Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
WHOA wish id been in a position to buy more than the 5 shares when ARM's IPO went out, what a day.
Can basically throw money at anything USA tech AI/hardware right now and you'll probably be OK.

I've switched to vanguard 50 percent and individual stocks 50 percent in my isa now.

And more, I've given up on UK tat. Since moving to US stocks its night and day.

SMCI for me.

Caporegime
Time are trying to keep the Palantir rally going it seems

Up 50% since earnings 2 days ago now :D

not sure I'd wanna buy in at this price but I rounded my shares up to a nice even number, I'll add more if it drips.

Cramer is saying it's a buy though so a bad omen

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't hold much crypto about 3% of my ISA. I find the Coinbase app absolutely awful for tracking returns and had looked for other platforms but came across Coinstats which links directly and will show your portfolio much more clearly and absolute return / average price etc.

I have no affinity to Coinbase and which a few £k I'd happily switch platforms if anyone can recommend something suitable.

Soldato
I don't hold much crypto about 3% of my ISA. I find the Coinbase app absolutely awful for tracking returns and had looked for other platforms but came across Coinstats which links directly and will show your portfolio much more clearly and absolute return / average price etc.

I have no affinity to Coinbase and which a few £k I'd happily switch platforms if anyone can recommend something suitable.

I think you may be better off asking in the bitcoin thread.

I don’t think many people posting here have much experience investing in cyptro.

Soldato
Can basically throw money at anything USA tech AI/hardware right now and you'll probably be OK.

I've switched to vanguard 50 percent and individual stocks 50 percent in my isa now.

And more, I've given up on UK tat. Since moving to US stocks its night and day.

SMCI for me.
UK is a waste of time, I spent far too long watching my funds do basically nothing. That's what annoys me about Lifestrategy funds, far too much home bias. UK makes up around 4% of the world market apparently, so it's mad to have any more than that in a portfolio IMO.

Soldato
You have to remember most versions of LS also include bonds, the LS 100 version compares pretty well with a global tracker without the UK bias. A simple S&P 500 tracker is well ahead of them all over the 5 and 10 yr timescales because of a greater weighting towards the big 7 US companies that have generated most of the outperformance.

Soldato
UK is a waste of time, I spent far too long watching my funds do basically nothing. That's what annoys me about Lifestrategy funds, far too much home bias. UK makes up around 4% of the world market apparently, so it's mad to have any more than that in a portfolio IMO.

Whilst I agree in principle, I fear the time to do it was 10-20 years ago rather than now. As per my pension thread, I'm concerned over the mix of global Vs UK stocks (I still have 17% UK stocks in my portfolio) but if I change it now then that means I'm trying to time the market and could be buying in at the top. Catch 22.

Soldato

Coinbase is probably the safest exchange out there. Binance 2nd and seems to regularly prevent withdrawals. Look what happened to FTX. If you're regularly trading then coinbase fees are high, but it's safest I would say for storage. If it's long term storage then you should really bring the funds out to your own wallet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst I agree in principle, I fear the time to do it was 10-20 years ago rather than now. As per my pension thread, I'm concerned over the mix of global Vs UK stocks (I still have 17% UK stocks in my portfolio) but if I change it now then that means I'm trying to time the market and could be buying in at the top. Catch 22.
It's gone up a lot recently, but will no doubt drop, and as much as I hate to try and time the market, that's probably th time to change.
Luckily I've been invested for 40 years with pensions, but only in 2020/21 did I take control of it all. And even when it drops, it will go up again, and I'd rather be US or global than heavily in the UK. LS100 seems to make about half of the S & P, and considering it costs 0.22% compared to 0.07% it's a no brainer for me.

Soldato
Was looking to transfer the shares I hold in my HL ISA to someone like T212 to save on the HL selling costs, but I see T212 only do cash transfers and not stock transfers.

Any other providers that I can do stock transfer to that would be much cheaper than HL?

T212 I don't beleive have this feature yet, I saw a post that it's coming this year. They normally adverst new features 2-3 months ahead of release.

Following on from this, stock transfers are starting 15th February 2024

Caporegime

Absolutely dire.
Its actually insane how little time I've been moving to usa individuals and S&P tracker.
Even in months it's outperforming my uk fund.

I'm going to look at seeing where I can move my pension when I come back from holiday.

Back
Top Bottom