True Handleless kitchens

Associate
I think you'll find most of the German suppliers buy their doors from one of a few Italian suppliers. The Nobila 'Fashion' range looks like the Rotpunkt door (image below) which is a lacquered finish, it feels silky smooth. I must admit the Hacker door looks good. I doubt it will make any difference in reality.

5BXC9

Going back to the layout you posted, I'd suggest finishing the end panel which is between the oven housing and the floor units so that it doesn't interrupt the plinth line. If you particularly like the lacquered finish then you might want to consider getting the matching lacquered end panels. It doesn't look like you have one on the left hand side of the fridge (?), or either side of the wall unit on the right. I'd also suggest getting a handle less end panel on the end of the right hand run so that the handle less profile continues up to the wall.

Be careful with the corner unit where the 200mm boxing in is, it looks like it'll be OK but if you have a pull out unit in there it might interfere with it. I'd suggest going with a 900mm corner with a 450mm door as this means the corner unit won't need to be modified.

I'd look at the slimline laminate tops, they look better with the handle less kitchens in my opinion. I'd also lose the tiling, its very out dated now, get matching worktop cladding on the walls.

If you're looking for the best price, supply your own appliances.

If you trust me an email address I can send you a quote, we'd be around 9k. About £2000 for a dry fit install (no electrical connections or plumbing). That includes bespoke laminate worktops (16mm) with matching wall cladding and lacquered end panels.

Soldato
OP
I think you'll find most of the German suppliers buy their doors from one of a few Italian suppliers. The Nobila 'Fashion' range looks like the Rotpunkt door (image below) which is a lacquered finish, it feels silky smooth. I must admit the Hacker door looks good. I doubt it will make any difference in reality.

I am torn between the two; the Hacker feels so much better (finish is like that on a brand new iPhone cable - slightly soft touch) but the Rotpunkt is the nicer white and the finish feels like it might wear better.

Going back to the layout you posted, I'd suggest finishing the end panel which is between the oven housing and the floor units so that it doesn't interrupt the plinth line. If you particularly like the lacquered finish then you might want to consider getting the matching lacquered end panels. It doesn't look like you have one on the left hand side of the fridge (?), or either side of the wall unit on the right. I'd also suggest getting a handle less end panel on the end of the right hand run so that the handle less profile continues up to the wall.

Be careful with the corner unit where the 200mm boxing in is, it looks like it'll be OK but if you have a pull out unit in there it might interfere with it. I'd suggest going with a 900mm corner with a 450mm door as this means the corner unit won't need to be modified.
Having now ripped out the kitchen and seen what is behind the boxing in the corner, once the pipes hidden behind are chased into the wall, there will be no more boxing present.

Updated measurements, now tiles are off the wall. Taken as if you are facing the hob.

Left wall: 2870
Centre wall: 2700
Right wall: 3400

On the right wall, there are three measurements; wall, window, wall.

Wall: 520
Window: 1780
Wall: 1100

Does that affect any of your design? It's a little different from what I originally had, but not massively so.

'd look at the slimline laminate tops, they look better with the handle less kitchens in my opinion. I'd also lose the tiling, its very out dated now, get matching worktop cladding on the walls.
Tiling was just from the designer, the wall finish is proving tricky to decide upon.

I'd like matte/frosted glass throughout, but the window reveal would look terrible as you can't have the edges of the glass the same opaque finish as the rest. And I don't want edging strips.

Second thought and the one that is now currently winning is to have the entire kitchen finished in polished concrete render. Like this:

FXMJZd0.jpg

That would leave options with the worktop and to go with your suggestion of something slim and modern.

If you trust me an email address I can send you a quote, we'd be around 9k. About £2000 for a dry fit install (no electrical connections or plumbing). That includes bespoke laminate worktops (16mm) with matching wall cladding and lacquered end panels.
I'll certainly be in touch. Need to get my hands on a Nobilo door as it is certainly looking like an option.

What are the specs of the carcasses, doors, back panels, etc?

Soldato
OP
On the subject of worktops, about the only good thing Wren had on display was their super matt worktops - thin and with a slightly soft-touch effect.

Any ideas who manufacturers them?

Soldato
OP
Doesn’t necessarily bother me - as long as it looks good and feels solid, I’m okay with that.

What are your thoughts on Dekton?

Soldato
OP
My one issue with a solid material is that I prefer an integrated drainer with the sink unit, not keen on having one ground into the worktop.

Was looking at the Blanco Divon II 8 S-IF as it is a very thin, almost flush surface mount unit. Can you have something similar with stone or do you have to have an undermount?

Soldato
@PFarrey

Here was the initial design of mine. I ran out patience with the Ikea planner tool though so it's not even in the cupboard style we want (light grey shaker style).

My wife doesn't want any wall cupboards so ignore the one i have put in!, she'd much rather just have a few shelves. We will also have a utility room which will house a fridge/freezer and shelf space for tins etc so don't need a fridge built in. Just a dishwasher. The oven needs to be in a tall unit as my wife has trouble bending down. Doesn't need to be double though we would like a built in microwave.

8dBA30m.png

Also the dimensions. The room is about 8m in length and 2.9m wide. The plan is to have the end of the island bit around 5m so we are left with a 3m space for other uses

eDq3kst.png

Any thoughts you have on a rough layout would be greatly appreciated.

Also - Apologies to @glitch for the thread hijack :p

Soldato
OP
Well, it looks like Hacker are out of the running. Did a stain test on a sample door and... yeah.

I used a bunch of condiments and other things likely to splash on a door - from top to bottom we have:

Cholula hot sauce
Ketchup / Sriracha
Mustard / Balsamic Glaze
Hoisin / Kewpie Mayo
Teabag / Coffee

h3V9RPS.jpg

And here's the door after a couple of hours, washed with soapy water:

B324UCP.jpg

A slightly extreme test, but I'm shocked how easily it stained. Currently doing the same with my Rotpunkt... but I'm not hopeful it'll be much different.

Is any matte-effect finish likely to be the same? I mean, I don't go around splashing mustard everywhere, but it doesn't feel like it'll stand up to even light use with grubby hands.

Soldato
Thing is, if you spill something what're the chances of leaving it on there for a few hours anyway?

We've had acrylic doors for around 8 years now and i'd say there aren't any staining. However they are a shiny gloss so have got swirl mark scartches.

Soldato
OP
Well, that's kind of the point of the test - you might splash something accidentally and not spot it for a little while. Although that being said, the mustard stains on contact.

Soldato
That is some dedicated testing dude! I'm surprised the gloss stains so easily, maybe you have to clean it with something else?

One thing to consider is worktop profile I think, for our quartz I was thinking of shark nose, but it basically encourages spillages down into the cabinets... And if they stain that easily then dam.

Still recommend heading into Schmidt kitchens and getting quote, very happy so far.

Soldato
OP
I'm about to drop 10k on something - I need to know it's going to last!

Will pop in to Schmidt tomorrow and have a chat.

Soldato
Integrated microwaves are expensive and do nothing my £30 counter-top model couldn't do. I use my microwave heavily for all sort of cooking and counter-top wins every day.

I might be off the mark, but I have a Siemens oven with a compact oven/microwave above it.

http://www.siemens-home.bsh-group.com/uk/productlist/exclusive/HB675GBS1B
http://www.siemens-home.bsh-group.c...s-with-tft-display/CM633GBS1B?breadcrumb=null

I don't know your budget but I think they are both fantastic. A lot of settings and things to play with, without sacrificing too much space.

I do get the whole 'not much use outside hosting/ big dinner parties/ etc.'

Back
Top Bottom