enjoy health care etc etc but this goverment is trying to bleed us dry.
yea, the thresholds are ridiculous now

AI for cars is more likely going to be developed by some small research company then sold or leased to a car manufacturer.
Surely Mobileye or NVDA will be king.
a bunch of Chinese EV companies are using Nvidia like li Auto, GWM (Great Wall Motor), ZEEKR and Xiaomi

Volkswagen , nissan, bmw, ford , porsche, nio etc use mobileye in some of their vehicles

Last edited:
Soldato
TSLA is tech not sure AI just because they have the data from all those cars. If they are tech they may lose their grip some like INTC

IDK, Honda made a robot years ago and I think most people see them as a vehicle manufacturers than a tech company.

Musk has already taken some of Tesla’s AI staff to work for his X-Ai company.

If the rumours are to be believed, Musk is acting out his exit strategy with his current demands.

Tesla has shed loads of money in the bank, but how much would be left if Musk gets his way?

Soldato
TSLA shares look like they are dropping, I don't know why as a court in the states as deemed Musk's contract as illegal and that it's non avoid. Share holders should be happy that he's not getting a few billion in shares.

WAG shares are climbing at the moment, they just announced that they are opening an AI department. I don't think it will ever make my book price and it's about when it's a good time to sell.

Soldato
Excluding ARM which is so good they took it abroad :p I still remember ARM being 200p and me not getting that is cheap :o

Just looking at BP and Shell graphs and I rate Shell over BP for prospects, I think BP has 480p to beat before looking again at that. A long time I remember Shell stating itself as wanting a bias to gas and it took over BG but I really lack detail, everyone has them in FT100 anyhow

Soldato
Bit of a shame to see SDRY on its last legs.

I've been a customer of SDRY since the earliest days of Cult Clothing in Cheltenham. I still own a fair amount of SDRY clothing and if they do close the doors, I'll stock up before the end.

I'd assume they'll be bought up. NXT seem keen to pick up dying brands - JOUL etc. Maybe more of a Mike Ashley fit to be bundled into a corner of Sports Direct shops.

SDRY is making a killing today!!

Soldato
Not recommended in the slightest, but my daughter started following an FX trader on Telegram, so far she's up 300% within about a week. I accept that it's been an abnormal week with some big movements (costing me £1k on a GBP/EUR money transfer i needed to make :()

I've decided to give it a punt out of curiosity. I imagine there's a decent chance it's AI based rather than an actual individual, but it's money i'm happy to lose if it comes to it. I recall someone else posting about something similar so would be curious how they got on long term.

Not really sure what the guy gets out of it (unless it is AI based) other than potential sign up referral bonuses for the trading platform (Iron FX)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not recommended in the slightest, but my daughter started following an FX trader on Telegram, so far she's up 300% within about a week. I accept that it's been an abnormal week with some big movements (costing me £1k on a GBP/EUR money transfer i needed to make :()

I've decided to give it a punt out of curiosity. I imagine there's a decent chance it's AI based rather than an actual individual, but it's money i'm happy to lose if it comes to it. I recall someone else posting about something similar so would be curious how they got on long term.

Not really sure what the guy gets out of it (unless it is AI based) other than potential sign up referral bonuses for the trading platform (Iron FX)
Be careful about that, it may well be a scam/Ponzi scheme.

I'd suggest she tries to withdraw her money while she still can.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive had a great year with uranium so far - im up about 80% over where i was 3 months ago. Granted i was down about 10k at one point but im back up to a 13k profit currently.

Happy to share my stocks im invested in if anyones interested in learning more. Uranium is on the verge of going into a huge bull market and we are only are just at the beginning.

Soldato

Rug pulls... pump and dumps...

Most legit financial advisors, investment adviser and securities analysis won't give advise over the internet to the general public, kinda like doctors; it's not worth their license. I mean if you're good at something; why do it for free?

Back
Top Bottom