UEFA Champions League/Europa League 9/10/11 May *** Spoilers ***

Soldato
I agree. It all rests on the Ajax game, and given how badly we often play, anything could happen. Failure to win that would be a disaster, so there's tons of pressure.

In one game you've got:

Decent trophy to win
Champions League qualification
Supercup match at the start of next season

The one good thing about the final

For whatever reason, over the last 7 months in general (since the Chelsea game , in Oct) - Utd have been better away from home

Maybe a few of those results would only get Utd into extra time in the final, but even so

No doubt a tough game to come

It's hard to tell how much transfers ride on getting the win. I do wonder what Mourinho's future will be though. Clearly we're not going to sack him this season but if next year isn't better...

I actually think it will make a huge difference.

Monaco will probably be picked apart, AG (if he ever really intends to leave AM) will only join if CL is on offer, and no doubt a few others also.

We will probably get other players, but whether they wil be of the quality required will be another matter entirely

Man of Honour
It's hard to tell how much transfers ride on getting the win. I do wonder what Mourinho's future will be though. Clearly we're not going to sack him this season but if next year isn't better...

If we don't win the Europa League then the pressure on him next season will be quite intense from the off.

In all fairness, if we had more reliable finishers in the first leg, we'd have probably been 4-0 up on aggregate before the game tonight even started. Our finishing has been painful to watch with the exception of Zlatan and Rashford (sometimes).

Soldato
In all fairness, if we had more reliable finishers in the first leg, we'd have probably been 4-0 up on aggregate before the game tonight even started. Our finishing has been painful to watch with the exception of Zlatan and Rashford (sometimes).

Even Zlatan has been painful to watch on occasion - don't get me wrong, I dread to think where we would be without him right now, but he has missed (what , for him , should be) some easy chances which would have generated a handful of points in the EPL alone

Soldato
Even Zlatan has been painful to watch on occasion - don't get me wrong, I dread to think where we would be without him right now, but he has missed (what , for him , should be) some easy chances which would have generated a handful of points in the EPL alone

He's always done that though. Fantastic player, but he's always had the propensity to miss sitters.

Soldato
he chooses to start with Lingard who runs his heart out but is about as much goal threat as De Gea.

could have said that about SAF / Nani not so long ago

edit - cant Utd appeal the red from Bailly (in time) - surely they should be able to?

My stream kept on cutting out, so I haven't seen a decent replay but it doesn't look like its a purposefull hand in the face (and I actually thought it was Valencia's trying to separate them), more like a hand connecting with a shoulder that glanced into the face?

Caporegime

Jose is right in a way it is one of our most important games in the clubs history. It is a pivotal point to see whether we stay a big club or go down the route of Liverpool in the 00's and end up as mid table club challenging for top four.

Will be interesting to see who starts the Europa League final. Romero would be hard done by to be left out but De Gea is the number 1.

Soldato
I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of the potential transfer targets have made it clear that they will only join if CL football is on offer next season.

I don't blame Zlatan, United just need more goals from midfield. Sure, Zlatan has missed a fair few (the most clear cut chances of any player in the PL I believe), but that's due in part to the enormous percentage of our chances that have fallen to him. You look at the other top teams in the prem and the ones who are scoring plenty of goals are usually doing it with one decent striker (Kane at Tottenham, Costa at Chelsea) but also getting plenty of input from two or three midfielders (Hazard and Pedro at Chelsea, Alli, Son and Eriksen at Spurs). Hell, Liverpool have shown that you can score lots of goals without a recognised striker. What we have really lacked this season is input from the midfield. The likes of Martial, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Lingard, etc simply haven't stepped up to the plate when it comes to scoring goals. I don't think adding Griezmann is enough on its own, we need at least a few attacking options that we can be confident will contribute 10+ goals in the league next season.

Caporegime
I'm not sure, we managed to sign Pogba and Mkhi last season, two players playing for CL clubs (and latter stages clubs at that) I think the lure of playing for Mourinho is pretty big.

Don
Hell, Liverpool have shown that you can score lots of goals without a recognised striker. What we have really lacked this season is input from the midfield.
The flip side to that is we've also shown that without a recognised striker, when the team doesn't play well it's much harder to win games.

Soldato
Will be interesting to see who starts the Europa League final. Romero would be hard done by to be left out but De Gea is the number 1.

Romero has done well but for instance I think De Gea would have at least tried to save the goal tonight while Romero was rooted.

Too big a game to risk Romero imo but admittedly it will be a hard choice if romero doesn't get it

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of the potential transfer targets have made it clear that they will only join if CL football is on offer next season.

I don't blame Zlatan, United just need more goals from midfield. Sure, Zlatan has missed a fair few (the most clear cut chances of any player in the PL I believe), but that's due in part to the enormous percentage of our chances that have fallen to him. You look at the other top teams in the prem and the ones who are scoring plenty of goals are usually doing it with one decent striker (Kane at Tottenham, Costa at Chelsea) but also getting plenty of input from two or three midfielders (Hazard and Pedro at Chelsea, Alli, Son and Eriksen at Spurs). Hell, Liverpool have shown that you can score lots of goals without a recognised striker. What we have really lacked this season is input from the midfield. The likes of Martial, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Lingard, etc simply haven't stepped up to the plate when it comes to scoring goals. I don't think adding Griezmann is enough on its own, we need at least a few attacking options that we can be confident will contribute 10+ goals in the league next season.

Hasn't pogba hit the woodwork like 10 times or more this season (in all comps)

Baring in mind he has played a lot of games as the 2nd DM player rather than further forward, I think he has done ok, not brilliantly admittedly but IF we are able to get a decent proper DM, with Herrera then moving into the current Pogba roll and then him moving back into No 10 or whatever, plus him being more used to the EPL - Pogba should be able to score a decent amount hopefully

Caporegime
I'm fairly certain Romero will start, Jose has said time and time again it's his competition. It's a mistake imo but I wonder if De Gea does go in the summer whether we'll stick with Romero as our no. 1.

Soldato
. It's a mistake imo but I wonder if De Gea does go in the summer whether we'll stick with Romero as our no. 1.
I cant see that happening

Romero is a decent no 2 but nothing better than that, if Jose does do that I can see Utd's "challenge" for the title not lasting until 1st Sep

Soldato
Hasn't pogba hit the woodwork like 10 times or more this season (in all comps)

Baring in mind he has played a lot of games as the 2nd DM player rather than further forward, I think he has done ok, not brilliantly admittedly but IF we are able to get a decent proper DM, with Herrera then moving into the current Pogba roll and then him moving back into No 10 or whatever, plus him being more used to the EPL - Pogba should be able to score a decent amount hopefully

Yeah I certainly believe that Pogba will provide more of a goal threat next season if we manage to get a DM in to allow him to have more freedom in midfield, plus like you say he'll be more used to the PL by next year. However, if we do lose Zlatan then replacing him with Griezmann won't necessarily get us any more total goals and Pogba is still an unknown quantity, I think United will have to look to get at least two strikers/number 10s in this summer.

The flip side to that is we've also shown that without a recognised striker, when the team doesn't play well it's much harder to win games.

True, Liverpool have struggled recently against teams that sit back, maybe having a top striker would have helped open some of those teams up a bit more or at least provided Liverpool with a plan b.

Soldato
On a quick scan the last time Ajax won in the Europa this season away from home was in Sep vs Panathinaikos

(admittedly they could technically be at home in Stockholm)

Don
How could they be at home in Stockholm Frank? :confused: Or are you saying they could be drawn by UEFA as the home side? In which case what on earth does that have to do with their form away from home?

Some of your posts really are confusing Frank.

Man of Honour
It could be said including Chelsea given then will have only played approx. 60% the matches Utd have
We're on for the proper double and you're on for a double of second rate cups albeit fun cups to win.
Even if we don't win the FA cup our season is still better than yours, especially as it's been a bonus season as no-one expected us to be anywhere near winning the league again so soon.

Soldato
United should absolutely tonk Ajax...it shouldnt be remotely close. This is the poorest EL ive probably ever seen but if you win it...you win it.

3 nil United in the final.

Soldato
United should absolutely tonk Ajax...it shouldn't be remotely close. This is the poorest EL ive probably ever seen but if you win it...you win it.

3 nil United in the final.
United haven't played anyone as good as Ajax in this competition. If the team is paralysed by fear of losing like it was last night or Jose tells them to play for penalties then I am genuinely fearful. Ajax are a young team and will be well rested. United are on their hands and knees atm and have three EPL matches to play between now and the final. At this rate we'll be lucky to have 16 players to choose a team from!

Back
Top Bottom