Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Don't pay too much attention to articles like that. It's usually just one analysts opinion and they generally (not always) have their own interests or bias even if they aren't invested in it. I always laugh when a stock jumps 10-20% and then suddenly all analysts increase their price target for said stock, which if they really had any idea they would do it before the massive jump lol

Wouldn't bother with Netflix, and Nvidia just from my trading in tech stocks is more likely to drop a decent amount than go up by the same - it depends on how long you want to stay invested, if short term 1 day to a couple of weeks you might make some some money on pops and dips but for longer term investing i'd just look at your typical funds that spread your money about. But everything really is just everyone's own opinions and most of the professional analysts don't have much more of a clue than anyone doing their own decent amount of due diligence.

Edit: Just seen the AMD mention, I traded it today and went short for a quick £150 but wouldn't really recommend it unless it breaks and holds above $16 as its been trading in a very small $11-$15 dollar range for a long time now and the company still isn't turning a profit despite good results (it surged to its highest point of the year the day of its earnings report and dropped right back down the next day).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't pay too much attention to articles like that. It's usually just one analysts opinion and they generally (not always) have their own interests or bias even if they aren't invested in it. I always laugh when a stock jumps 10-20% and then suddenly all analysts increase their price target for said stock, which if they really had any idea they would do it before the massive jump lol

Wouldn't bother with Netflix, and Nvidia just from my trading in tech stocks is more likely to drop a decent amount than go up by the same - it depends on how long you want to stay invested, if short term 1 day to a couple of weeks you might make some some money on pops and dips but for longer term investing i'd just look at your typical funds that spread your money about. But everything really is just everyone's own opinions and most of the professional analysts don't have much more of a clue than anyone doing their own decent amount of due diligence.

Edit: Just seen the AMD mention, I traded it today and went short for a quick £150 but wouldn't really recommend it unless it breaks and holds above $16 as its been trading in a very small $11-$15 dollar range for a long time now and the company still isn't turning a profit despite good results (it surged to its highest point of the year the day of its earnings report and dropped right back down the next day).
Ok thanks for the info. I do consider my own opinion too though and I am pretty aware of the tech market so still think Nvidia is a good long-term prospect.

AMD yeah, seems to be all over the place, but if the company is going to be long-term successful and see good results from Ryzen (which has finally made it semi-competitive again) then imo those stocks will simply have to rise.

Soldato
Ok thanks for the info. I do consider my own opinion too though and I am pretty aware of the tech market so still think Nvidia is a good long-term prospect.

AMD yeah, seems to be all over the place, but if the company is going to be long-term successful and see good results from Ryzen (which has finally made it semi-competitive again) then imo those stocks will simply have to rise.

Indeed do your own research etc the only thing I would mention re AMD is that if you look at the stock price a year ago, a lot of the new products etc have been factored in to the current stock price. If they do manage to really pull a good % wedge back from Intel/Nvidia by next earnings then there is a good chance it could go higher but big companies that currently use Intel/Nvidia will be begrudged spending the necessary £1000's to replace with all AMD stuff.

Nvidia have done very well holding on to their market share and as a result their stock price is pretty much at all time high but it's worth waiting for a drop (dip) before you buy as otherwise your buying at the top and even though a future tech may make it jump more if it keeps going as it has it will be an incremental rise. Worth waiting for it to drop say $10-20 then jump in as a pullback that big will *hopefully* (hey, its the stock market!) bounce back and then you have made $10-20 per share within a few months rather than having to wait years for the same kind of increase.

Best of luck.

Caporegime
Indeed do your own research etc the only thing I would mention re AMD is that if you look at the stock price a year ago, a lot of the new products etc have been factored in to the current stock price. If they do manage to really pull a good % wedge back from Intel/Nvidia by next earnings then there is a good chance it could go higher but big companies that currently use Intel/Nvidia will be begrudged spending the necessary £1000's to replace with all AMD stuff.

Nvidia have done very well holding on to their market share and as a result their stock price is pretty much at all time high but it's worth waiting for a drop (dip) before you buy as otherwise your buying at the top and even though a future tech may make it jump more if it keeps going as it has it will be an incremental rise. Worth waiting for it to drop say $10-20 then jump in as a pullback that big will *hopefully* (hey, its the stock market!) bounce back and then you have made $10-20 per share within a few months rather than having to wait years for the same kind of increase.

Best of luck.

Thanks again chap interesting read and lets face it... investing in something you have an interest in is a lot more exciting than leaving it in the bank collecting cobwebs... despite the risks. :)

Caporegime
It also means that you're at greater risk of making decisions that are either led by emotion or by macro information, neither of which are likely to be good.
It also means you can make decisions based on knowledge and insight that lead to rewards. It works both ways, and presumably as grown adults with some element of financial responsibility I think we are all aware of that. :)

Soldato
I'm with the Abyss and I always err on the side of caution when investing in something I'm also interested in, but like you say, as long as you're aware of that just look at it even more objectively than if it was.... insurance.

Soldato
It also means you can make decisions based on knowledge and insight that lead to rewards. It works both ways, and presumably as grown adults with some element of financial responsibility I think we are all aware of that. :)

Indeed, but just be careful what knowledge you have and what assumptions you make from it. For example:

is not a reasoned assumption other than to say that if the company does well then the share price must rise. You could say that about any business. What was the investment outlay into Ryzen? Have the predicted sales been met? Is the projected margin achieved? What proportion of total revenue does Ryzen deliver? What's the shelf life of Ryzen? What have competitors done or are planning to do to counter Ryzen? What's the growth in the market where Ryzen is expected to be sold? Etc etc.

I don't really know much about Ryzen or AMD, but given that there seems to be little in the way of coverage that this is some sort of halo transformational processor I would imagine that, at a high level, there's a long way to go before the benchmarking of a chip translates into any meaningful financial contribution.

Associate
What are peoples thoughts on robo advisors such as MoneyFarm and Nutmeg?

Over the past few days, I've started doing research into investing and wondered if this would be a good first beginner step?

Looking back over the past few pages in this thread this evening, I see people talking about the Vanguard LifeStyle funds/platform, I came across this earlier reading this article. Would people recommend looking into the Vanguard Platform and funds for a beginner to dabble with (as it negates third party brokers etc)?

If anyone has any books or resources they could recommend, I would be grateful.

Caporegime
What are peoples thoughts on robo advisors such as MoneyFarm and Nutmeg?

Over the past few days, I've started doing research into investing and wondered if this would be a good first beginner step?

Looking back over the past few pages in this thread this evening, I see people talking about the Vanguard LifeStyle funds/platform, I came across this earlier reading this article. Would people recommend looking into the Vanguard Platform and funds for a beginner to dabble with (as it negates third party brokers etc)?

If anyone has any books or resources they could recommend, I would be grateful.

A nice little article about 'RAs'.

Basically start from here read the links and then you're set. Buffett recommends index funds for everyone and even if his wife when he dies and praises Jack Bogle for his work at Vanguard and index funds.

Caporegime
Yup something like that.

Monevator has a great table that compared platform charges and there is this spreadsheet which allows for more accurate calulations.

DIY a lazy portfolio or get a LifeStrategy / Target Retirement and then see it out. Unless you have the time and disposable income to go dividend hunting and growth seeking then I don't see why you'd bother with anything else to be honest.

Soldato
A nice little article about 'RAs'.

Basically start from here read the links and then you're set. Buffett recommends index funds for everyone and even if his wife when he dies and praises Jack Bogle for his work at Vanguard and index funds.

That;s because few people, even top investors, can beat the market so you might as well just follow (track) the market.
It's good to buy individual shares too. I've held a few crappy ones the last few years that I really should have gotten out of sooner but just invested in those with smaller (risk) money. My best investment recently has been Nvidia. I've now reduced my holding....and used the profit to pay off my mortgage :).
Everyone needs to remember investing should be very long term focussed and ideally you should only invest what you can afford to lose in it's entirety. Some people don't get the last part of that statement but it's a psychological thing too. If you really cannot afford to lose money you will probably lose money. For example, the market may dip, you sell out at a loss and then it recovers. If you believe in an investment, a 10, 20, 30% initial dip shouldn't worry you too much because your focus should be the long term. My own investment in Nvidia is proof of that, at one point I think I was standing with a 30% loss (held NV shares for a long time, at least 5 years)

Last edited:
Associate
Looking to move my ISA and dealing account from Barclays... The move to smart investor has been awful.

Any recommendations on brokers? Portfolio is stocks and ETFs. Current shortlist is TD, Hargreaves Lansdowne, iweb or AJ bell.

Soldato
Lot of talk about a dollar rally coming. The US reducing liquidity and companies taking dollars back to the US. I can certainly sit on some US shares for a while. Other people's thoughts?

Soldato
Lot of talk about a dollar rally coming. The US reducing liquidity and companies taking dollars back to the US. I can certainly sit on some US shares for a while. Other people's thoughts?

Unless your trading Forex and the dollar rises it will make little difference to individual stocks, some will go up and some will go down.

Soldato
Unless your trading Forex and the dollar rises it will make little difference to individual stocks, some will go up and some will go down.
I getting shares through my work scheme so it is a choice of selling or sitting on them for a while. They are tech shares. I've also seen that this is expected to benefit some US shares as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom