Two memorable work life lessons?

You also have to consider why someone did a bad job. Was the work properly scoped, did they get support when requested, did peers see they were struggling and try and lend a hand, did requirements constantly change, was the project ever feasible, was the problem simply to complex for the level of the employee,?
The individuals are at the same grade, were given the same scope and support. Nothing changed, the project was feasible as the other completed it to a high standard.

As above, both are at the same grade and also competing for the same management position.

Bottom line is both have the same experience and background, only one decided to give max effort.

Fund the laziest person you can and they'll find the easiest way to get a job done

One thing I have learnt to do is watch what lazy people are doing, they generally are a net negative but sometimes they will show where the done way of doing something is at its roots just a formality standing in the way of efficiency, or an outdated process no one has re-looked at, etc.

Last edited:
Don't assume, check.
Trust nothing you're told.

Yeah this is a great one.

Also, it makes me laugh when companies try to cut cost by hiring cheaper employees and filtering out the ones who want more money: If you think hiring high quality people is expensive - wait until you hire a bunch of idiots!

Personally I don't agree with this. Firstly, you can never completely trust anyone. Secondly, there is no such thing as confidentiality as you never know what they are saying when you're not there. Thirdly, moaning is a bad habit to get into, even moaning to yourself. Moaning is just a waste of breath and brain processing time, it will get you nowhere. It is best to focus on the next little thing you can do to make progress, rather than do any moaning.

If you have to moan, then don't do it to anyone at work, better to find a tree, garden wall, cat or dog to moan to. It will achieve as much, but no one will ever know you are moaning! Also, any form of moaning is perceived by others as a weakness.

Just my view. :cool:
Isn't disagreement a type of moaning? What are you doing to me in this post? :rolleyes: Did you read this to your cat before posting?

Stayed at my last role for 9 years, promoted within. At my current role 6 years, promoted within. Both roles in same organisation and been there 30 years.

Christ that's grim :(

Was in one job for 10 years. Looked elsewhere and doubled my annual salary over 6 years. Beating any promotion I would have gotten if I stayed in the same company.

Most people don't even try testing the market. They stay comfortable in their current job and complain about not getting pay raises.

Last edited:
Ask why you things are done a certain way and you'll likely find that some ancient process is slowing things down at all levels.

Sometimes you're waiting on something and they think you need more detail than you really do.

I guess im the lazy one who needs to change process to get out of doing jobs I hate.

1. Roles/Jobs
* 1 year - you know little and at the end of the year you're only likely to start being useful
* <1.5 years - you have finished delivering, no need for your role and they can fire you under the short term employment because you'd done what you need or some other random reason (sold the company etc) plus you have no rights..
* 2 years - you come on song and start start bringing back some ROI but only just
* 3 years - you're maximum ROI, but paradoxically your skills are starting to get stale but covered by efficiency/effectiveness.
* 5 years - you've peaked at ROI, bored and have delusions that the organisations value you
* 12 years - you're stale, out of new ideas. you're part of the woodwork, can command through personal relationships, bored and organisation wonders why the hell are you still here? You will get all the burning hot potatoes to bring around which is simple but you're never rewarded for that level of expertise.
* 20-40+ years - you're worthless, the company has lost your personnel file, in fact you're probably the HR director's daughter's god parents, you exist purely by "it's the way we do it" and personal relationships. You're afraid to move and highlightly likely to be booted if they could but you're going to cost them too much in redundancy.. You and comrades seem to have a hate of the fresh blood and you seem to think you can express looking down your noses safe in the arrogance of self belief as you've designated yourself as irreplaceable, having been there as your first job.. the reality is you're inflexible, dulled and closed.

Personally I think 3 years is the maximum anyone should perform a role. Based on experience, nobody promotes or renumerates through internal promotions. External new roles mean new ideas, new challenges to maintain your expertise, gives you chance to adapt to not become obsolete.

2. People steal your ideas/effort and pass them off as their own. My name still reverberates around a large bank - I got a call from the group's quantum lab director "because he'd been told he should talk to me" after 4-5 years later.. that quantum boom in the bank was my idea/initiative, my founding of the hackathon team and PR around it, my programme of work to build for 6 months and my strategic recommendations to the group board.. all side of desk yet.. I was made redundant due to my day Job.. then a director then gets promoted to innovation director.. several years pass he did an MBA and left to found a quantum computing company.
So learn to manage up, learn to build executive/senior relationships in a way that benefits you - if it's not going to benefit you.. then walk, take that idea elsewhere or go it alone.

Last edited:
  • It's not what you know, it's who you know
  • Control the controllables
I don't stress or worry about things I can't control - the "what if's" etc
My wife on the other hand is a nightmare - Always worrying about what if, what happens tomorrow, what could go wrong etc....

Another one I'm currently stuck in;

If you ever get offered a role that involves going into a company, to fix a huge gigantic mess: It was probably a culture problem in the first place, it won't ever be solved and you'll be dragged down to the same rubbish level that got them there in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom