Trooping the Colour - the question you shouldn't ask

Permabanned
A healthy but sedentary person going without fluid in a cool climate for a few hours is hardly in danger of any sort of dehydration,
jeezus p. moncrieff, some folk like worrying themselves to death.

Soldato
I can't say it bothers me. If there are people who want to stand rigidly still for hours on end, to please her majesty; and if her majesty desires that people stand rigidly still for hours on end... it's free world, let them.

I really can't understand the desire to publicly demonstrate subservience in such a way, to a family born into extreme privilege. I'd do it if pressed into it by some means, but I wouldn't be interested otherwise; nor would I consider it to be some kind of honour or privilege.

Also like I said, it would appear to be a horrid waste of human life, which is short enough at the end of the day. Spending any length of time stood rigidly still, for the sole purpose of keeping up appearances... how ridiculous.

But then I seem to be more or less in the minority, however, of people who don't idolise the monarchy, or place some value on these pointless traditions.

Some traditions and values are basis for a society that works together, has meaning and progresses. Why have knighthoods? Why have Christmas? Why celebrate a birthday? It's all pointless if that's your view. However, the trooping is quite clearly not pointless. I'd wager those guards have contributed exponentialy more to this country and society than you ever will. They did that by simply standing there and tourists flocking to see them carry out this "pointless" task. Poor you!

We could all just sit in our mums basements criticising the outside world, that's easy though.

Lol at that as a job. Subservient fools.
Go on, what amazing job do you have? For all you know, these guys get paid a decent wage and love the duty. It's essentially down time when they're not deployed.

Do you consider yourself a Freeman by any chance? :D

Soldato
The army is a pretty well paid job TBH, with a lot of perks. Most people will leave in their 30s/40s with a full pension, a list of qualifications and walk in to an even higher paying job. Not a bad career choice at all really, even after all the cut backs.

The guys doing this will get picked or volunteer and it's not like it's the same people doing it every year.

Soldato
The army is a pretty well paid job TBH, with a lot of perks. Most people will leave in their 30s/40s with a full pension, a list of qualifications and walk in to an even higher paying job. Not a bad career choice at all really, even after all the cut backs.

The guys doing this will get picked or volunteer and it's not like it's the same people doing it every year.
Indeedy, and guess who comes running when your fire service are on strike, your police force can't cope or you've people stuck in floods? These "subservient fools".

Caporegime
Some traditions and values are basis for a society that works together, has meaning and progresses. Why have knighthoods? Why have Christmas? Why celebrate a birthday? It's all pointless if that's your view. However, the trooping is quite clearly not pointless. I'd wager those guards have contributed exponentialy more to this country and society than you ever will. They did that by simply standing there and tourists flocking to see them carry out this "pointless" task. Poor you!

We could all just sit in our mums basements criticising the outside world, that's easy though.

Go on, what amazing job do you have? For all you know, these guys get paid a decent wage and love the duty. It's essentially down time when they're not deployed.

Do you consider yourself a Freeman by any chance? :D
You're straw-manning. Badly. Or well.

I quite clearly said that standing motionless for hours was pointless. That's very specific. And no, if all they did was stand still for hours on end they wouldn't have contributed much to this country. Beyond say the contribution that a statue makes. Which is arguably not nothing, but a lot less than just about anyone with a real job.

If you want to argue against that feel free. But I'm not going to respond when you argue against positions I have not proposed. I didn't say those servicemen have contributed nothing. I would guess they have some function beyond standing still for hours on end, although I know little of their other activities.

Also the rest of your post is nonsense. What does any of this have to do with Freemen? You're rambling. And none of this has anything to do with my job. Try to stay on-point.

Do you honestly think that tourists flock to this country specifically to see servicemen stand still for hours on end? I would think that has to be a complete load of crap, Cod.

Once again this country demonstrates how easy it is to placate/distract vast sections of the populace with displays of pomp hearkening back to Empire. Sad. So we can muster a whole ton of people in fancy dress standing around motionless. Go us. Meanwhile the country is pretty much a shambles in all other respects. But hey, look mummy, that man in the funny hat is completely still!

Soldato

I quite clearly said that standing motionless for hours was pointless. That's very specific. And no, if all they did was stand still for hours on end they wouldn't have contributed much to this country. Beyond say the contribution that a statue makes. Which is arguably not nothing, but a lot less than just about anyone with a real job.

If you want to argue against that feel free. But I'm not going to respond when you argue against positions I have not proposed. I didn't say those servicemen have contributed nothing. I would guess they have some function beyond standing still for hours on end, although I know little of their other activities.

Also the rest of your post is nonsense. What does any of this have to do with Freemen? You're rambling. And none of this has anything to do with my job. Try to stay on-point.

Do you honestly think that tourists flock to this country specifically to see servicemen stand still for hours on end? I would think that has to be a complete load of crap, Cod.

Once again this country demonstrates how easy it is to placate/distract vast sections of the populace with displays of pomp hearkening back to Empire. Sad. So we can muster a whole ton of people in fancy dress standing around motionless. Go us. Meanwhile the country is pretty much a shambles in all other respects. But hey, look mummy, that man in the funny hat is completely still!

You've misread my post, half of it was not aimed at you. Read again.

I see your point though, it's something you don't agree with, therfore "it's pointless". Much like your endeavours in weight loss and earning 50k. Alas, it's a pretty narrow minded view point, particularly since your own admission that you're in a minority with that view.

And nope, no tourists are attracted to see the guards :rolleyes:... Who's the shambles eh? :D

Associate
OP
You mean like is a hereditary monarchy compatible with a 21st century secular democracy?

It was actually a fairly mundane, almost light-hearted question. It wasn't really meant to generate a confrontational debate about the future of the monarchy!!!

Caporegime
You know there are some questions you just shouldn't ask but really want to...

...I was watching the TV coverage of Trooping the Colour in London yesterday and the commentator made reference to the fact that some of the guardsmen are in position and unable to move for around two and a half hours. Add in preparation time, getting to their posts and then the return journey and that's an absolute age.

So what happens if erm, nature calls?

Seriously? Are they advised not to drink for hours beforehand or something? I'm forever reading that none of us drink enough water and should have two litres a day, etc. Surely it's a bit unhumane to ask these lads to stand in furnace like conditions and clothing and not drink for fear of needing a wee?

Does anyone actually know how these events are managed for those involved?

The 2L a day thing is BS, there are no clinical studies to back it up.

Associate
OP
The 2L a day thing is BS, there are no clinical studies to back it up.

Well all l can say is that I was told to drink two litres daily after getting a kidney stone and my GP gave me a real ticking off when I told him I wasn't really drinking as much as instructed.

Caporegime
You've misread my post, half of it was not aimed at you. Read again.

I see your point though, it's something you don't agree with, therfore "it's pointless". Much like your endeavours in weight loss and earning 50k. Alas, it's a pretty narrow minded view point, particularly since your own admission that you're in a minority with that view.

And nope, no tourists are attracted to see the guards :rolleyes:... Who's the shambles eh? :D

Not 100% sure what my weight or salary has to do with this. Like a good ad hominem, do you? (Also Chrome I am disappoint; it wants to correct "hominem" to "Eminem"... really? That's poor.)

You seem perfectly incapable of processing precisely what I'm saying, and it seems unlikely that this conversation will yield anything other than a dull exchange of insults, so I'll leave you to it.

I guess for some standing still for hours on end is something of an achievement; to admire and aspire to. I can only imagine what kind of person would think that way.

Caporegime
Well all l can say is that I was told to drink two litres daily after getting a kidney stone and my GP gave me a real ticking off when I told him I wasn't really drinking as much as instructed.

You had a medical condition which requires increased fluid intake as a prophylactic measure, that does not apply to the normal population. 2L a day is an easily achievable and safe fluid intake level which pretty much guarantees adequate hydration in the average person which is why your GP suggested that.

Associate
OP
You had a medical condition which requires increased fluid intake as a prophylactic measure, that does not apply to the normal population. 2L a day is an easily achievable and safe fluid intake level which pretty much guarantees adequate hydration in the average person which is why your GP suggested that.

Fair enough

Caporegime

Yes lots of tourists come foe the trouping of the colour.

Back
Top Bottom