Trooping the Colour - the question you shouldn't ask

Soldato
Stressing over not going to the toilet for a planned 2.5 hours sounds like a post retirement issue.

Car journeys over 2.5 hours?
Work shifts over 2.5 hours?

How do people manage it :eek:

Associate
OP
Well I'm no royalist but I do think that events such as Trooping the Colour show some serious disciplined showmanship which doesn't do the country any harm.

I posted the original topic simply because I do wonder whether the existing arrangements have been in place so long now that although they look good they may not be suited to the modern society.

I'd like to see it continue but maybe shorter in duration and with the guardsmen dressed in somewhat more comfortable, lighter dress without headwear weighing about half a stone!

The comments here from those in the know suggest that those involved endure some difficult and even unpleasant conditions whilst doing their duty. I used to be involved with policing and just look at how much more suited their attire is nowadays compared to 25 years ago.

So maybe it's time for an upgrade - but that doesn't need to mean the end of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
the short answer is they just hold it in, the smart ones probably hold off the liquids beforehand to help but otherwise it's strength of will.

kind of the point really, it's the ultimate show of discipline to have people prepared to do that for you.

Soldato
I regularly go 4-6 hours between toilet breaks at work. I'm sure I'll have associated problems when I'm older, but it's not an issue at all now.

Soldato
What I'm more worried about is pilot friends of mine that have said they always run a little dehydrated to avoid the faff of coming out and going to the loo. Personally I feel terrible.. grouchy, can't concentrate etc if I'm not hydrated (99% of the time I'll have a drink in front of me, I generally don't go out without a water bottle). Doesn't sound ideal for people that need to be alert and on top of their game to be dehydrated!

Soldato
What I'm more worried about is pilot friends of mine that have said they always run a little dehydrated to avoid the faff of coming out and going to the loo. Personally I feel terrible.. grouchy, can't concentrate etc if I'm not hydrated (99% of the time I'll have a drink in front of me, I generally don't go out without a water bottle). Doesn't sound ideal for people that need to be alert and on top of their game to be dehydrated!

How on top of their game are they going to be with a toilet demand at the wrong time. That would mess with mental and physical.

The only way you can be happy hydrating all day at work is if you have freedom to take a toilet break whenever. Like a non-public facing role in a building with a toilet.

Associate
OP
the short answer is they just hold it in, the smart ones probably hold off the liquids beforehand to help but otherwise it's strength of will.

kind of the point really, it's the ultimate show of discipline to have people prepared to do that for you.

I suppose the majority of those involved are of an age where they can simply decide to 'hold it in' as you say. That's a decision that sometimes gets taken out of your own hands as you get older, though. Hopefully they're always successful.

Caporegime
So the question isn't, what is the actual point of it ?

Even to ardent royalists it's a dud gig, it's not even mildly entertaining, moving or spectacular.
The purpose is to inflate the egos of those at the top. To reassure them that they still have importance, status, and the power to make others do pretty much anything they desire, including standing still for two hours (or until you pass out).

Beyond that it's every bit as pointless as common sense tells you it is. It's a complete waste of human life. "You there, stand absolutely still for two hours. Because I'm lord Chattington-Smythe of House Dipspit."

Soldato
The purpose is to inflate the egos of those at the top. To reassure them that they still have importance, status, and the power to make others do pretty much anything they desire, including standing still for two hours (or until you pass out).
"

No it isn't :confused: ...and anyhow, they do have power, more so than you anyway. Perhaps that is what bothers you.

Soldato
Whenever people talk about getting rid of the monarchy I always think we'd end up looking rather a lot like the USA. How depressing. Having the history, and class sets us apart from other countries like that.

Caporegime
No it isn't :confused: ...and anyhow, they do have power, more so than you anyway. Perhaps that is what bothers you.
I can't say it bothers me. If there are people who want to stand rigidly still for hours on end, to please her majesty; and if her majesty desires that people stand rigidly still for hours on end... it's free world, let them.

I really can't understand the desire to publicly demonstrate subservience in such a way, to a family born into extreme privilege. I'd do it if pressed into it by some means, but I wouldn't be interested otherwise; nor would I consider it to be some kind of honour or privilege.

Also like I said, it would appear to be a horrid waste of human life, which is short enough at the end of the day. Spending any length of time stood rigidly still, for the sole purpose of keeping up appearances... how ridiculous.

But then I seem to be more or less in the minority, however, of people who don't idolise the monarchy, or place some value on these pointless traditions.

Back
Top Bottom