Travelling alone

Permabanned
Currently at the airport waiting for plane to goto Amsterdam.

Never travelled alone before, anyone do this frequently?

Feels a bit weird.

Soldato
Yep all the time, you get used to it. Even eating in restaurants alone these days isn't really considered odd.

Went to Australia on my own and loved it :)

Only thing I'd say is you have to have your wits about you and try to avoid getting too smashed in areas you don't know.

Soldato
So surprisingly common then.
Just need to relax a bit so in the bar.
Yeah I usually have a book with me so sitting alone in a bar isn't too weird/awkward. You get used to striking up conversations with random people which can be fun and interesting. :)

Soldato
Spent 10 years travelling for business alone, eating alone in hotel restaurants etc.

You can usually find someone to talk to in hotel bars, as they’re will always be a bunch of other business travellers bored out of their minds as well.

Avoiding getting plastered off the beaten track in a strange city is very good advice.

Soldato
Currently at the airport waiting for plane to goto Amsterdam.

Never travelled alone before, anyone do this frequently?

Feels a bit weird.

Only ever had one holiday on my own, Tokyo in 2008, 6 months after my devorce

On of the best holidays I've ever had to this day

Soldato
I travelled to Amsterdam and then on to Maastricht on my own. Went fine. Was one of my first times alone it does take a while getting used to eating in restaurants alone but I had a decent curry in Amsterdam iirc.

Soldato
Yep all the time, I'm currently in Poland (24th country now!) for the bank holiday weekend.

I like to get out the UK every 8 to 10 weeks. Have long weekends overseas on my own, i have met so many people from different parts of the world, learnt so much about different cultures.

Met a group of people from Ukraine last night, makes you appreciate being a UK citizen and the freedom to travel visa free unlike them it's limited.

So much better than the average person who spends their time on dating websites and trying to meet people that way.

Soldato
Yep I travel for work quite often so I've had to go all over the place, including to a few random countries like Slovenia and Bulgaria. I'm ok with it for the most part but it does feel odd going to certain countries on my own, not sure why. Bulgaria in particular felt pretty weird to me.

Man of Honour
Travelled alone a fair bit - though usually meeting up with someone atleast part of the trip. Personally quite happy with my own company as far as the travelling itself goes though wouldn't choose to do a whole holiday alone.

Permabanned
OP
Yep all the time, I'm currently in Poland (24th country now!) for the bank holiday weekend.

I like to get out the UK every 8 to 10 weeks. Have long weekends overseas on my own, i have met so many people from different parts of the world, learnt so much about different cultures.

Met a group of people from Ukraine last night, makes you appreciate being a UK citizen and the freedom to travel visa free unlike them it's limited.

So much better than the average person who spends their time on dating websites and trying to meet people that way.

Wow so you really enjoy it then..
Just landed it feels weird as most are with other people on the plane lol.

I work alone all day so it should be a breeze :)

Caporegime
I've always travelled alone. Travelling with a partner would be a new experience.

It depends what kind of person they are and what you are after in the destination you are at.

If you want to see places and he or she just want to relax, it can be quite jarring. Like getting up early to beat the crowds, one of you would wonder why you are getting up so early on holiday or if she takes like 2 hours to get ready and complaint about her feet hurts from walking too much because she thought those shoes looks cute. There would be a lot of compromises along the way for places to eat, things to do and even where to stay.

Soldato
I also did a lot of travel with work and spend time on my own. What is it in particular that you are conscious of?

Think of the positives, you can have a wander around and see the things you want to see, check tripadvisor and pick a restaurant that you like the look of. Once you get over the fact that you would rather be eating dinner with someone else then it’s not a big deal. I always took the approach that I’d rather do that than eating room service in my room. Surely getting out and about is the better option?

Soldato
I've done a few contikis which is an organised tour for groups, the other people are usually a mix of solo travellers or with friends/partner.

Man of Honour
I spent three years traveling alone domestically for work, followed by just over 2 years internationally including a four month stint in China.

Loved it!

Went to Thailand on my own for a holiday and really enjoyed that too, meet loads of people in random situations.

Permabanned
OP
Well I'm here. Currently at the rooftop bar its expensive but wow what a great view.. going to take it easy tonight then venture off tomorrow.

The hotel did this for my 40th free of charge :)

wqy6vl.jpg

e7hxs4.jpg

11gqeki.jpg

Back
Top Bottom