TV Licence Super Thread

Associate
I do find myself wondering why the BBC gets to do things the way it does. Years and years ago when TV was new and there weren't lots of channels, I could understand having to pay for a licence. It could help to support TV in general. But now it just comes across as very outdated to me. They seem to have an unfair advantage over competitors, as they have a much easier way of getting money out of us.

Soldato
I do find myself wondering why the BBC gets to do things the way it does. Years and years ago when TV was new and there weren't lots of channels, I could understand having to pay for a licence. It could help to support TV in general. But now it just comes across as very outdated to me. They seem to have an unfair advantage over competitors, as they have a much easier way of getting money out of us.
You say that, but BBC get zero advertising income. Other channels can charge £30,000 for a single advert slot. It's not hard to work out which method will deliver more cash.

You're right about the historic relevance though - basically we have a TV license because that's how it's always been done. And to be fair it's only the last 10 years or so where viewing habits have really shifted off of broadcast.

Caporegime
Apart from Amazon also do live streams. Not sure its got anything to do with taking the easy route.

I mean ease as its thier platform.

They can't really police Amazon that's dont to user honesty

You say that, but BBC get zero advertising income. Other channels can charge £30,000 for a single advert slot. It's not hard to work out which method will deliver more cash.

You're right about the historic relevance though - basically we have a TV license because that's how it's always been done. And to be fair it's only the last 10 years or so where viewing habits have really shifted off of broadcast.

No they don't BBC worldwide or whatever the commercial international arm has adverts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/corporate2/insidethebbc/howwework/policiesandguidelines/advertising.html

I do find myself wondering why the BBC gets to do things the way it does. Years and years ago when TV was new and there weren't lots of channels, I could understand having to pay for a licence. It could help to support TV in general. But now it just comes across as very outdated to me. They seem to have an unfair advantage over competitors, as they have a much easier way of getting money out of us.[/QUOTE

The main reason is they have a royal charter and as such are required to spend money on technology and r&d and other loss making expenses.

As such they are compensated with the license fee as well has being removed from the commercial world in the UK.

All the commercial channels use standards and technology heavily developed by the BBC without having to bear any of the cost.

So it's swings and round abouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
BBC still manages to make millions by selling dvd/BR of old shows/series. Stuff that we've already paid for through the license fee. The entire back catalogue should be made available online.

Then the license fee might be justified.

Soldato
BBC still manages to make millions by selling dvd/BR of old shows/series. Stuff that we've already paid for through the license fee. The entire back catalogue should be made available online.

Then the license fee might be justified.
Interesting angle.

The BBC being very invested in R&D, they have their entire digital back catalogue available 24/7 to staff via an online system. So we know they have access, it's just a case of having the full server load/bandwidth for public use.

Soldato
I don't really buy that quote as a good reason for a licence. The R&D BBC do is getting more and more irrelevant. Take ITV in my house hold we watch that channel completely unrelated to any standards and technology developed by the BBC. What little BBC do could easily be covered by others or in better ways. That and BBC is way behind in standards and technology. BBC is one of the worst way to watch TV as the sound and image quietly is so far behind.

Caporegime
I don't really buy that quote as a good reason for a licence. The R&D BBC do is getting more and more irrelevant. Take ITV in my house hold we watch that channel completely unrelated to any standards and technology developed by the BBC. What little BBC do could easily be covered by others or in better ways. That and BBC is way behind in standards and technology. BBC is one of the worst way to watch TV as the sound and image quietly is so far behind.

except for the broadcast standards it uses to reach your house?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/about/standards

Soldato
Who else has got UHD streaming of live TV and on-demand sorted already?

Soldato
I'm more than happy for the BBC to get their income from advertising in the breaks so that I don't have to pay a bill. I think its shocking that still they are able to hold us ransom for us to pay for a TV licence... I mean just the description for what it is is quite shocking to me. I need a licence to watch TV? What a load of bulls nuts.

I already pay for Sky TV and that holds much more value than what I get from BBC. I don't care for their radio or TV shows.

Yes I know that some of what you pay goes towards the tv broadcasting infrastructure in the UK but I use the sky TV satellites!? I personally think it's daylight robbery and find it more and more infuriating to pay as the years pass and it becomes seemingly more and more outdated

Soldato
Who else has got UHD streaming of live TV and on-demand sorted already?
Amazon have great live TV and OnDemand sorted. That's how we watch ITV. Although I do not use the live part I have access to it. Amazon are doing pretty good on some live sports as well. Again I do not use them but they are a great alternative to BBC.

except for the broadcast standards it uses to reach your house?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/about/standards
I cannot read that as BBC is blocked from here. As far as I am BBC has zero to do with how I watch TV channels like ITV and Discovery via Amazon channels.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Amazon have great live TV and OnDemand sorted. That's how we watch ITV. Although I do not use the live part I have access to it.

I cannot read that as BBC is blocked from here. As far as I am BBC has zero to do with how I watch TV channels like ITV and Discovery via Amazon channels.

amazon dont have 4k streaming do they? it certainly doesnt look as good as netflixs 4k if they do

yeah checking on amazon its only sd and hd

BBC R&D - How we Influence International Broadcast Technology Standards

Soldato
Amazon's UHD content is almost 'hidden' and generally will just end up playing instead of the HD stream if your device is UHD capable.

Soldato
Thank you for posting the contents of the link. Most of those have very little to do with BBC and would still be around if BBC didn’t take part. It not like BBC are a major player all that . BBC are just 1 out of well over 100+ companies. Plus I am not even sure I use any of them. How do they relate to Amazon channels and Netflix broadcasts?

Amazon is 4k and HDR, has been for years. Not all content but then again neither is Iplayer. The reason I use Amazon and Netflix is 4k + HDR + Atmos sound. Which is miles ahead of Iplayer, or was last time I used it which was a long time ago. Have they at long last added 4k HDR, Atmos to Iplayer?

Caporegime
Thank you for posting the contents of the link. Most of those have very little to do with BBC and would still be around if BBC didn’t take part. It not like BBC are a major player all that . BBC are just 1 out of well over 100+ companies. Plus I am not even sure I use any of them. How do they relate to Amazon channels and Netflix broadcasts?

Amazon is 4k and HDR, has been for years. Not all content but then again neither is Iplayer. The reason I use Amazon and Netflix is 4k + HDR + Atmos sound. Which is miles ahead of Iplayer, or was last time I used it which was a long time ago. Have they at long last added 4k HDR, Atmos to Iplayer?

i haven't used i player in ages dont have a license. I cant see 4k mentioned anywhere on any amazon video page other than an faq. under qwuality its just "low medium high" catagories are sd or hd.

netflix has hdr and 4k options labeled.

Back
Top Bottom