1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UHD Bluray drives for PC?

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by WatchTower, Jan 2, 2017.

1. WatchTower

Mobster

I have a PC that could be dealing with a 4K video export while I play a 4K game so I have no idea why there is no UHD Bluray support for PC. Will we come?

2. Bluecube

Hitman

As far as I know there's no software support for 4K Bluray. That'll come with the hardware but currently it seems a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

3. romeooscarbravo

Associate

4. bemaniac

Mobster

I have a latest and most costly BDXL drive from Nov 16 manufacturing and bought it thinking powerdvd would support it with the new version. Fingers crossed although 980tis only have hdcp 1.4 (hence why loads of 4k tvs flicker with them in rgb mode) so I'll need a 10 series or above.

5. romeooscarbravo

Associate

Is that the lg one bemaniac? I can imagine drive manufacturers turning around and saying everyone needs to buy a new one. Im also worried about the CPU as I've read somewhere about possibly needing 7th gen intel processors. Don't particularly want to change mine anytime soon as the 6700k is more than plenty for what i need.

6. formby

Gangster

UHD Blue Ray will probably have fewer sales than Blue Ray. The disc and its drives have had their day, its all down hill now to a small and expensive end.

7. bemaniac

Mobster

Yeah the new LG BDXL latest revision.

980ti - no hdcp 2.2
    4930K - No onboard GPU

So yeah I'll need something new no doubt even if they update the drive firmware.

I will do it though as HDR pc gaming appeals to me.

8. C.R.A.Z.Y

Mobster

:rolleyes:

You should research before making silly claims otherwise you make yourself look ignorant!!

Early UHD disc standard sales have out performed early Blu ray sales by a factor of 4 (228,000 v 57,000)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  9. ViRuS2k

Soldato

well i have the LG 55" OLED 4k HDR tv and have the xbox one s and samsung uhd 4k player standalone

so i will be in no rush to get my pc compatible ;)

my 980TI`s play 4k hdr games just fine and disaply HDR properly to my eyes anyway on my oled tv and i have the LG BDXL drive just in case it works, so im kind of hoping the drive is compatible andd there is a work around for HDCP 1.4 as it can display properly via my pc to my tv with games ect so it will be down to HDCP 2.2 ect hope there is a work around for that like ANYDVD perhaps :D