TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
I pay for it. Costs basically nothing in comparison to Sky. And is slightly more than a single streamer like Netflix.

Their content is some of (if not) the world's best. I'm proud to have such a world leading broadcaster come from our country, and I watch loads of what they produce. If they want a measly few quid then why not.

I think they could do with being managed a bit better...but that's the same as all large corporations.

Soldato
Hi all. I have a TV in my living room but never watch really BBC or ITV of other channels.. the antenna is disconnted from my TV downstairs and I have a smart TV but use it for the odd Netflix . I have told them I do not watch live TV or catch-up. And I moved in to the property in Jun 2018 but because of doing up the house not really watched anything other than Netflix.

Iv.declared that I do not need a TV licence.but they are now saying they are scheduled to send someone.round..

Is there anything I can do? If they do what do they check?

Guys just doing his job? Why not let him in and offer them a cuppa tea whilst he is doing their check?

He/she isn't a hardened criminal, just a person making a living. Admittedly there are more interesting jobs.

Soldato
I pay for it. Costs basically nothing in comparison to Sky. And is slightly more than a single streamer like Netflix.

Their content is some of (if not) the world's best. I'm proud to have such a world leading broadcaster come from our country, and I watch loads of what they produce. If they want a measly few quid then why not.

I think they could do with being managed a bit better...but that's the same as all large corporations.

The BBC forcing the rest us to pay is diabolical. I don’t watch it so why should I pay? I don’t and never have.

Soldato
The BBC forcing the rest us to pay is diabolical. I don’t watch it so why should I pay? I don’t and never have.

I didn't say you did. Nor that you should. But you are missing out on great content, unless you buy is via other routes of course.

I don't think their forcing you either? They send crappy letters, badly worded ones at that.

If they come round, let them in for a cuppa to do their check.

Soldato
The endless letters. I dont and have never been in contact with them to say I don’t watch it, why should I. Then they come sniffing about noising people up. I absolutely loathe them.
It's a letter where you declare that you don't use the service, possibly one visit and then a reconfirmation every two years. While inconvenient it is not a great hardship.

Soldato

BBC isn’t slightly more expensive it’s double the price of a single Streamer like Prime or Netflix. If that wasn’t bad enough it’s hardly world class anymore. BBC now spends less on new content and produce less content then the streamers and the steamers show production quality and broadcast quality has shot well past BBC. You don't really get good value for money with the BBC anymore although we did back in the past.

Soldato
It's a letter where you declare that you don't use the service, possibly one visit and then a reconfirmation every two years. While inconvenient it is not a great hardship.
Possibly one visit? Only if you get lucky. It can also possibly be far worse and it can get very inconvenient. Best to not respond to them and ignore the letters.

Soldato
BBC isn’t slightly more expensive it’s double the price of a single Streamer like Prime or Netflix. If that wasn’t bad enough it’s hardly world class anymore. BBC now spends less on new content and produce less content then the streamers and the steamers show production quality and broadcast quality has shot well past BBC.

It's closer to the premium plan 9.99x12 = 119.88 Vs £154 for Netflix.

There is serious amount of good stuff on Netflix. No denying that. But there is also a serious load of crap.

Most stuff on the BBC is pretty fine. Plus they invest heavily in the newest technology for live broadcasting. Watching the sports and planet earth over the last 12months in uhd hgl was great.

Watching 4k on Netflix is like watching a Blu-ray..not like watching 4k.

The new (to UK) streamer for the BBC and ITV is the start of the new future vision for the UK broadcasters, it will all be on-demand via one app soon enough (10 years).

I'm about to enjoy the new Alan Partridge show. Brilliant.

Soldato
It's closer to the premium plan 9.99x12 = 119.88 Vs £154 for Netflix.

There is serious amount of good stuff on Netflix. No denying that. But there is also a serious load of crap.

Most stuff on the BBC is pretty fine. Plus they invest heavily in the newest technology for live broadcasting. Watching the sports and planet earth over the last 12months in uhd hgl was great.

Watching 4k on Netflix is like watching a Blu-ray..not like watching 4k.

The new (to UK) streamer for the BBC and ITV is the start of the new future vision for the UK broadcasters, it will all be on-demand via one app soon enough (10 years).

I'm about to enjoy the new Alan Partridge show. Brilliant.
True there is a lot of rubbish but there is on BBC as well. The amount of good stuff on streamers is way higher and of better production quality then what we get on BBC. Sure there are a few good things on BBC but the amount of good content produced each year is tiny compared to the new good content on the Streamers and for less of a monthly cost as well.

Planet Earth 2 was 2 years ago and at the time the worst way to watch it was on BBC which is kind of my point the BBC are often lagging behind. Just how much content do BBC even produce and broadcast in 4k, HDR with high end sound like Atoms? Even without the sound what does BBC produce apart from Planet Earth form 2 years go?

Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t BBC have a tiny catalog of high quality 4k HDR content? While Prime or Netflix have tons of high quality good shows to watch in 4k, HDR and with the bonus at times Atmos sound as well. Again correct me if I am wrong but isn’t Atmos sound on the streamers well beyond the sound on BBC?

On a good connection 4k on Netflix is not like a blue ray and it’s not just the image quality. It’s about the shows production quality and sound quality. On Fridays I settle down to watch the new Star Trek and Grand Tour both of which are in 4k, HDR, great sound way beyond the average new weekly content the BBC produce. There is just more and higher quality content on the streamers then what BBC make.

Soldato
True there is a lot of rubbish but there is on BBC as well. The amount of good stuff on streamers is way higher and of better production quality then what we get on BBC. Sure there are a few good things on BBC but the amount of good content produced each year is tiny compared to the new good content on the Streamers and for less of a monthly cost as well.

Planet Earth 2 was 2 years ago and at the time the worst way to watch it was on BBC which is kind of my point the BBC are often lagging behind. Just how much content do BBC even produce and broadcast in 4k, HDR with high end sound like Atoms? Even without the sound what does BBC produce apart from Planet Earth form 2 years go?

Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t BBC have a tiny catalog of high quality 4k HDR content? While Prime or Netflix have tons of high quality good shows to watch in 4k, HDR and with the bonus at times Atmos sound as well. Again correct me if I am wrong but isn’t Atmos sound on the streamers well beyond the sound on BBC?

On a good connection 4k on Netflix is not like a blue ray and it’s not just the image quality. It’s about the shows production quality and sound quality. On Fridays I settle down to watch the new Star Trek and Grand Tour both of which are in 4k, HDR, great sound way beyond the average new weekly content the BBC produce. There is just more and higher quality content on the streamers then what BBC make.
I don't disagree.

Back
Top Bottom