Ubuntu 10.04

Associate
couldn't install s'load of this in syslog, unusable.
Code:
[  776.594450] ata7.00: status: { DRDY }
[  776.594454] ata7: hard resetting link
[  777.123108] ata7: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
[  777.125321] ata7.00: configured for UDMA/33
[  777.125328] ata7: EH complete
[  777.151827] ata7.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x1 SErr 0x280100 action 0x6 frozen
[  777.151830] ata7.00: irq_stat 0x08000000, interface fatal error
[  777.151833] ata7: SError: { UnrecovData 10B8B BadCRC }
[  777.151836] ata7.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
[  777.151841] ata7.00: cmd 60/08:00:bf:28:54/00:00:02:00:00/40 tag 0 ncq 4096 in
[  777.151842]          res 40/00:00:bf:28:54/00:00:02:00:00/40 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error)
[  777.151844] ata7.00: status: { DRDY }
[  777.151847] ata7: hard resetting link
[  777.682849] ata7: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
[  777.685059] ata7.00: configured for UDMA/33
[  777.685065] ata7: EH complete
[  777.798069] ata7.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x1 SErr 0x280100 action 0x6 frozen
[  777.798072] ata7.00: irq_stat 0x08000000, interface fatal error
[  777.798075] ata7: SError: { UnrecovData 10B8B BadCRC }
[  777.798078] ata7.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
[  777.798083] ata7.00: cmd 60/08:00:39:4b:38/00:00:3a:00:00/40 tag 0 ncq 4096 in
[  777.798084]          res 40/00:00:39:4b:38/00:00:3a:00:00/40 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error)
[  777.798086] ata7.00: status: { DRDY }
[  777.798089] ata7: hard resetting link
[  778.322554] ata7: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
[  778.324640] ata7.00: configured for UDMA/33
[  778.324648] ata7: EH complete

Associate
Hi

I ran Beta 1 under virtual box, on my 9.10 machine, and it ran fine.
I then made a bootable memory stick with 10.4 Beta 1 on it and it runs very well. It found every single driver automatically and connected to the network all by itself, I didn't have to do anything. Also boot times and performance are very impressive.

Can't wait until the full release on the 29th.

Andy

Permabanned
Been running it on a test box since the first BETA. It's horrid looking. The first thing I did was change the entire theme and mess around in gconf-editor to put icons back in menus and on buttons, and move the window buttons back to the right side. Stupid OSX rip off.

I've used Ubuntu since 6.06, but think when 10.04 finally lands, I'll be moving over to Kubuntu now that KDE4 seems much more stable. Ubuntu seems to be at a point where it doesn't know what it is... Linux, or OSX. I've been testing the 10.04 Kubuntu BETA as well and it's lovely to use and work on. But pretty sluggish on my Atom box compared to Ubuntu.

Soldato
im running it on my laptop at home. its great, nice and quick. everything is working out of the box (other than mp3, but restricted extras fixed that)

only problem im having is when scrolling with firefox, its rather laggy for some reason. im surei tll get fixed in an update though.

also, the initial boot screen when you first boot up doesnt show.

Associate
Been running it on a test box since the first BETA. It's horrid looking. The first thing I did was change the entire theme and mess around in gconf-editor to put icons back in menus and on buttons, and move the window buttons back to the right side. Stupid OSX rip off.

I've used Ubuntu since 6.06, but think when 10.04 finally lands, I'll be moving over to Kubuntu now that KDE4 seems much more stable. Ubuntu seems to be at a point where it doesn't know what it is... Linux, or OSX. I've been testing the 10.04 Kubuntu BETA as well and it's lovely to use and work on. But pretty sluggish on my Atom box compared to Ubuntu.

I'll tell you what. When I first booted off the live CD it was the first time I didn't think GNOME looked totally **** with throwbacks to Windows 95. To compete Ubuntu needs to look good, actually be functional and easy (enough) to use and distinguish itself from being another "Linux". This it appears to be doing.

Associate
only problem im having is when scrolling with firefox, its rather laggy for some reason. im surei tll get fixed in an update though.

On laptop here too, I was getting laggy scrolling in firefox until I turned off desktop effects - that's on an Radeon x300 card in a Toshiba Tecra A4

Permabanned
I'll tell you what. When I first booted off the live CD it was the first time I didn't think GNOME looked totally **** with throwbacks to Windows 95. To compete Ubuntu needs to look good, actually be functional and easy (enough) to use and distinguish itself from being another "Linux". This it appears to be doing.

By ripping off OSX. They really need to settle on a theme and icon set that sets the distro apart from everything else, so that people who look at it KNOW it's Ubuntu... and have it cover everything so the whole GUI feels solid and uniform. There has been a complete lack of consistency in Ubuntu in regards to it theme since 8.04, with Gnome changing the login screen (which looks hideous now) and the various bootsplashes and metacity/GTK themes. That said, the new boot splashes are lovely, both on Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

Another thing with Ubuntu is the constant chopping and changing of package sets. I understand that they have problems with certain programs and the rest of it, but for the life of me I do not understand why the hell they dropped Pidgin for Empathy.

Soldato
By ripping off OSX. They really need to settle on a theme and icon set that sets the distro apart from everything else, so that people who look at it KNOW it's Ubuntu... and have it cover everything so the whole GUI feels solid and uniform. There has been a complete lack of consistency in Ubuntu in regards to it theme since 8.04, with Gnome changing the login screen (which looks hideous now) and the various bootsplashes and metacity/GTK themes. That said, the new boot splashes are lovely, both on Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

Another thing with Ubuntu is the constant chopping and changing of package sets. I understand that they have problems with certain programs and the rest of it, but for the life of me I do not understand why the hell they dropped Pidgin for Empathy.

Totally Agree. Its putting me off. I used to hate the fact Windows was the same but there is something for consistancy. I understand things need to improve but make better more of what they hve not change it for something new all the time. hate the bar being left handed :mad:
10.04 for me keeps crashing and is pretty unusable. having to wait now for it to become released.

Soldato

The only similarity I can see with OS X on Lucid is that they've moved the window buttons to the left side of the window by default. The buttons aren't even in the same order as OS X - hardly ripping it off.

Some of the other changes you mention happen because the project is hugely dependant on what changes the contributed software bring in. The login screen changed not because Ubuntu changed it, but because the developers of GDM changed it. Either the Ubuntu management go with the new change, or they need to spend time and effort making another login manager the default.

At the end of the day, Ubuntu is a *distribution*. It's a collection of software packages, a lot of which are fairly fast moving - this means that every 6 month release may see some quite significant changes in how various bits and pieces work. Now, this isn't true for a lot of the cosmetic changes, and the Pidgin->empathy change, but the great thing about it is that you're not stuck with whatever Ubuntu sets as default. You can just rip it out and replace it with whatever you like.

I'd rather see Ubuntu experiment with new ideas to give a better OS in the future, rather than stick with an early decision purely for consistency's sake. In the grand scheme of things, it's still fairly new.

Permabanned
I'd rather see some consistency, with the refinement of already established, solid software packages and drivers, instead of the constant chopping and changing of the GUI and inclusion of poor software packages.

Suppose that's why I've actually found myself preferring Kubuntu to Ubuntu. KDE made one big change and Kubuntu took it. Since then it has been a refinement and perfection of the package as a whole. "This is what it looks like, now work out the bugs". Instead Ubuntu seems to be "This is what it looks like, NEW RELEASE! CHANGE EVERYTHING!".

Last edited:
Soldato
Ubuntu was great when I was starting out, it and suse taught me a lot, now using Arch linux full-time and will not be changing anymore :p

I'm not keen on ubuntu's dire to change standard things etc etc.

Permabanned
SuSE has always been a good solid release with it's YAST tools never deviating much and been tweaked as the years have gone past (think I started using that back at 9.0, might have been 16/17). Even if Gnome and KDE have had huge changes, the YAST packages have pretty much remained the same and been refined.

Arch is good. Especially pacman. If Debian/apt-get disappeared tomorrow I'd switch full time to Arch/pacman.

Associate
My experience of 10.04 has been really quite poor (and 9.10 to some extent), the nouveau drivers simply don't work (I am fully nVidia on all my PC's since their drivers are excellent) the problem seems to be the same as fedora 12 suffers from (perhaps it's xorg?), I used the alternate install, but the problem is still there, I can't even ctrl+alt+f1 into a terminal and change the drivers. I would have a lot more sympathy with the developers if this was some more obscure hardware, but this is an nVidia card in a mainstream dell business laptop, they should have it sorted. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of community support either.

I would like to echo a lot of what has been said by other posters, I believe canonical are a bit confused as to what to do with releases. Personally I think they have the basis of a good OS, they should work more on sorting drivers and bugs, and possibly helping application development and general polishing. However they seem keen on reinventing things, from what I understand the new look was due to a reshuffle in the company, and lets face it I'm VERY glad they go rid of the brown, but to switch the window buttons to the left, is really just crass.

So, in conclusion, they have made some very odd choices, (pidgin => empathy, and windows buttons on the left?! for starters) and unless I see improvements by the release, it will be a no from me.

Soldato
Arch is good. Especially pacman. If Debian/apt-get disappeared tomorrow I'd switch full time to Arch/pacman.

Arch really is the way forward for me. I agree with the KISS principle and the small base-install. I don't use GNOME or KDE, so the standard Ubuntu/Kubuntu installs are useless to me anyway.

But I really do not agree with a lot of the directions that Canonical are taking with Ubuntu and that was one of the major reasons that I moved away from Ubuntu as my operating system. Perhaps also the reason that CrunchBang Linux have moved from an Ubuntu base to a Debian base, and the reason that, as far as I am aware, the Linux Mint developers are considering doing the same.

With regards to Lucid, my experience with it so far has been okay. Putting aside irrelevant issues with the appearance (I don't like the placement of the window buttons, either), it seems solid enough on my test machine, but the standard GNOME and KDE installs are bloated for me. They both run fast enough for me and certainly seem more stable than Karmic, which is good. Is it something that will attract more users and keep current users using the operating system? I don't know. What Canonical need to be aware of is that with this being the LTS release, it is going to be deployed in a lot of places and remain there for a very long time, much like Hardy (my favourite release, incidentally), so they have to get it pretty-much spot-on or people will start to move away.

Soldato
OP
Tried it on a vm
like the new interface it is all purple and black menu looks lovely

not sure when the full version comes out but if the TV software is more compatible with my HVR 1100 I will consider getting it installed in place of 9.10

Soldato
Tried it on a vm
like the new interface it is all purple and black menu looks lovely

not sure when the full version comes out but if the TV software is more compatible with my HVR 1100 I will consider getting it installed in place of 9.10

Release is only a little over two weeks from now.

Soldato
I tried it on a VM and really like it. Just the little things like having an X on the top left of windows make it much more usable for me. Enjoyed the speed too.

Will defo try it on my laptop when it goes to release.

Associate
I installed it on my laptop from USB which was fine, however it has a massive conflict with my laptops wireless card so it doesnt find the drivers even when connected by cable to the net.

Even the hackjob drivers i found as a fix wouldnt work because my laptops CD drive is broken =P

So im back on 8.something which works perfectly :D

Back
Top Bottom