Ubuntu: An Excellent Beginners Distro

Soldato
Originally posted by marc2003
i'm also after a quick fix for the annoying window behaviour in nautilus. it's just like windows 95, opening a new window for each folder you open, answers on a postcard please... :) i've looked at the obvious options but can't find anything...

well a bit of googling and if you double click your middle mouse button/wheel it opens the folder in the same window. but this is awkward with my mouse.. and no toolbar with an 'up' button... a bit lame if you ask me :(

/me needs to find another file manager. :)

btw i used to run win2k on a p233 with 256mb ram. absolutely fine for browsing, music etc. more ram the better. :D

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Originally posted by roozor
guys, im about to get ubuntu linux, do i just need to get the warty-a64.iso file , as i have an athlon 64 :O ?

Yes, seems like you'll be the first ubuntu A64 guinea pig :)

What mobo have you got BTW?

Associate
Installing M$ Fonts :eek:

Firstly I

Code:
root@redbox:/home/simon # apt-get install msttcorefonts
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package msttcorefonts is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package msttcorefonts has no installation candidate

So I find that I need to edit my /etc/apt/sources.list to include the contrib section in your source entry. Which I did by unediting the last two sources. Then run the command and this happens

Code:
root@redbox:/home/simon # apt-get install msttcorefonts
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package msttcorefonts is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
W: Couldn't stat source package list [url]http://archive.ubuntu.com[/url] warty/universe Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_warty_universe_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Package msttcorefonts has no installation candidate

Any ideas?

Man of Honour
OP
I don't think msttcorefonts is even in the ubuntu apt-get database. I've done some searches in synaptic and can't find the microsoft fonts. I've managed to install it by first using apt-get to install "cabextract" (a dependency of msttcorefonts) then I downloaded the debian package from - http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/msttcorefonts.html - cd to the directory where you just downloaded the file and use dpkg to install it
Code:
dpkg -i msttcorefonts_1.1.11_all.deb
reboot or restart X and the fonts should be useable :)

Permabanned
The MS fonts are available from Synaptic :)

fonts1.jpg

You need to add the Debian 'universe' repository sources:-

fonts2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I'm very Interested in using this distro with me being a Linux Noob :) , I gave up the last time i tried to use use linux (FC1) Due to the issues with Ati cards.

Will this Distro work with my x800xt ? or am i still gonna have the same probs installing as i had with FC1\9800pro ?

I am determined to get to grips with Linux if only i get over the inital hurdles :) , Whats your thoughts guys ? Thanks

Man of Honour
OP
All video cards will work in linux using the generic vesa driver. However you don't get any hardware acceleration. When you dabbled with linux previously the x800 proberbly wasn't even supported in the ATI propriatory drivers. Fortunately ATI seems to be getting there act together and releasing drivers more frequently. The latest ATI driver do support the x800 ;)

Associate
Originally posted by Mpemba Effect
All video cards will work in linux using the generic vesa driver. However you don't get any hardware acceleration. When you dabbled with linux previously the x800 proberbly wasn't even supported in the ATI propriatory drivers. Fortunately ATI seems to be getting there act together and releasing drivers more frequently. The latest ATI driver do support the x800 ;)

Thanks for your reply mate :) , the problem i had before was when installing , i got so far then the system would just freeze & go no further :( , so i gave up with the 9800pro/linux .

If i can at least get this distro installed , then great , i can always install the latest drivers later :) .

Im gonna give it a try anyway :) , will post back how i got on ,Cheers

Man of Honour
I'm a bit of a SuSE fan. But I have to admit, my ideal distro would be Debian based, with a decent installer (text is fine, but Debians is a bit sparse), with apt and Gnome as a default.

...so that sounds just like Ubuntu. Downloading now :)

Back
Top Bottom