Twisty puzzles.

Soldato
Any modern speedcube from one of the big names will be great. A very popular budget cube is the MF3RS2 (and it's predecessor, the MF3RS) by Mofang Jiaoshi (a sub-brand of MoYu). Don't be put off by the relatively low price - they are very good cubes. I'd avoid the Rubik's branded cubes because they don't turn as smoothly and are more prone to catching, unfortunately.

Good luck with the recovery.

Thanks mate, after looking at all the different options I went with a stickerless MoYu one for £8.95, as I liked the unique look of it.

I doubt I will be able to complete it, I never could as a kid. But it will definitely help with my hand/wrist. I had been using a sponge ball to get the strength back, now I need to work on twisting and turning.

Hand/wrist recovery is going well. The operation was for a fistula for kidney dialysis, and that's gonna go on for at around 24 months.

Soldato
I got a standard 3x3 rubiks cube, from Maplin I think. Could “solve” it by remembering the Ri L D U B etc sequence in the instructions....no chance just trying to figure it by myself tho

Soldato
OP
Thanks mate, after looking at all the different options I went with a stickerless MoYu one for £8.95, as I liked the unique look of it.

I doubt I will be able to complete it, I never could as a kid. But it will definitely help with my hand/wrist. I had been using a sponge ball to get the strength back, now I need to work on twisting and turning.

Hand/wrist recovery is going well. The operation was for a fistula for kidney dialysis, and that's gonna go on for at around 24 months.

Great stuff. You can't go wrong with MoYu and it's bound to help with improving the dexterity in your hand. Enjoy!

Anyone looking to learn how to solve a 3x3 should look up the "beginner method". Don't be put off by the name - everyone has to start somewhere. Once you have that down, it's relatively easy to transition over to the CFOP method in stages, because the two methods are compatible with each other (but CFOP is more efficient, obviously).

Edit: I've been slacking recently so progress has slowed but I've beaten the goal I set myself of a sub-30 second PB with a time of 28 seconds. I'm still not using most of the CFOP algs (OLL & PLL) either and my look-ahead needs a lot of work so there's plenty of room for improvement if I put the time in.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a collection. I started around 2008/9 when someone bought me one for xmas. I had one as a kid in the '80s, but it never really clicked that there's only one place for one piece. I'm not the fastest solver. Takes me anywhere from 40 seconds to a minute. Using intuitive F2L, multiple step OLL because I can't be bothered to learn more, and about 5 or 6 PLL algos for the same reason.

When I started collecting, I bought anything an everything I could get my hands on. I bought 2x sets of V-Cubes (black and white) which then were only 5x5x5 6x6x6 and 7x7x7, a bunch of 3x3x3s, 4x4x4 etc. I bought everything Meffert's brought out which were usually limited additions (Golden Cube, Golden Egg, Pyraminx Crystal etc), and most puzzles that had never been out in mass produced form before, like a gigaminx and teraminx.

These days I'll buy one or maybe two puzzles a year. They have to be something either new and exciting, or a mass produced version of something that I've always wanted.
Last year I bought a 9x9x9 and Tony Fisher's Container, both of which are great quality and the container fiendishly challenging if you don't know the trick of making sure the pieces are in the right place even when they appear correct.

My favourite puzzle is probably the Mefferts Golden Cube by Tony Fisher. I have two of them. The silver, and black with gold stickers
Most pointless has to be the Mefferts polymorhpix. I really don't know why I bought it. Even when it's solved it looks scrambled.

Man of Honour
I thought this was going to be about those infuriating metal puzzles where you have to take each piece apart, which always seem to arrive at Christmas. I refuse to do them now... so annoying!!!

I have no idea how anyone solves a Rubics cube without looking up the method.

Soldato
OP
I have a collection. I started around 2008/9 when someone bought me one for xmas. I had one as a kid in the '80s, but it never really clicked that there's only one place for one piece. I'm not the fastest solver. Takes me anywhere from 40 seconds to a minute. Using intuitive F2L, multiple step OLL because I can't be bothered to learn more, and about 5 or 6 PLL algos for the same reason.

When I started collecting, I bought anything an everything I could get my hands on. I bought 2x sets of V-Cubes (black and white) which then were only 5x5x5 6x6x6 and 7x7x7, a bunch of 3x3x3s, 4x4x4 etc. I bought everything Meffert's brought out which were usually limited additions (Golden Cube, Golden Egg, Pyraminx Crystal etc), and most puzzles that had never been out in mass produced form before, like a gigaminx and teraminx.

These days I'll buy one or maybe two puzzles a year. They have to be something either new and exciting, or a mass produced version of something that I've always wanted.
Last year I bought a 9x9x9 and Tony Fisher's Container, both of which are great quality and the container fiendishly challenging if you don't know the trick of making sure the pieces are in the right place even when they appear correct.

My favourite puzzle is probably the Mefferts Golden Cube by Tony Fisher. I have two of them. The silver, and black with gold stickers
Most pointless has to be the Mefferts polymorhpix. I really don't know why I bought it. Even when it's solved it looks scrambled.

That's quite a collection! I'll have to look some of those up.

I thought this was going to be about those infuriating metal puzzles where you have to take each piece apart, which always seem to arrive at Christmas. I refuse to do them now... so annoying!!!

Do you mean disentanglement puzzles? They can be very tricky but I really enjoy them. I have a small collection of about six from Hanayama's Cast series.

Soldato
OP
@Yadda yes, those. They are effectively ‘bash the pieces of metal around until they fall apart’ - not very satisfying.... or rather very frustrating :p

:D

I know what you mean. The trick is to resist that urge and figure them out instead. One of the most satisfying puzzle moments I've had was when I finally separated the Cast Chain. Believe me, I'd tried everything, and now know that thing inside out.

Caporegime
Believe me, I'd tried everything, and now know that thing inside out.

This is the tagline for a film I would watch.

But no, super cereal, I think I remember taking the cube pieces off whatever the internals were (I want to say spindles? Were they spindles?) and literally moving them around and putting them back together, like a brain hampered chimpanzee on a meth down.

Life was pretty tough for a Primary Seven, thinking back.

Soldato
OP

But no, super cereal, I think I remember taking the cube pieces off whatever the internals were (I want to say spindles? Were they spindles?) and literally moving them around and putting them back together, like a brain hampered chimpanzee on a meth down.

:D

The middle bit is called the core, Mags.

Soldato

If all these movies were ever made you would be very busy. :D

I also remember taking one apart to complete. After that there was no incentive to learn how to do it properly.

It's arrived! Got a few things to do then I can open the package and take a look.

Soldato
OP
If all these movies were ever made you would be very busy. :D

I also remember taking one apart to complete. After that there was no incentive to learn how to do it properly.

It's arrived! Got a few things to do then I can open the package and take a look.

Marvellous. You'll notice a big difference from the original cube, I'm sure. Let us know how you get on.

Soldato
OP
Great stuff. Don't be too intimidated by it, the beginner method isn't too bad if you break it down in stages.

Step 1: the cross (look it up).

Have fun!

Edit:
Here's a decent cross tutorial. He takes it a bit further by explaining efficiency. Don't worry too much about that yet but being aware of it won't do any harm.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks I will give that a go.

No problem. Here's a full beginner method tutorial by The Cubicle (probably the biggest US cube store). It's very clear and breaks the cross down into two stages so is easier though slower than the above method. The result is the same though so go with whichever method you find easiest.

Soldato
Without help I can get to white cross with corners. That's the white side complete with the correct middle pieces underneath. And now i'm working on second layer. I looked on ruwix.com but i'm trying to solve it without a turn by turn guide. Just the finished pictures of the steps.

Back
Top Bottom