Trine 2 - GPU Usage

Soldato
Evening all.

Trine 2 is a strange beast, performance wise.

Chucked everything on max at 1920x1200 and I get around 45-50FPS on a GTX680 with ~1238Mhz boosted clocks.

Paired with a 2600k at 4.5GHz.

The performance is smooth as and I have no complaints but noticed the GPU usage at only around 85-88%. Why does the game not push more GPU usage to squeeze some more frames out?

Does Trine 2 react differently to certain performance metrics - Memory bandwidth, single core clock speed?

CPU is not even being taxed at all, barely seeing 40% usage on 1 core.

Any ideas?

Soldato
It has a frame rate limiter on in the options which could be enabled. The very high setting really hurts framerates and is a great performance test on my system which has 2x 580gtx 3gb cards in SLI. Easily the hottest gpu inducing game I've ever played also.

Soldato
OP
FPS limiter is off.

I whacked everything to absolute max and the game does indeed look stunning. Just strange seeing how it is quite an intensive title it does not prompt 100% GPU usage.

Man of Honour
Its pretty hard to load a GPU up 100% outside of synthetic benchmarks especially if the CPU is busy at times processing gameplay stuff.

Soldato
OP
Its pretty hard to load a GPU up 100% outside of synthetic benchmarks especially if the CPU is busy at times processing gameplay stuff.

BF3, for example, manages it.

Just seemed a little off compared to other intensive titles. It plays fine so I do not really care - was just curious.

Man of Honour
Not tried BF3 but a lot of games I only see 80-90% GPU useage even when I know the GPU is working flat out as effectively as it can more or less for that game.

Have you tried increasing the level of AA for instance to see if it puts more strain on the GPU?

Soldato
OP
Not tried BF3 but a lot of games I only see 80-90% GPU useage even when I know the GPU is working flat out as effectively as it can more or less for that game.

Have you tried increasing the level of AA for instance to see if it puts more strain on the GPU?

It's on absolute Extreme settings.

16xAF, 4xSSAA, High Post Process AA

A brief read reveals SSAA is quite memory bandwidth intensive, possible it's hitting that limit before the GPU core is?

Might try upping my memory clock more and see.

Edit - Chucked another 125Mhz on the memory and did not see any differences.

Last edited:
Associate
Set it to 8 or 16 ssaa in the ini if you want to see your system grind to a halt:) 4 is smooth as butter on 480 sli, 8 drops it to about 30 16 makes it a slide show. Nice looking slide show though:)

Back
Top Bottom