UEFA Champions League/Europa League 9/10/11 May *** Spoilers ***

Soldato
If United win the final and get into the CL I'll be disgusted. Nowhere near good enough for that competition (then again, England's 4th placed team will be little better, so meh)
Considering Leicester were the best of England's crop in the CL this season I don't think the standard is exactly high from these shores. Best League in the world. Hmmmm

Soldato
No it couldn't.

As stated - IF we win

2 titles, one European
In the CL group stage next season
More money generated over the season

While playing a huge amount more games, that's nothing to be sniffed at

Relatively all the teams surviving are doing a lot better and considering your spend it is absolutely garbage.

Conte had an already assembled side that performed VERY badly last season, didn't really need to do too much as has already been proven, and played a huge amount less games therefore had to rotate less even after players getting a lot more rest between games

That makes it a lot easier than you are making it sound

Considering the spend was mainly on one player who had to re-acclimatise to the league after barely playing in it and 4 years away....yeah Chelsea had it relatively easy

Man of Honour
I haven't lost any faith in Mourinho just yet, I think he's simply unhappy with his squad (even though he should do a better job of coaching them and making them better).

Massive room for improvement and we'll need to see that next season, and if we fail to beat Ajax there will be some concerns.

Despite all this we could end the season with the best/2nd best trophy haul and still qualify for the CL. Dress that up how you like but it would be a major positive. Won't be an easy final though.

Soldato
I haven't lost any faith in Mourinho just yet, I think he's simply unhappy with his squad (even though he should do a better job of coaching them and making them better).

Massive room for improvement and we'll need to see that next season, and if we fail to beat Ajax there will be some concerns.

Despite all this we could end the season with the best/2nd best trophy haul and still qualify for the CL. Dress that up how you like but it would be a major positive. Won't be an easy final though.

you put it much better than I did, spot on

I don't see Utd without Ibra beating Ajax in the final, will be interesting to see how Mou sets up Utd against Ajax.

It wont be an easy game admittedly, but they aren't quite as good away (seemingly) and maybe it was just the edit I watched but last week, the Lyon gk seemed to give away a couple of soft goals

Soldato
Even if you win, nobody would swap Utd's season for Chelsea's. You're kidding yourself.

Like Liverpool they were hardly tested this season, lets see how they both cope next season when they both have a full fixture list before bestowing the coming of the Lord on either of them

Soldato
I'd take Europa league over FA Cup or EFL Cup but you'd be crazy to think it's better than winning the league.

Personally getting 5th or 6th while still winning the EL is a better overall performance given the amount of games - compared to TWO teams playing 60% of the game and having it easy, full rest, less chance of injury ETC ETC

just so anyone doesn't think I'm presuming - IF ....IF...IF.... Utd win (and as above, its no given)

Caporegime
Conte had an already assembled side that performed VERY badly last season, didn't really need to do too much as has already been proven, and played a huge amount less games therefore had to rotate less even after players getting a lot more rest between games

That makes it a lot easier than you are making it sound

Considering the spend was mainly on one player who had to re-acclimatise to the league after barely playing in it and 4 years away....yeah Chelsea had it relatively easy

You've spent an awful lot on players more than just this year (and managers).

Relative to your spending/players/manager your season isn't great, you've crawled over the line against awful teams in the EL also lol.

Taking it in isolation though, other than Chelsea's finishing position, if you win you'll have had the second best season for an English team imo, which is certainly something to enjoy

Don

The success of your season will rest on the outcome of the final. Mourinho started the season talking about winning the league so to (almost certainly) miss out on the top 4 in the league would be a huge underachievement given the squad he had available to him and how much he spent on it. The League Cup is relatively meaningless - of course you'd rather win it than not but it's certainly not a priority. The Europa League is undervalued in this country imo and should be celebrated should you win but the ultimate prize is qualification for next years CL. Win the final and it will make up for the poor league form, lose it and it's been a pretty embarrassing season for the squad you have.
Like Liverpool they were hardly tested this season, lets see how they both cope next season when they both have a full fixture list before bestowing the coming of the Lord on either of them
What are you talking about cm.....sorry Frank?

Caporegime
Jesus feel like that one comment I made spun it in Frank's head that somehow manu have had the best season out of anyone :D

Soldato
Yeah agreed, winning the league is far and away the best achievement. Being consistently the best team over 38 matches is very tough and Chelsea fully deserve it. Plus it's automatic CL qualification too, so there's that. Having said that, Chelsea will struggle next year without serious improvement in their overall squad. Their first team is great, but beyond one or two players on the bench they really lack depth. Long-term injuries to someone like Hazard or Kante would really derail them imo, and playing all the football they have this year plus European football on top will be tough. Even Conte himself has said next year will be much harder.

Soldato
Relative to your spending/players/manager your season isn't great, you've crawled over the line against awful teams in the EL also lol.

You know as well as I do though, that having three managers on the trot in quick succession rarely makes for a good squad

How much has Liverpool wasted before Klopp came in? In %terms of turnover it may not be that different

Man of Honour
The success of your season will rest on the outcome of the final. Mourinho started the season talking about winning the league so to (almost certainly) miss out on the top 4 in the league would be a huge underachievement given the squad he had available to him and how much he spent on it. The League Cup is relatively meaningless - of course you'd rather win it than not but it's certainly not a priority. The Europa League is undervalued in this country imo and should be celebrated should you win but the ultimate prize is qualification for next years CL. Win the final and it will make up for the poor league form, lose it and it's been a pretty embarrassing season for the squad you have.

I agree. It all rests on the Ajax game, and given how badly we often play, anything could happen. Failure to win that would be a disaster, so there's tons of pressure.

In one game you've got:

Decent trophy to win
Champions League qualification
Supercup match at the start of next season

Caporegime
It's hard to tell how much transfers ride on getting the win. I do wonder what Mourinho's future will be though. Clearly we're not going to sack him this season but if next year isn't better...

Back
Top Bottom