UEFA Champions & Europa League Football Thread QF 2L ** spoilers ** [16th - 18th April 2024]

fez

fez

Caporegime
Madrid have a ridiculous record in the CL considering how damn often they are the third best team on the night. They just always seem to do just enough and at just the right time.

Soldato
Haaland offers nothing in these games.

To be fair to Haaland he just doesn't get the ball played into him when many times it could have been.

Too many times it goes to Grealish or Bernado on the wing, near the touchline and then ends up going all the way back to get recycled yet again.

I used to enjoy watching Man City but this year I've often switched channels as it just gets too boring for me.

Soldato
This is Champions League in a nutshell. We all love it because of the mystery and because we play teams from other leagues but it is such a spawny comp.

Out of the remaining 4 it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Dortmund won it.
Hope so, they’re huge dogs though to even get past PSG let alone those two giants in the final. Tougher to win three huge ties in a row as an underdog than a 1 off game.

Bookies odds as %

BvB 10%
Bayern 26.7%
PSG 28.6%
Madrid 41.7%

To be fair to Haaland he just doesn't get the ball played into him when many times it could have been.

Too many times it goes to Grealish or Bernado on the wing, near the touchline and then ends up going all the way back to get recycled yet again.

I used to enjoy watching Man City but this year I've often switched channels as it just gets too boring for me.

I agree with everything you’ve said. Including city being boring, maybe it’s down to them being so much better than everyone else they play? Whereas last night you had the added jeopardy of being knocked out and Madrid being able to hit them on the counter so well. If that was just a normal league game or a random game against say Newcastle I’d have watched the other game.

Soldato
I agree with everything you’ve said. Including city being boring, maybe it’s down to them being so much better than everyone else they play? Whereas last night you had the added jeopardy of being knocked out and Madrid being able to hit them on the counter so well. If that was just a normal league game or a random game against say Newcastle I’d have watched the other game.

I think the boring part just comes from them holding the ball, for pretty much all of extra time, they had the ball in the Madrid half, but just knock it back and forth. Very rarely were they cutting Madrid open (i get they were tired at this stage) or even creating half chances, or shooting from distance. It just doesn't make for an entertaining watch.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I just can't get over the lack of fight/desperation from Arsenal after they went a goal down last night. I think they just ran out of puff once it started to sink in that this dream could be over. A shame. I really want Arsenal to win something this year. City dominating is just utterly boring and I fear that despite going out of the CL they will pip Arsenal to the league again.

Last edited:
Associate
Annoying really as I missed what appeared to be the massively more entertaining first legs.

Odd how football works a times. I really didn't think RL where good in anyway last night for 60 mins. Even defensively they where average. City reminded me of Villa last night when we're given too much time on the ball. It was clear Madrid where never going to keep possession as City's press was so clinical, so why not just get a few shots off?

Would feel bad for Arsenal if it weren't for the fact they looked toothless for much of the game. It was the same in the second half on Sunday, they just seemed to down tools and wait for the whistle.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Annoying really as I missed what appeared to be the massively more entertaining first legs.

Odd how football works a times. I really didn't think RL where good in anyway last night for 60 mins. Even defensively they where average. City reminded me of Villa last night when we're given too much time on the ball. It was clear Madrid where never going to keep possession as City's press was so clinical, so why not just get a few shots off?

Would feel bad for Arsenal if it weren't for the fact they looked toothless for much of the game. It was the same in the second half on Sunday, they just seemed to down tools and wait for the whistle.

The Arsenal game was dull as hell and the City game wasn't any better when I moved over to it on about 85 minutes. Highlight was Bernado spooning his penalty into the awaiting gloves of their keeper in the penalties.

Last weeks games were all crackers. Such a shame about last nights really. I shouldn't have said that away goals was worse. My bad.

Back
Top Bottom