Tumble Dryers

Associate
Mine costs nothing like that, when the drier is on the whole house readings average around 0.8kwh, with the odd high off about 1.2kwh.

That’s really good, with your tariff what is that costing you, per hour? I’m only speaking from experience of fitting thousands of monitors over an 8 year period. Our monitors show the exact cost, per hour of any apliance in the home, and are attached to the customers account so tariff details are on the machine. They also show energy consumption in kw/h and also the customers carbon footprint (kg/h), when we demonstrate the monitor the 2 appliances we go to, to show big readings are always the tumble drier or the kettle. Like I say I’d be hard pushed to find many driers under 40p an hour, to be honest though, driers don’t use the same energy from start to finish which would change things, like an electric oven the consumption would come and go depending on cycle

Man of Honour
I try to avoid using our tumble dryer and almost always use the rack I stead. But occasionally we need something dry quickly so put it in the dryer. But often we will either start it or finish it in the dryer and then put it on the rack for the rest of the time.

Soldato
That’s really good, with your tariff what is that costing you, per hour? I’m only speaking from experience of fitting thousands of monitors over an 8 year period. Our monitors show the exact cost, per hour of any apliance in the home, and are attached to the customers account so tariff details are on the machine. They also show energy consumption in kw/h and also the customers carbon footprint (kg/h), when we demonstrate the monitor the 2 appliances we go to, to show big readings are always the tumble drier or the kettle. Like I say I’d be hard pushed to find many driers under 40p an hour, to be honest though, driers don’t use the same energy from start to finish which would change things, like an electric oven the consumption would come and go depending on cycle
No idea impossible to work out without monitoring only the drier. Its listed as 1.98 kwh/cycle so on my tariff that's 29.2p for the cycle.

Soldato
We had a tumble dryer catch fire in 2010. The missus and then 3 year old son were in the house while I was working nights. Luckily the fire dept are literally 2 minutes away and it was contained to the laundry room but smoke damage was throughout the house.

My advice is never leave a tumble dryer unattended. Tinder dry lint and heat is never a good combination.
I've had dishwasher catch fire, very nearly took the house with it!

Soldato
No idea impossible to work out without monitoring only the drier. Its listed as 1.98 kwh/cycle so on my tariff that's 29.2p for the cycle.
I had got one of these from Maplin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEfjb1b71Po , thought it was <£10
and you can monitor any product using a standard plug, over a period of days, just set it to 10p a unit, you then know easily Kw/h+cost down to 0.1p accuracy.

which have become a click-bait company and maybe their 2014 survey was/is not statistically significant, but
The consumer body’s analysis of government fire data revealed that:

• 14% of fires caused by faulty, badly-maintained or improperly-installed appliances were due to washing machines;
    • 12% were due to tumble dryers;
    • 11% were due to dishwashers;
    • 9% were due to cookers;
    • 7% were due to fridges, freezers and combined fridge-freezers;

Soldato
I had got one of these from Maplin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEfjb1b71Po , thought it was <£10
and you can monitor any product using a standard plug, over a period of days, just set it to 10p a unit, you then know easily Kw/h+cost down to 0.1p accuracy.

which have become a click-bait company and maybe their 2014 survey was/is not statistically significant, but
Not going to be buying anything to check figures for someone else. My Owl gives me all the info i require, mostly use it to keep an eye on the whole house lets me know if something is wrong somewhere.

Soldato
Can someone explain the advantages of a £800-1200 tumble dryer as opposed to a £1 drying rack from poundland?
When your toddler has puked on every sheet and towel in the house, it's nice to have a quick turnaround on getting them clean so the mattress doesn't take the hit next.

Soldato
Like I say I’d be hard pushed to find many driers under 40p an hour, to be honest though, driers don’t use the same energy from start to finish which would change things, like an electric oven the consumption would come and go depending on cycle
I pay ~12p per unit so the most a dryer could possibly consume would be 36p per hour.

Man of Honour
OP
Can someone explain the advantages of a £800-1200 tumble dryer as opposed to a £1 drying rack from poundland?

Not sure if you’re being serious, first off, our Bosch washing machine and Bosch tumble dryer were bought at the same time, from Currys, maybe 3 years ago, around £800 for the two machines.
I assume a drying rack is what I remember as my mother’s clothes horse, if this was the 1950s, maybe we’d all have them.
A tumble dryer will dry a full load in 60-70 minutes, you’d have to have 2 or 3 racks, or one king size one to dry anything like that amount, and unless it was out in the hot sun, it would take all day.
Of course, the rack has virtually zero chance of igniting though.

You may as well ask what are the advantages of living in a £175,000 house, as opposed to a £500 tent.

Soldato
I dont understand not having a clothes horse. Even in this day and age, there's a lot of garments that should not be put in a tumble dryer. Where do you put that stuff if you dont have a clothes horse?
Nothing i cant put in my dryer. Not good air drying clothes indoors, we dry some stuff in the garage, mostly things like work wear and my mountain bike clothes.

Man of Honour
OP
I dont understand not having a clothes horse. Even in this day and age, there's a lot of garments that should not be put in a tumble dryer. Where do you put that stuff if you dont have a clothes horse?

With the best will in the world James, my hand to God, I honestly can’t remember the last time I even saw a clothes horse.
Some of my wife’s jeans she won’t put in the dryer, and will hang them over a level bannister, same with the occasional blouse or shirt, she’ll put them on a coat hanger, and put them on a door knob.

Soldato
Power usage plug was one of my best purchases - taught me not to leave the coffee machine on standby.
... they put all these smart IOT features in products ... but not something that tells you how much electricity it has used.

agree .. lycra clothing for cycling, swimming garment, both get ruined in a dryer ... and if you leave it out overnight it is really quick drying.

Based on 160 cycles a year, it’s a saving that is tough to ignore.
To paint a more realistic picture of the overall cost of ownership, it’s worth factoring in how much it costs to run different models.
For example, while the B-rated Hotpoint Aquarius TCM580BP Condenser seems like a bargain with the up-front cost of around £240, lifetime costs, in reality, stack up to £1,413. Compare this to the Grundig GTN38267GCW Heat Pump, which has a more prohibitive purchase price of £650, but just an £981 lifetime cost.

Soldato
I avoided getting one for years because of the running costs. But the wife insisted, I gave up. We bought a heat pump model, monitored it for a couple months. Its using about 0.8kWh, £40 a year. Bonus, now I have liters of pure condensed water for the steam iron.

Soldato
Only certain tumble dryers had issues, the one I've got does not (I've checked)

I have known washing machines catch fire though. Only just got it disconnected and pushed out the back door when it went up like a torch.

I avoided getting one for years because of the running costs. But the wife insisted, I gave up. We bought a heat pump model, monitored it for a couple months. Its using about 0.8kWh, £40 a year. Bonus, now I have liters of pure condensed water for the steam iron.

Aye they're minimum cost maximum convenience bung them in the drum switch on for 50 minutes, bone dry. Considering what people used to do to dry clothes (clothes horse, drying rack) its an amazing convenience. I can remember wash day at my grandma's house. Boil wash, bring the rack down from the ceiling, load it up, pull the rope to raise it again. Whole kitchen/washhouse absolutely full of steam/damp. Never dry clothes indoors unless you have leave the windows open all day too much humidity.

n.b. do people not have washing lines these days? My mother still hangs out the washing when the weathers good, otherwise it goes in the dryer. I'm in a flat so a dryer is the only option.

Last edited:
Soldato

I have known washing machines catch fire though. Only just got it disconnected and pushed out the back door when it went up like a torch.

Aye they're minimum cost maximum convenience bung them in the drum switch on for 50 minutes, bone dry. Considering what people used to do to dry clothes (clothes horse, drying rack) its an amazing convenience. I can remember wash day at my grandma's house. Boil wash, bring the rack down from the ceiling, load it up, pull the rope to raise it again. Whole kitchen/washhouse absolutely full of steam/damp. Never dry clothes indoors unless you have leave the windows open all day too much humidity.

n.b. do people not have washing lines these days? My mother still hangs out the washing when the weathers good, otherwise it goes in the dryer. I'm in a flat so a dryer is the only option.

We do but we have neighbour that like to BBQ constantly. Not a fan of clothes that smell of burnt meat. So tend to use the drier all year round, it uses even less power in summer to dry. Winter it uses more and takes a lot longer.

Man of Honour
OP

Washing lines? I thought that they went out at the same time as bowler hats.
I remember when we first bought our house, in the shadow of Tower Bridge, in 1984/85, my wife was in the throes of sorting out a new tumble dryer for the place, when her mother said, “Get a clothes line, temporarily.”
My wife said, “You’re kidding I hope, we’re not from Coronation Street, mum.”

Soldato
Washing lines? I thought that they went out at the same time as bowler hats.
dried inside smells different ... but this is why we have these fancy flavoured fabric conditioners.

But the wife insisted, I gave up. We bought a heat pump model, monitored it for a couple months. Its using about 0.8kWh, £40 a year. Bonus
that's good, which brand, did it need external evacuation ? I had read samsungs, was it ? don't do reverse tumble.

Back
Top Bottom