Travel tips that you have picked up.

Caporegime
I thought it would be both fun and useful to share travel tips we have learned in our travels. I will start with Morocco since I’ve recently been going there quite often. Feel free to share your tips with any particular places you have recently visited.

Things I’ve learned.

Tipping – Tipping is welcomed but there are ways to do it.

At restaurants, a waiter will serve you and when you ask for the bill, he will bring it over. You pay him what it is on the bill, when you get the change, then only after that you give him the tip directly. You don’t take the bill up to the till inside to pay. If you do, the waiter, for some reason, need to also be there. I think it’s all to do with commission.

Saw an American lady asking the lady at the till to add 10% to the total and they were so confused.

In average, £2 is normally more than enough. £2 there is a paper note and most people tip in coins so that is max a £1 value or so.

Tip the waiter directly with cash, even if you pay by card or contactless at the til.

Taxi – I am not sure if this is in the capital or other cities but there are lots of different kind of cabs. In Casablanca there are 2 colours, one for inner city, one for outer city journeys. So need to know which one for your journey before getting in. In Rabat, if the taxi isn’t full, the driver will let in other people on the street if he get flagged down by another passenger and then will negotiate if they are going to the same direction in order to pick up extra fare. It’s like Uber share feature in action. Very confusing at first.

No tipping usually required but the meter do run to more decimal points than I normally have the cash to so they always round it up to the next 10p equivalent.

Watch out for people ripping you off. Try not catch taxi from the taxi rank next to the main stations. Walk a street or so over. Especially if they smell a foreigner. I’ve paid £8 for a 15min taxi, which in the UK seems cheap but over there, it’s £2 max. I guess it is hard to know unless you’ve done it a few times with this one.

Crossing the roads

Need to watch out for drivers, they should stop but they don’t seem to have driving codes. People cut in everywhere and anywhere. As a pedestrian, if you are crossing the road, you really need to watch the traffic, some crossings have no lights at all and expect you to play real-life Frogger. Not as intense as Vietnam but still a lot more chaotic than Europe.

The cafes are their pubs, where you can watch football.

Back to not getting ripped off, it seems bribes are like an unwritten rule. Went to the largest mosque and saw there were barriers and was closed for visitors until next prayer time. There was a security guard trying to get us to pay him to let us in until it is officially open. £5 for my friends who are local and £7 for me. When we know it is free anyway, we can see other people walking around on the grounds 30 meters away.

Last edited:
Associate
Check you bank card charges before using it in another country, we use Chase and sometimes Revolut, seems to be the best deal overall.

Nothing is free and even taking photo with someone, there is always a catch and prepared to be robbed unless you can fight 1 vs 10.

Associate
Heres a few random generic thoughts of mine.

1) Invest in a couple of trackers, especially if you have an iphone. I've one in my suitcase and another in my carry on. Its very reassuring when taking a connection to see that the suitcase has arrived at the same airport, and also when you think you are standing a little too long at the baggage carousel, you can quickly confirm that the luggage is close by.

Without getting into iphone/android debate, the iphone ones are a lot better for tracking outside your immediate vicinity, simply because every single ios device automatically acts as a reporting tool, if someone carrying an iphone walks within 10 metres or so of you case, it's position will be recorded. AFAIR, apple state that there are 1B+ active devices worldwide. Only android phones with the appropriate 3rd party software installed will track Tiles etc.

On the other hand, the android ones are better for finding things closer by, as their immediate range is better.

2) If travelling with a suitcase, I always put some emergency source of funds in the case. If I lose my wallet, get it stolen, or gawd forbid get mugged and lose wallet AND phone, I always have a card/ cash in my suitcase.

3) Create a subfolder in your mail application called "TRIP" or whatever, and copy all emails containing confirmations, tickets,visas, travel insurance etc etc pertaining to your trip to that folder. It makes finding trip related emails a lot easier.

4) If doing multi-destinations, I never do less than 3 nights in one location. 2 nights you have either arrived that day, or are departing the next day, both of which tend to impact your agenda (either wrecked from travelling that day, or preparing to leave the following day and thus in bed early, packing up or whatever) . That extra night means I have a guaranteed uncomplicated full day/night at the location where I have neither arrived that day, nor are departing the following day.

5) If you are going to tip the staff cleaning your room, do it daily. For one thing the staff might change for day to day, but more importantly, you are likely to get better looked after if they know you are giving tips, whereas tipping at the end won't get you any benefit.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I will start with Morocco
Reddit suggests there's no tipping culture in Morocco according to locals who live there.

so my tip would be, check reddit before you go somewhere and see what the locals are saying.

Ignore what you see American tourists doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
The main thing I do is print out hard copies of boarding passes and and other relevant stuff like travel insurance docs, and keep that stashed somewhere in case my phone plays up, gets lost or whatever....no chance of getting screwed over by airlines charging silly money for passes etc.

Never get cash at an airport. Travelling in Europe now I never bother with cash full stop. Even Germany or somewhere similarly card-phobic I'd probably not bother unless I knew I was going to be miles from an ATM.

Soldato
Heres a few random generic thoughts of mine.

1) Invest in a couple of trackers, especially if you have an iphone. I've one in my suitcase and another in my carry on. Its very reassuring when taking a connection to see that the suitcase has arrived at the same airport, and also when you think you are standing a little too long at the baggage carousel, you can quickly confirm that the luggage is close by.
I have been thinking about getting some air tags. Other than knowing your luggage is close by, which it is almost 100% of the time, in the very rare chance it could be lost I'm not sure knowing where it had ended up would help or hinder my anger or anxiety!

Last edited:
Soldato
Techy forum related tips mainly -

When travelling and if you are only taking a phone/ipad or similar device then I always back this up with a very fast dual ended USB-C/A flash drive, with Ventoy installed and both a bootable Windows Mini and Linux variant, and a copy of my latest Keepass database, couple this with a compact 4G/Wi-Fi USB dongle and my spare data SIM in it (drivers on your flash drive!), and all you need is access to a PC/laptop and you have a private(ish) way to access pretty much anything you would at home, great if you are in a hotel with business centre etc. and don't want to leave a trace.
I also put a PDF copy or equivalent of all my travel documents on the flash drive, and as long as it it formatted correctly (use a separate partition) can be inserted in to almost any phone (or other device) and read from there, so if you lose your phone etc. you can easily use any other device to access them even if you have no e-mail or internet access.

On long flights if wanting to using the IFE with my decent wireless headphones I also have mini 3.5mm to BT adapter that has about 20 hour battery life, charges via USB and can connect up to two pairs of headphones at once, and act as a transmitter or receiver.

An empty generic duty free plastic carrier bag, you can take one on any flight at no cost, and you can put whatever you want in it, they never check (well not yet), great for lost cost airlines.

A tiny dinky travel umbrella, good for keeping off sun or rain, great if you don't know what conditions to expect on arrival or departure, or something goes wrong along the way.

Probably some other things, but I am tired.

Caporegime
OP
I have been thinking about getting some air tags. Other than knowing your luggage is close by, which it is almost 100% of the time, in the very rare chance it could be lost I'm not sure knowing where it had ended up would help or hinder my anger or anxiety!

It does a few things.

I keep them in my car for example, it helps to know it’s not been stolen when I’m away, and when I get back to the car park, I can find it quick enough.

The check in luggage, it tells me it has safely landed then I just waiting for it coming through the belt. So if it pings 5000 miles away then it’s no point waiting and straight onto the airline making a claim.

I even put it in my hand luggage and another in my wallet.

Soldato

The Eufy ones seem to be better and cheaper.

Soldato
This may be short lived, but if travelling with a partner, I chuck all our electronics into one laptop slip case so only one of us has to get rubbish out of a backpack when going through security. If we're going for a longer holiday this is usually a laptop, ipad, couple of kindles. Hate security and boils my blood everytime I go through it seeing the stupidity of so many people. why I never wear a belt to the airport, minimise my time there to lose my rag.

Caporegime
OP
This may be short lived, but if travelling with a partner, I chuck all our electronics into one laptop slip case so only one of us has to get rubbish out of a backpack when going through security. If we're going for a longer holiday this is usually a laptop, ipad, couple of kindles. Hate security and boils my blood everytime I go through it seeing the stupidity of so many people. why I never wear a belt to the airport, minimise my time there to lose my rag.

Paris CDG (at least in Terminal K) has new scanners in the last month installed. They no longer ask you to take out the laptop, in fact, they tell people not to. Just liquids...which also, should be short lived I think.

I really hate it too. In fact I would so much as take my watch off when in the queue so I can put it into my bag instead of having my watch in the tray.

The liquid in clear plastic bag rule also means I haven't used a travel toiletries bag in yearssssssss. I just can't be bothered having to separate things so I put all my toiletries in those clear bags.

Associate
I've seen several stories (but have not had personal experience),where airline/ground services have claimed they no not where the bag is, only for the owner to be able to tell them exactly in which part of which terminal of which airport it is.

Also, in other situations like you leave you bags to be collected and place on ferry/ bus, when you get on said ferry/bus, you can confirm that the bags are with you before you depart.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are confused s to what wine to buy, check the shelves for where there is only a few left or one, there's a good chance that's what the locals are drinking.

Soldato
Paris CDG (at least in Terminal K) has new scanners in the last month installed. They no longer ask you to take out the laptop, in fact, they tell people not to. Just liquids...which also, should be short lived I think.

I really hate it too. In fact I would so much as take my watch off when in the queue so I can put it into my bag instead of having my watch in the tray.

The liquid in clear plastic bag rule also means I haven't used a travel toiletries bag in yearssssssss. I just can't be bothered having to separate things so I put all my toiletries in those clear bags.

Thankfully they’re installing them in more and more airports, hopefully become the standard sooner.

I’ve bought a sling bag for carrying all the little bits of junk you need to carry like passport, keys, phone, airpods, chewing gum etc so I can just dump that in a box save me having to empty my pockets at security and just dump that in the box. Hopefully it’s a game changer haven’t had a chance to try it out.

Another thing I’d say is get a arcade belt so much easier than having to take it off at security and it’s actually comfy to wear and doesn’t have the stupid flap bit either.

Caporegime
OP
Thankfully they’re installing them in more and more airports, hopefully become the standard sooner.

I’ve bought a sling bag for carrying all the little bits of junk you need to carry like passport, keys, phone, airpods, chewing gum etc so I can just dump that in a box save me having to empty my pockets at security and just dump that in the box. Hopefully it’s a game changer haven’t had a chance to try it out.

Another thing I’d say is get a arcade belt so much easier than having to take it off at security and it’s actually comfy to wear and doesn’t have the stupid flap bit either.

I bought a sling bag too recently, actually I bought 2. The one I prefer best doesn’t actually fit a laptop or iPad though but it is definitely the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom