Uber to lose licence to operate in London

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I reckon uber will win on appeal will have new rules imposed on them that will fundamentally change thier business model in London.

Caporegime
No-one is saying that there’s zero risk with black cabs. The risks are just much, much higher with Uber.

Uber is even fighting TfL over introducing English tests for drivers.
In 1995, my mum was raped and beaten up by a black cab driver after a night out with friends, so it certainly does happen. The **** was never caught. My mum wasn't right for a long time and needed a lot of counselling.

Caporegime
Dopes anyone have the stats re: assaults etc.. by drivers of black cabs, different private hire firms etc..etc..? (Is this data available?)

People are claiming that uber is bad for this but how do you know that?

Commissario
Dopes anyone have the stats re: assaults etc.. by drivers of black cabs, different private hire firms etc..etc..? (Is this data available?)

People are claiming that uber is bad for this but how do you know that?
I don't have the stat's to hand but IIRC a basic condition of most operators licences (in the UK, US and most of Europe) tends to include the notification of the police and licencing authorities of any allegation against a driver.
Uber have been shown to disregard that repeatedly in pretty much every country they've operated in, they've also been shown to deliberately attempt to avoid things like random checks of it's service by licencing authorities (the "greyball" software), and for a long time were extremely lax in checking their drivers were suitably insured (another basic part of operating such a service).
I think there are also issues with Uber not vetting it's drivers properly, again as required.

Caporegime
Yup, or when there is a football match on, or pretty much anything else that disrupts the normal mass transport system.

Ah yes, "surge pricing", I remember that. I can understand charging a bit more if the cabs are stuck in traffic costing the driver money but the blatant fleecing of customers is unacceptable.

Ragardless, Uber is a scummy company run by scummy people (check out some of the articles on Jalopnik) and I can't find a violin smaller than this.

Caporegime
well the points re: criminal record checks etc.. raised by TFL ostensibly are both worrying and valid things for them to raise - I suspect though that uber will now make some appropriate changes and meet the requirements - I'm still pretty curious about how unsafe uber drivers are relative to black cab drivers and other firms etc..

Caporegime
If they make the changes and fall in line with other operators then I can't see why there'd be a problem. I'm not sure why they were so reluctant to do so, other than an experiment to see if they could get the licensing authority to back down over it for some reason.

Soldato
The price surge is down to demand. When there is limited availability and more demand the price goes up.
You are not forced to use the service so if you don't like the price just look elsewhere. If they lose the licence you won't even get the option.

Soldato
Ah yes, "surge pricing", I remember that. I can understand charging a bit more if the cabs are stuck in traffic costing the driver money but the blatant fleecing of customers is unacceptable.

Not really fleecing though is it? You're told what the price might be before you order one. It's up to you if you're happy with it or not. Either wait 10min to see if price changes or call someone else, not a rocket science is it? If anything I find them more transparent when it comes to charging than any other company. With black cab/ traditional taxi you hardly ever get proper estimate when you get in the cab.

Associate
Not really fleecing though is it? You're told what the price might be before you order one. It's up to you if you're happy with it or not. Either wait 10min to see if price changes or call someone else, not a rocket science is it? If anything I find them more transparent when it comes to charging than any other company. With black cab/ traditional taxi you hardly ever get proper estimate when you get in the cab.
its not the same, mini cabs have set fares as do black cabs, uber seem to do what ever they want, but yes people have a choice but this isnt why they are having their licence revoked, its because of how they operate as an operator.

Permabanned

That's true. Though I'd imagine with the way they're going (and assuming they appeal this), Uber will continue to bolster it's position and soon be THE taxi service in any big city area. Then there'll be no competition and they can do what they like regardless.

Of course, It's up to the TFL and other PC's to adjust there pricing and accessibility models to stay relevant as much as anything.

Commissario
If they make the changes and fall in line with other operators then I can't see why there'd be a problem. I'm not sure why they were so reluctant to do so, other than an experiment to see if they could get the licensing authority to back down over it for some reason.
IIRC it was basically the cost and the fact it would cramp their ability to let virtually anyone work for them.

They've done the same thing in virtually every market that requires the drivers of private hire type vehicles to be checked.

Back
Top Bottom