UBi pull Christmas launch games from Steam in UK..

Soldato
No idea why they have done this other than Steam refusing the £49.99 pricing. It's way to much for a PC game and UBi are taking the biscuit tbh..

Ubisoft’s upcoming AAA titles Assassin’s Creed Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew won’t be available on Steam in the UK when they launch over the next few weeks. The reasoning for this isn’t exactly clear, with Ubisoft simply stating that gamers in the UK will be able to buy the titles from shops and other online digital retailers.

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/jon-martindale/ubisoft-pulls-christmas-launch-games-from-steam-uk/

Associate
Shame, I wanted FC4.
But, not on Steam = No sale, for me.
I know it just fires it up in UPlay but I like all my games in once place... Steam!

Soldato
I won't buy a Ubisoft game due to that uPlay rubbish.

Think this will hurt the sales? I do

I doubt it. People talk big, but the amount of people actually willing to stick to their convictions when the game is released and people are enjoying it will shrink rapidly.

Soldato
I doubt it. People talk big, but the amount of people actually willing to stick to their convictions when the game is released and people are enjoying it will shrink rapidly.

They're losing a lot of exposure by not having the game featured on the homepage of a massive games retailer though, and that does count for a lot even in just one market.

Anyway, it not being on Steam is really rather inconsequential compared to the pricing that Ubisoft seem to be trying to impose. £40-50 for a PC game is silly.

Caporegime
The downfall of Steam as THE go to place? EA's stopped launching their stuff (However, I can live with Origin, and I don't mind getting games on it). But I simply don't want to start having to use a Uplay account too, I don't want any games solely tied there, I'll buy the game on disc however if I have to! But that's frustrating.

Soldato
They're losing a lot of exposure by not having the game featured on the homepage of a massive games retailer though, and that does count for a lot even in just one market.

Anyway, it not being on Steam is really rather inconsequential compared to the pricing that Ubisoft seem to be trying to impose. £40-50 for a PC game is silly.

That's a reasonable point, it's hard to imagine people impulse buy AAA games without knowing they exist prior to seeing the advert, but then our perception on OCUK is rather warped anyway.

Associate
Other than Stick of Truth it's been years since I've ever bought/played an Ubisoft game. The complete lack of respect they show for PC Gamers, branding us pirates, always on DRM, forcing Uplay down our throats and now trying to price PC games at £50?
At that price I would be expecting some sort of physical bonus.

Soldato
When FC3 came out, people were getting sub 500kbs downloading it and I remember a load of people getting another version of the game then using their key with it just so it didn't take forever to download. I hate uplay and I will not buy the game on that platform.

Soldato
Can I play the game offline? Can I sell on after I have played it? No?

Then I won't be paying top dollar for it, or buying it at all for that matter.

I don't buy Ubi games. Last one I bought was Far Cry 3 and only then because was silly cheap in the Steam sale. Only played for about an hour. It got uninstalled to free up room for a good game.

Charging £50 for a game on any platform is just greedy. Just like it used to be greedy for music stores to charge £12.99 for an album that cost 50P to make and only a couple of quid to distribute, or £4 for a single.

It is a shame game developers are insisting with this price structure. I personally do not pay above £30 for any game, not unless it is great. Generally I wait for a sale or for a year or so after release. I think many other PC gamers are the same.

It shows where Ubi's loyalties lie. The PC market has been instrumental to it's success, but of course they can make more money to pay for all those recently opened offices by exploiting the console market, and of course hiking up the cost of the PC version.

Caporegime
All I can say is thank god games haven't gone all digital or you'd have no choice but to pay £50 at this point, all three of those titles are £40 disc based thanks to the market forces that publishers want to eradicate.

Soldato
Other than Stick of Truth it's been years since I've ever bought/played an Ubisoft game. The complete lack of respect they show for PC Gamers, branding us pirates, always on DRM, forcing Uplay down our throats and now trying to price PC games at £50?
At that price I would be expecting some sort of physical bonus.

This is Ubi, just asking for the game to work well at launch is enough of a challenge for them.

Associate
Could you see Valve allowing Half Life 3 (should it ever appear) to be sold on Uplay or Origin? I like Steam the best but I really don't have an issue using Uplay or Origin. Strange as it may seem, I don't think about the fact that I've had to use Uplay to play AC Black Flag, I just enjoy playing the game. Last point, if Steam was the only medium we'd all be complaining about their monopoly.

Back
Top Bottom