Tuned up small engines?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
triggerthat said:
Was just curious to know if anyone has tuned up a small engine for example a 1.0litre and if there is any projects on the internet?

Most people take a small car, say a K11 Micra and stick in an engine of the same manufacturer which would be more at home in a Skyline or a 200SX.

Suzuki Cappucinos and Daihatsu copens (about 600cc each) are popular tuning machines. So are Punto GTs (1.4, 130bhp standard) if you want you join the HGF club. Also, Daiharsu Mira turbos are popular to mod too. All have the capacity to be fun little projects but all are gonna cost three figures to buy for either being rare, rather new or both.

For example:
Cappucino Sport

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Whats the 0-60 on those Supercharged-Turbo Micras?
If you ever got them running long enough to get 0-60 that is :o

Associate
Is there not a new golf coming out with a turbo and super charger ( think that is right) which has a 1.4 engine but still gets to 60 in about 7 seconds.

As for changing a small engined car to make it go quicker, I think as stated it is best to just buy a new car.

Associate
I know there is someone on TOC (toyotaownersclub) who has 1.0L yaris that does 0-60 in about 9.0, same as the 1.5 T Sport....and the turbo bolt on kit cost him about £1000 from ebay (same engine as Scion I believe). Im guessing it has to be around 105bhp (T Sport's BHP) from the standard 68bhp. Which isnt a bad gain....but personally I would rather save up for a nicer car or get a T Sport 2nd hand...as I know I could get a T Sport if I sold my 1.0L Yaris privately....but would be older, etc so will wait till I can afford the 2007 Civic Type-R (gorgeous car!)

Also the 1.0L is meant to be good for 200bhp if you run high enough boost and replace all the regular parts such as pistons, etc.

Also with the current K20A engine (civic type-r) there is someone in France who has taken it from 197bhp to about 510bhp last time I heard (is a track car).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Mic said:
Whats the 0-60 on those Supercharged-Turbo Micras?
If you ever got them running long enough to get 0-60 that is :o
The March super-turbo did 0-60 in low 7 seconds which was quite a feat for the 80's. It must have been the Jap turbo nutter mobile of its time.

I haven't done anything as small as a 1 litre but was going to do an all out race 997cc for my Anglia as an interim angine until I got the work done on the bigger one. Basically because the head and cams etc are the same across the board on the older Ford engines I could use my full race head and cam off my knackered 1660cc race lump on a fresh 997cc bottom end. The 1660cc is good for about 150hp and the 997cc would develop about 120hp. Basically the difference is that the 1660 builds a lot of torque in comparison and revs to about 7-8000rpm. The 997 on the other hand would be almost the same spec as a Ford formula 1 engine of the early 60's and rev to over 10,000rpm. The reason is the head wouldn't need to flow as much and there is nowhere near as much rotating mass as on the bigger engine so it could rev that high quite freely.

The downside is that engine would be near useless on the road until it went over 5000rpm and it would have been a right handful in traffic etc. Would have been a serious laff though :D

There's a lad over on Retro Rides who has turbo'd up some 800cc Hillman Imp engines to some success. I think he was talking figures of about 120-130hp and he was running them on paint thinners for the extra octane :cool:

Soldato
yoo hoo! i see a few people mentioning me in here. i have a mira classic which is 659cc turbo. in stock form its about 0 to 60 in 9 seconds, top speed around 100. classic and sports car reviewed it and said upto 20mph u need a fireblade to keep up :p

for the interest one of the most powerful is the daihatsu storia x4 built as a buy from showroom, race next day motorsport car. the japanese goverment made them turn the boost down so it was 120 bhp from 713cc. you can adjust the nut again on the actuator to get 140 bhp and daihatsu racing did special kits to take em upto 200 bhp. theres one on ebay at the moment too! :eek:

Soldato
Enfield said:
Drexel, 1.3? :eek:

I never new that, always had the impression they where more like 2 litres! Wow, just wow. :D

It's a rotary engine though ;)

Think it's more in the region of 3x1.3l, but not directly comparable. I'm sure Drexel can explain better..

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Enfield said:
Drexel, 1.3? :eek:

That's what it says on the V5 ;)

In all honesty it's an area of debate as to weather the Mazda 13B Rotary is actually a 1.3. The official UK cars are classed as 2.6 due to an 'agreement' with the government :rolleyes:

Officially, according to Mazda, it's 2 x 654cc (654cc per rotor). Therefor, 1308cc. That's also whay it's called the '13B', and the three rotor version is the '20B', as it's 3 x 654cc, so almost 2.0.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know a guy with a N/A 1.4 a-series in his mini thats pushing out 160bhp. His brother has a similar spec, and pushing out 180bhp.

However, in most cars, if you want more power - stick in a bigger engine ;)

Back
Top Bottom