UEFA Champions League/Europa League 20/21/22 February *** Spoilers ***

fez

fez

Caporegime
There was one challenging save from DDG in the 1st half - other than that every shot they took was basic goalkeeping

Their best results have also come at home, away they are even weaker (according to stats anyway)

If the opposition miss 30 chances because they can’t finish that doesn’t mean you weren’t massively lucky. They could easily have scored 5/6 today. The chances they had weren’t half chances either.

Soldato
If the opposition miss 30 chances because they can’t finish that doesn’t mean you weren’t massively lucky. They could easily have scored 5/6 today. The chances they had weren’t half chances either.
if a rookie goal keeper can save 90% of their shots on target - that isn't luck, that's poor striking (which shows in all their stats)

Caporegime
Did the commentators watch the same game?!

Seville have a mountain to climb, United in control.............it was 0-0!! 1 away goal for Seville in the second leg and United are up slack alley!

The paid bias in the commentary was insane, complete control is a team who come away and concede almost no chances, keep the ball well, maybe make some chances of their own. If Sevilla had better attackers Utd could have left this first leg 3 of 4 down having created almost no chances.

They praised the midfield three when the midfield three did absolutely nothing, they didn't get at all involved offensively and Sevilla went through the midfield like it wasn't there. This game was about poor Sevilla finishing. No trouble, no threat and no danger despite some fantastic chances and getting well into the box repeatedly. If Banega had any quality with his corners or freekicks tonight they had plenty of corners and freekicks but by and large his delivery was atrocious. Lastly, it seems incomprehensible to the commentators that Sevilla might want to play defensive and not concede away goals to a side filled with a huge amount of quality players, but it's absolutely fine and admirable for Mourinho to go away with one of the most expensive sides ever put together and not even try to score for themselves. The double standard there is amazing. Mourinho against a side they say was no threat and it's fine he set out to not attack at all but a smaller side against european giants don't go all out attack and they are some how disappointing.

I can't stand Mcmanaman, one of the worst commentators out there. I particularly liked when he complained that a player went down because he kicked the Utd players studs rather than the Utd player catching him... apparently physics changes depending on whose fault it is and because he kicked the utd players studs the top of his foot would be completely unscathed and not hurt at all.

Ignoring all that, football is about entertainment, Mourinho takes as said, a hugely expensive side filled with attacking talent, benches his created 90mil midfielder, takes off his highest paid in the English league new attacking player fairly early and makes no attempt to entertain anyone watching the game in the slightest. THere is being defensive and there is being pathetic, and embarrassing, Mourinho's concept of football is simply bad, he can't and won't ever create a 'great' side or stay anywhere long term because he can't in any way create great to watch football. He can create short term success that no one can stomach for long. Put it this way, if every team in europe adopted the Mourinho footballing philosophy, football fans would just get bored and millions of people would stop bothering to watch. Compared to the other games on show this round this was straight up embarrassing.

Oh, I like how Mcmanaman thought bringing on Rashford was injecting some pace into the game.... when he was subbed on for Sanchez.

Soldato
Sevilla will be even more toothless (if that's actually possible) at Old Trafford so I guess it is a good result. This is a team that went a full season without winning a single away game.

Still utterly embarrassing the way McManaman was going on, even more so when you consider the money spent.

fez

fez

Caporegime
if a rookie goal keeper can save 90% of their shots on target - that isn't luck, that's poor striking (which shows in all their stats)

So you think we controlled the game and that we wanted to rely on them being awful in front of goal. Against a team who is rubbish you should dominate not bet on them to be rubbish.

Soldato
Ignoring all that, football is about entertainment, Mourinho takes as said, a hugely expensive side filled with attacking talent, benches his created 90mil midfielder, takes off his highest paid in the English league new attacking player fairly early and makes no attempt to entertain anyone watching the game in the slightest.

Oh, I like how Mcmanaman thought bringing on Rashford was injecting some pace into the game.... when he was subbed on for Sanchez.
Pogba didn't do very much in the 75 minutes or so he was given so I'm not sure why it would have made much difference if he hadn't been benched

Sanchez had a really god 1st half, but was invisible by about the 75 minute when he was subbed

Soldato
So you think we controlled the game and that we wanted to rely on them being awful in front of goal. Against a team who is rubbish you should dominate not bet on them to be rubbish.
I never said we controlled the game - tell me where I said that

I said that DDG was only actually tested once despite 8 shots on target - that shows how **** their offensive players were tonight

How good their midfield or back 4 is has no relation at all to the above (where majority of play was)

The fouls count is also ludicrous given how terrible the ref was - even a breath of wind in the wrong angle made their players go down and get fouls - yet even when our players were fouled it was the home side getting the free kicks majority of the time. (young and Valencia both got taken out from behind before the opponent got the ball, yet no free kick was given, and Mctominay near their "D" also getting kicked himself and play was waved on even though we lost possession)

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I did enjoy the attacking breaks for United between Pogba and Sanchez, then they get Lukaku in on it and it all goes to pot. He really has become a bit of a donkey with his feet.

Caporegime
Pogba didn't do very much in the 75 minutes or so he was given so I'm not sure why it would have made much difference if he hadn't been benched

Sanchez had a really god 1st half, but was invisible by about the 75 minute when he was subbed

Pogba was poor... why is that? A year and a half of playing defensive minded boring football has an effect on a player. But also in general the team was drilled tonight with instructions, don't flood forwards on counters, no real support. Tell your attacking talent not to attack and that is what you get.

Guardiola pushed their current style on City as soon as he joined, but it didn't look great and effective till this year, change takes time, training effects change slowly, Pogba is for me getting worse the longer he plays this style under Mourinho. All Mourinho's teams and most of his players suffer the same fate, more defensive, less attacking and they get used to this type of play.

As for Sanchez being good, he made one really good pass all game for Utd's only really good chance which Lukaku blasted over, apart from that he drifted all over the place, held onto the ball too long repeatedly slowing the few decent counters they had and lost the ball multiple times as usual. I think he only potentially looked good because Mata did absolutely nothing, Pogba was told to stay deep and Lukaku was isolated with zero support so Sanchez dropping deep and with the freedom to drift anywhere he wanted to meant he was the only attacking player who got at least some of the ball.

Soldato
Pogba made one really good pass all game , apart from that he drifted all over the place, held onto the ball too long repeatedly slowing the few decent counters they had and lost the ball multiple times as usual. I think he only potentially looked good because Mata did absolutely nothin.
well said

(yes I changed the name, but its equally true of Pogba as it was of Sanchez, I actually thought Sanchez did ok given he has played all of 3 games for utd vs 50 or so for Pogba

interesting stat

5 out of the last 7 Utd matches away in Spain have been goalless at full time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom