UEFA Euro 2020 Semi Finals ** spoilers ** [6th - 7th July 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Absolutely never a pen. Anyone saying it's a pen must be English and must ask themselves if that was giving against them if they'd be happy. IMO the replies make it even worse, the behind angle shows how little contact is even made an absolute joke.
I didn't think it was a pen but then I also didn't think the free kick that lead to the Danish goal was a foul either so it evened itself out on the night.

Associate
I thought they all played well considering how Southgate has them set up. Well apart from Pickford he was poor. From the second half starting it was never in doubt for me. Game should have been over in normal time if Sir Gareth didn't insist on 6 defensive players. I'd love him to start Hendo at the expense of preferably Phillips or Rice. We know the line up will be the exact same though against Italy with maybe Sancho in for Saka. Despite having so many defenders we looked all over the place in the first half. Also find it frustrating that down the right no one wanted to get a cross in. They would work it back the other way down the line instead. No stand out performers for me but a decent ground out semi final where the occasion clearly got to the players in the first half.

Associate
The contact must be deemed excessive, careless or reckless for it to be a penalty.

Well, it would classify as careless. The ball was past the Danish player before he stuck his leg out. There was contact, albeit very minimal. It is careless to stick your leg out, especially in the penalty area, when you have zero chance of actually winning the ball.

Love all these salty tears from non-english fans.

Soldato
Well, it would classify as careless. The ball was past the Danish player before he stuck his leg out. There was contact, albeit very minimal. It is careless to stick your leg out, especially in the penalty area, when you have zero chance of actually winning the ball.

We got the pen because the ref gave it and since there was some contact then it wasn't deemed a clear and obvious error, had the ref not given it then I don't think VAR would have overturned him either.

Soldato
We got the pen because the ref gave it and since there was some contact then it wasn't deemed a clear and obvious error, had the ref not given it then I don't think VAR would have overturned him either.
Exactly this. We were very lucky to get the pen, but that's just part of the game.

Best team won in the end, regardless of that pen decision.

Associate

No idea if VAR would have given it, but the point is irrelevant really. As you said no clear and obvious error - not like say punching the ball in the goal or the ball having crossed the line by at least a meter, so England were due that piece of luck - if indeed it was luck.

Soldato
I don't follow football much but I do know we've had a few iffy decisions go against us in major tournaments. This time, one went in our favour.

It's not like Denmark haven't had their own luck. They didn't even qualify for the 92 Euros which they won. It's only because Yugoslavia got kicked out that they were even allowed to participate.

Soldato
The contact must be deemed excessive, careless or reckless for it to be a penalty.
Simply not true. If hes impeeded its a foul but hes dived so it just isnt.

Didnt see any contact personally but look forward to the new football season given some views on here.

Absolutely never a pen. Anyone saying it's a pen must be English and must ask themselves if that was giving against them if they'd be happy. IMO the replies make it even worse, the behind angle shows how little contact is even made an absolute joke.

We found the Scottish loser lol

Pro football has no excuse for was it wasn’t it. All those cameras and a semi final no less. The game has always been a joke.

Associate
Well done England, not the prettiest team to watch but they are effective and deserved to win. It was a soft penalty but there did appear to be contact which is enough to give it. Their opponents in the final definitely know a thing or two about going down with barely a touch!

It's a win win situation for me, I've supported Italy for a long time but certainly won't begrudge England a big tournament win. With home advantage (only one game away all tournament!) this is easily their best chance to get a title. They'll have to shore up that defence though, the Italians pass it around a lot faster in the final third than most of their opponents so far. I don't think the extra day's rest will make much (if any) difference.

Forza Italia/come on England!

Caporegime
Those minimal touch penalties have been given all season long, the argument has always been “contact”. There was contact twice, you could see it in the replays and the stills show it.

Was it enough to throw himself on the ground? No, but that’s the state of the game these days.

Soldato
Those minimal touch penalties have been given all season long, the argument has always been “contact”. There was contact twice, you could see it in the replays and the stills show it.

Was it enough to throw himself on the ground? No, but that’s the state of the game these days.

And theyve been slaughtered on this very forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom