UEFA Euro 2024 Final Spain v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 14th July 2024]

Soldato
England were in a terrible place when Southgate took over and they needed a quick sensible non-controversial appointment to move on from the big Sam debacle, he has done remarkably well for what I'm sure was originally seen as a stop gap appointment. It will be interesting to see where his career goes from here as I'm sure there will be job offers from premier league clubs this year, I don't see him at any of the big clubs but he could well have a successful career in the middle of the table like Moyes or dare I say it big Sam himself.
I’m not denying he steadied the ship when he came in but he overstayed his welcome and should have stepped down or been moved on by the FA after euro 2021.

Soldato
I’m not denying he steadied the ship when he came in but he overstayed his welcome and should have stepped down or been moved on by the FA after euro 2021.
I thought making the final in 2021 earned him the job for another tournament as he had exceeded expectations and I can’t think of many examples of coaches getting sacked after loosing a major tournament final in pens. I did think he should have stepped down after the World Cup though as it felt like he had reached the end of his shelf life in the role.

Last edited:
Soldato
I doubt there will be many clubs lining up to take him. Ultimately a managers job is to add value to the set of players he manages. To make them better than the sum of their parts. To change games and outwit the opposition manager and his tactics. Does Southgate do any of this to even a passable level? He certainly will be taking a massive paycut for his next job.
If he wants it he will be managing a premier league club this season, a salary cut is like you say inevitable as not many premier league managers get the salary he got with England but then he seems pretty sensible so he’s likely set him and his kids up for life and I doubt money will be a key motivating factor.

Caporegime
I feel that the name of the next England manager is almost irrelevant, because whoever it is will not be able to overcome our absolute refusal to attack the opposition and make the most of our talent, although I'm definitely questioning whether the Premier League is the wrong benchmark for top quality football and therefore that England is not as good as we seem to think they are.

Caporegime
I feel that the name of the next England manager is almost irrelevant, because whoever it is will not be able to overcome our absolute refusal to attack the opposition and make the most of our talent, although I'm definitely questioning whether the Premier League is the wrong benchmark for top quality football and therefore that England is not as good as we seem to think they are.
How about La Liga or Bundesliga?

Caporegime
How about La Liga or Bundesliga?
The Spanish team had some players that were perceived by PL clubs to not be good enough, yet excelled throughout the tournament. Therefore I'm wondering if the PL club's judgement was wrong or that the PL is built to prioritise PL revenue (priority on pace, physicality, and entertainment), which may not be congruent with what's required for international success.

Caporegime
The Spanish team had some players that were perceived by PL clubs to not be good enough, yet excelled throughout the tournament. Therefore I'm wondering if the PL club's judgement was wrong or that the PL is built to prioritise PL revenue (priority on pace, physicality, and entertainment), which may not be congruent with what's required for international success.
Right but we have the best players from La Liga and Bundesliga.

Also these best players that were perceived not good enough by PL is basically just Morata, who was the worst part of the Spain team.

Caporegime
Right but we have the best players from La Liga and Bundesliga.

I'm not sure about that, the best players are in Spain on the whole. Only a matter of time before Rodri goes to Real Madrid too.

Also these best players that were perceived not good enough by PL is basically just Morata, who was the worst part of the Spain team.

Cucurella played very well?

Caporegime
Bellingham won La Liga player of the year.

Yes, hence me saying the best players are in Spain not the PL. I was definitely including Bellingham in that statement.

Cucurella played well yes, and he's still playing in the PL :confused:
'Playing' as in contracted to Chelsea, but has hardy been favoured or perceived to be successful.

Caporegime
Yes, hence me saying the best players are in Spain not the PL. I was definitely including Bellingham in that statement.

'Playing' as in contracted to Chelsea, but has hardy been favoured or perceived to be successful.
He played most of their games last season, he's not been great but this doesn't really support your 'PL bad, La Liga good' theory.

And no the best players are definitely not in La Liga, Real and Barca have a few as they usually do but most of the best players in that Spanish team play abroad (Fabian Ruiz, Olmo, Rodri, Laporte, Cucurella. The only stand out ones that are still in Spain are Lamal and Williams, the former is only 16 and the latter might leave.

Man of Honour
Time to dust off the old Football Manager screenshots...

Back
Top Bottom