TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Yes for many it is. I had an issue with my DD been cancelled. Hadn’t realised. A letter came through. I sorted it out. Job done.

So many people just love a bit drama in their lives and “sticking it to the man”. Lol
There is a difference between sending a reminder letter, and sending a threatening letter every single month. You would have thought after the the tenth letter that they would get the picture and save their money, but they don't and that's their fault.

Is that classed as junk mail?
;)

Junk mail for me would be takeaway menus, events and services e.t.c
It's unsolicited and not even addressed to a persons name, it's junk.

Soldato
I guess most of you ain't following the instructions on the letter correctly then. :D
No more so than many do with Dominoes pizza. If don't need a pizza, then there is no need to go to their website. Likewise, if you don't need a TV licence, there is no need to go to their website. Both pieces of mail can go to the recycling bin.

Permabanned
No more so than many do with Dominoes pizza. If don't need a pizza, then there is no need to go to their website. Likewise, if you don't need a TV licence, there is no need to go to their website. Both pieces of mail can go to the recycling bin.

:D Then what is the point in this thread then? 267 pages of the same stuff. Starting from - Page 1. :cry: Maybe it should be locked with a last post by a mod saying - Letters are just rubbish, bin them.. :)

Soldato
It's like groundhog day/butterfly effect ... they'll eventually figure out what to do to avoid receiving letters , and gain redemption.;

meanwhile the cult of netflix and americanisation of media content, loss of sovereign/cultural power increases ...Boris should have packaged this in brexit.

Caporegime
It's like groundhog day/butterfly effect ... they'll eventually figure out what to do to avoid receiving letters , and gain redemption.;
They stopped sending them to me after about 6-7 years of no response :)
still waiting to be taken to court like they threatened

Man of Honour
Yes for many it is. I had an issue with my DD been cancelled. Hadn’t realised. A letter came through. I sorted it out. Job done.

So many people just love a bit drama in their lives and “sticking it to the man”. Lol
When I cancel a streaming service such as Now TV all I get is a "sorry to see you go" message and maybe an email, possibly even with a discount code to sign back up again. When people are cancelling BBC subscriptions they are getting threats of investigations, legal action, criminal records and fines. The programming must be pretty dire if that's the only way to keep their customer base.

I still have a BBC license because my daughter and wife very occasionally watch something (maybe once or twice a month). But I really can't remember the last time I watched a live BBC programme or iPlayer. It has been years. The only BBC content I've watched recently has been on Britbox and that's not even included in the license fee.

Permabanned
When people are cancelling BBC subscriptions they are getting threats of investigations, legal action, criminal records and fines.

Because it's law. Until this changes people will continue to be harrased, monitored and fined.

"Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they're being shown on television without a TV Licence. Section 365 of that Act requires that a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC."

Associate
It is NOT law to have to tell them you do not need one. It is NOT law for me to prove to them I do not need one. They try to use bully boy tactics on the vulnerable to get a bonus on their sales commission. As others have said you do not get Dyson salesmen wanting you to prove you do not use a Dyson. If you watch/record live TV or use the iPlayer then pay. I don't and will not be paying or entertaining those clowns when they decide to eventually come knocking.

Permabanned
It is NOT law to have to tell them you do not need one. It is NOT law for me to prove to them I do not need one. They try to use bully boy tactics on the vulnerable to get a bonus on their sales commission. As others have said you do not get Dyson salesmen wanting you to prove you do not use a Dyson. If you watch/record live TV or use the iPlayer then pay. I don't and will not be paying or entertaining those clowns when they decide to eventually come knocking.

But I gaurentee if they didn't do what they are doing then do you really think people would pay? I highly doubt it. Like I said I bet there's people on here who's posted in this thread that's ignored letters and door knocks that they actually do need a licence. Gaurenteed.

As others have said you do not get Dyson salesmen wanting you to prove you do not use a Dyson.
That's because it's not under law to use a Dyson lol.

Permabanned
If you only need a license if you watch live BBC or stream off the iplayer? With Fire sticks and Roku devices just delete the BBC off them. Their content is woke garbage anyway and their news service is government propaganda and is not unbiased in any way shape or form. Just like the high street, terrestrial TV is dead. The internet killed them all.

Man of Honour
Because it's law. Until this changes people will continue to be harrased, monitored and fined.

"Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they're being shown on television without a TV Licence. Section 365 of that Act requires that a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC."
At no point did I mention illegally watching TV without a license. If someone no longer needs one they simply have to cancel their payment. Yet they get threatening letters to scare them into buying the service again.

It is law to buy a license if you watch live TV. It is NOT law to buy a license if you do not need one. It is also NOT law to tell the government you don't need one.

Do you honestly think that someone who needs a license and avoids paying for one is going to be put off by a silly form they need to fill in? They will just fill in the form to say they don't need a license and will be left in peace to watch their illegal TV. But if a law abiding person doesn't fill out an optional form (which they are under no legal obligation to do so) then they get threatening letters. It's not acceptable and has probably pushed some people into buying a license when they don't need one.

Last edited:
Soldato
But I gaurentee if they didn't do what they are doing then do you really think people would pay? I highly doubt it. Like I said I bet there's people on here who's posted in this thread that's ignored letters and door knocks that they actually do need a licence. Gaurenteed.

That's because it's not under law to use a Dyson lol.
On the other side why should those that are doing nothing wrong, who follow the rules have to put up with consent harassment? I bet there are more people here who are correctly unlicensed and have problems with them then those that they actually do need a licence but choose to skip it.

Its a law have a licence to drive but you don't get car inspectors popping around your house and sending threating letters every week just to check you have a licence. Why do you accept that for a TV?

Soldato

Lol letters will be automated. Most you idiots are the reason so much money is wasted.
Your wrong here. There are so many posts that prove otherwise. Is not about sticking it to the man or idiots who cannot respond correctly to a letter. Clearly you failed at reading the thread while calling other peoples idiots.

Permabanned
Its a law have a licence to drive but you don't get car inspectors popping around your house and sending threating letters every week just to check you have a licence. Why do you accept that for a TV?

This is a very good point, yet the gov still does nothing about it. :)

Are the gov even aware that the BBC is doing this to people? Do they even care? Probably not.

Soldato
On the other side why should those that are doing nothing wrong, who follow the rules have to put up with consent harassment? I bet there are more people here who are correctly unlicensed and have problems with them then those that they actually do need a licence but choose to skip it.

You don’t have to accept it for the TV there is a simple process to follow in all those letters you receive to get them stopped. Follow the process letters end then the obvious anger and stress this causes you can all fade away while you spend your time on something else.

Permabanned
You don’t have to accept it for the TV there is a simple process to follow in all those letters you receive to get them stopped. Follow the process letters end then the obvious anger and stress this causes you can all fade away while you spend your time on something else.

It takes 30 seconds of ones life to fill in the online form. Got to laugh.

Back
Top Bottom