UEFA Champions League/Europa League 18/19/20 February *** Spoilers ***

Soldato
It's not a coincidence that when City started pressing Barca found a little more space in behind, like when Fabregas played Iniesta in. Far better off sitting off, asking Barca to pass through them, and using Negredo's height and Navas's pace to hold the ball up top when they get the chance to break.

Edit: There again - City had men up pressing, and if Sanchez's touch was better he'd have been in.

You think City should just sit back, let them run at them and hope for the lucky break? Nah, hold the ball and play them at their own game if you can. I'm sure city can do that.

Soldato
That's a fair point but usually any team that sits off for an entire match concedes anyway especially against this sort of team, navas pace they haven't used to great effect negredo height has helped then loads so far though

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing teams press high and play attacking football, but it's not the way to beat Barca. The only team that can beat Barca at their own game is Bayern.

Inter, Chelsea, and Mourinho's Madrid team have all shown over the last few years that, for a team of City's quality, the best way to win is to sit off, ask Barca to pass through you, and then use the ball well when they fail to do so. Pressuring them up the pitch leaves gaps for their front three.

Caporegime
City with countless chances at this point, barca only had two good ones where cesc over hit and iniesta refused to shoot. City's game to lose really based on this first half

Soldato
You think City should just sit back, let them run at them and hope for the lucky break? Nah, hold the ball and play them at their own game if you can. I'm sure city can do that.

I do, when Barca have the ball. City's back four and two pivots are good enough at closing off space to prevent Barca getting anything out of this. As soon as they start leaving gaps, Barca will get in.

We've just seen a half of football where, for the most part, City have done what I'm advocating and Barca haven't had a chance - the only thing Joe Hart has done is save a 30 yard effort from Xavi.

Edit: Hell, even Celtic managed to sit off and beat Barca :D

Back
Top Bottom