Trans Atlantic fares

Permabanned
Basically planning to go to USA in early July, decided to check the fares.... Was a bit shocked that fares for July are more than x2 more than June or August... Paying nearly 1k for economy is a bit ridiculous since there is 4 of us travelling so it hits pockets hard when you x4.

Just wondering, as we get into end of June is there a chance the fares for July to USA will level out? Or should we just ditch the idea of going in July?

Looking to go to either NYC or Chicago.

Man of Honour
July is always the most expensive month to fly Transatlantic. If you can possibly avoid it, then you should, if you cannot then you will certainly pay for the privilege.

That said even other months are surprisingly expensive this year - I've never seen fares generally as high as they are now.

Man of Honour
tbh prices fluctuate a lot on stuff like that and without making a study of it its hard to predict, it could be towards july demand is down and they drop prices or it could go totally the other way and lots of people travelling and they jack up prices, etc.

Permabanned
OP
[TW]Fox;24423540 said:
July is always the most expensive month to fly Transatlantic. If you can possibly avoid it, then you should, if you cannot then you will certainly pay for the privilege.

That said even other months are surprisingly expensive this year - I've never seen fares generally as high as they are now.

Well maybe they will drop as time approaches closer... hopefully :(:( I`ll have to sell my pants to fly us all in July, at current rates.

Man of Honour
Best bet is to wait for a sale - Virgin seem to have one every other week at the moment. One finished last week. The prices in these 'sales' are still not particularly great but better than they are now.

Permabanned
OP
[TW]Fox;24423562 said:
Best bet is to wait for a sale - Virgin seem to have one every other week at the moment. One finished last week. The prices in these 'sales' are still not particularly great but better than they are now.

Well personally I cant see too many people buying out all planes to USA for july for 1k per ticket... Hopefully they will be forced to drop prices sooner or later.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I'm flying out to Austin in November and that's around £600 at current prices. Thought it would be cheaper. Alternative is Dallas at around £500 or so with a £10 greyhound journey.

Soldato
The prices on flights these days are truly awful :( In all the years I've been going back and forth, I have never seen them this extortionate.
I have to fly over for a funeral in about a week and the lowest I can find is about $1700!!
Even if you look at the next coming months, they don't drop below $1200+

Soldato
The prices on flights these days are truly awful :( In all the years I've been going back and forth, I have never seen them this extortionate.
I have to fly over for a funeral in about a week and the lowest I can find is about $1700!!
Even if you look at the next coming months, they don't drop below $1200+
Yup can't argue with that, heading back to the UK next year in July so budgeting around $3k for the two of us, painful when I used to go LHR to LAX for under 400 quid return when I caught a good one.

Soldato
Not that I've looked into it, or know nothing about this subject, and I appreciate it may be more hassle but wouldn't airports like Schiphol, Brussels, Shannon offer better value fares to the U.S?

Soldato
Not that I've looked into it, or know nothing about this subject, and I appreciate it may be more hassle but wouldn't airports like Schiphol, Brussels, Shannon offer better value fares to the U.S?

You'll save about £100 in tax, but you need to get there of course. It's more worthwhile if you can get an open-jaw return to the UK and the savings are bigger if you're in a premium cabin.

Soldato
Remember the Scottish schools finish at the end of June, 27th this year I am sure!

So from July all the way through to when the English / Welsh schools go back, all airlines bump their prices up!

Pretty scandalous to be perfectly honest, but I suppose demand can allow them to charge what they want, oh and it is the same for any holiday destination!

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;24423540 said:

I spoke to a travel agent yesterday regarding flight costs to Australia and she said that costs have gone up substantially across the board this year, even compared to last year. Flights to Oz seem to be about £100-200 more for next year than even Christmas last year.

How true that actually is is another matter...

Associate
I booked a return flight to Las Vegas back in Februrary for just under £780, flying out and returning in July. Have just checked on Expedia for the same flight and its now £1600 :O Thats doubled in price, crazy!! I guess it does pay to book earlier if possible!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I'm flying to Kansas via Chicago on the 6th July, Premium Economy, £1250 return.

Not too bad considering some people here are seeing similar prices for normal economy just to Chicago!

Back
Top Bottom