1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Licence Super Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken, Feb 1, 2015.

1. LeeUK

Mobster

Well aware as I've been licence free for over 10 years. Although there is a new letter in the cycle that comes in a full coloured red envelope. Still easy to spot with it being addressed to "Legal Occupier" and Darlington return address on the back.

2. Pottsey

Mobster

Asking them to stop is often pointless. Try withdrawing there right of access to your home. That way the inspectors are not allowed to walk down the drive and post the letters. That's what I did and it stopped all the letters and problems I was having from the inspectors.

3. Zatoichi.uK

Wise Guy

I just told them online I didn't need one. The misses was stressing about the letters so I folded. Only takes 5 mins.

4. robj20

Soldato

You will have to repeat it every so often though. You will eventually get a letter asking if you still don't need a license.
    I've don't it a couple of times but I'm fed up of doing that now so I'm going to start returning to sender.

5. Zatoichi.uK

Wise Guy

I did it two years ago and didn't get anything for a while. Now it's constant again even though my situation hasn't changed. There should be a "I'll let you know" option but we all know what they're like.

6. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

as you all probably know there are thousands out there without a license that should have one.

free man of the land, tin foil hat brigade, etc.

so therefore a lot of innocents get caught up because of all the ones who dodge it. use some common sense.

if you don't need it then ignore the letter. simple as that. you all know why they are pursuing you. because of all the people who don't pay their fair share. all it takes is a small group of people to ruin it for everyone else.

give someone an inch and they take a mile. then you get penalised as a result because one person decided to push the boundaries, etc.

7. Pottsey

Mobster

Its not always that simple and just because a few people are dodging the licence it isn't an acceptable reasons for them to be as aggressive as they are. They are not pursuing us because people don't pay there fair share, they are pursuing us because they are being overly aggressive to increase profit. A lot of it is them trying to get more money, not catch people who are dodging the licence. It is not the small group of people not paying that is ruining it for us.

8. VincentHanna

Capodecina

The TV license pays for the BBC

The BBC are a public broadcaster, which essentially makes them a non profit organisation.

The money funds their TV/Radio/Streaming output

They aren't doing it "To increase profit"

It's pretty simple.

9. Pottsey

Mobster

That is simply not true. It doesn't all go to fund the BBC. It goes into the pockets of the TV inspectors as the TV inspectors are pushed to get 28 people per week and get payed extra money for every person they sigh up past that number and that bonus money comes out of the TV licence payments. The inspectors are driven as hard as they can to get as much as they can. The inspector mangers are greedy and its all about getting as much money as they can not just catching people who are skipping the licence. Its all about them increasing there monthly bonus.

10. VincentHanna

Capodecina

The BBC outsource that to Capita, and the fee is paid in to a consolidated fund.

11. Pottsey

Mobster

Which doesn't change that the inspectors and inspector managers are doing it for profit and getting profit out of it. Which is why they are so aggressive as its not just to catch people skipping the licence but to force people into a licence for profit.

12. dowie

Caporegime

Are you being deliberately obtuse here - the poster you're replying to is referring to the people who aggressively pursue collection of the license fee, you're seemingly aware they're employed by capita and not directly by the BBC yet your reply then conflates what the poster has said with the BBC being non profit.

Capita is a public listed company and its employees are incentives via bonuses, of course they're doing it for profit!