UK Gladiators - 2024 reboot

@steve5424 - the Oz costumes looks like a nod to the 2008/9 revival. Agreed with you that the show needs an audience for the cheering and other reactions. It adds an atmosphere to the programme even if the crowd reactions are scripted in any way. The Glads without an audience is like watching a sitcom without a laugher track.

3rd episode now done and I'm still really enjoying it.

I noticed that the events now start with the ladies, and this is how it was in the original 1992 run.

The male Gauntlet was confusing to watch for the 2nd male contender but still highly entertaining for both males. I still think it should go back to 5 segments to make it harder as 5 segments was how it used to be.

Unusual pwnage by the balance beam in the male Eliminator!

Gladiators is on today at 19:10 after the rugby.

There is some Mandela effect going on with me though because I could have sworn that tonight's start time of around 19:00 was true to the start time of the 1992 run. I obviously mis-remembered it though and when I checked old TV listings, it was in fact more like 18:15 a.k.a not far off from the current 2024 start time.

Ep4 now done.

Still really enjoying it. It's gone back to doing the men's events first before the ladies like earlier in the series. The men were particularly strong tonight, although in the end, it was a whole world of difference between them on the Eliminator. Watching Chung on the Gauntlet was hilarious :p The ladies' Eliminator was almost a dead heat.

I'm away on the next 2 Saturdays, so I'll have to watch ep5 and ep6 on iPlayer and comment afterwards.

I saw ep5 tonight on iPlayer as I was away yesterday. I'm liking that Dual has featured on all of the episodes so far. It's really fun to watch, and sometimes it's the original content that stands the test of time. Female Eliminator was a surprise - I wouldn't have wanted to be a betting man on that O.o

There are only 6 episodes left and there are meant to be quarter finals, semis and the final. That set-up would require 7 episodes, so all I can think of is that there will be 3 'quarters' (involving a play-off), 2 semis, 1 final.

@Feek - I'm guilty as charged with using "Glads" in my WhatsApp / Signal messages to other people and pretty sure on here too. It was used in the 1992 run too and I remember my classmates (teasingly!) asking me if I have the Glad-Mag in my school bag as I carried it around with me everywhere. I was obsessed in 1992 and still am now :D

I know we're debating about the red dude getting into the quarters without previously being in the show, but this did also happen in the original 1992-1999 run. I remember stand-ins winning the episode that they entered in but not winning overall (the final). I quite liked that we had a wrestler though which made the Ring and Gauntlet more entertaining, so I'm glad that he won last night (just seen it now on iPlayer). Just see how he fares later on in the series.

In the females, I liked Bronte and so glad that she won.

Both Eliminators were within a cat's whisker though O.o

Agree Gauntlet is pants - it always has been. Get rid of it and bring back Atlas Spheres I say - or the one where they are suspended from bungee cords on the ceiling and jump off platforms to bounce up and grab velcro balls off of a big stalactite thing hanging in the middle

Agreed. That 2nd event you're describing was called Swing Shot. If memory serves, the Wall, Duel and Hang Tough were in the 1992 series plus the 2 you mentioned. Then all that was left was Danger Zone where you had to fire projectile weapons at the Gladiator, who was also firing tennis balls at the contender :D

I would also like to see Pyramid and Pendulum from the later series (after 1992). Pyramid was a wrestling event on a big stack of crash mats and the contenders had to get to the top while the Gladiators wrestled them back down. Pendulum was a big suspended Atlas Sphere-sized ball which swung from the ceiling at probably from a similar height to the Edge. Pendulum itself was a game of tag / cat-and-mouse.

I came across this retrospective of the original UK series of Gladiators.

That was a great watch, so thanks for the link :-)

I remembered that American Gladiators pre-dated ours by a few years but didn't realise that the original idea went further back to the early 80s. Being a 90s child, I'm biased in that 90s was the best decade for TV so will have to agree with the YouTube presenter there :D I paid attention to how the camera angles and placements worked back then vs now in this video and also the types of lighting used (no LEDs back then).

When John Fashanu chanted his word *awooga* (I think?), it sounded to me like he was saying OVER!!

It was interesting seeing all of the Gladiator names announced over the 8 seasons. I remembered the original 12 from 1992 off by heart, then semi-remembered the ones from 1993 to 1996, but I don't remember any of the names from 1997 onwards. I then twigged that I had a Saturday job at my local newsagents in 1997 and then I was at uni from 1998. So it meant that I never saw the last 3 series. It's the same reason why I wasn't aware of the later events - Dogfight, Tightrope, Catapult and Vertigo. Didn't realise that the Gladiators had new costumes later on either.

Flame, Phoenix and Hawk left after 1992 but I never knew why, so this video gave me some insight about "Nasty Nigel". A shame, as Phoenix was my favourite Gladiator.

I had to catch up once again today due to something cropping up yesterday.

Chung was grease lightning on the Edge and the Eliminator, although the red dude was pretty quick too despite Chung's big head start. I thought both red and blue would make great finalists head-to-head had they played in different heats/quarters.

Both red/blue females struggled on the Eliminator especially on the rope climb. It was a close one at the end, although I was hoping that Nia would win.

Legend was a funny one with his multiple fowls, especially with his press-ups on the Edge :D

Another enjoyable episode fellas. On the ladies, I was hoping that the other one would win but both good contenders all the same.

I'm liking that duel has been in every episode so far.

Not a fan of the progressive politics at the end of this week's show by blue male.

We've had a couple of gay contenders in this series, 1 male and 1 female. Absolutely fine in my mind, as they normally announce who's in the audience e.g. boyfriend, girlfriend, their parents, kids etc, and that was also the done thing in 1992. What the blue dude said at the end about LGBT is no difference really than him saying that he supports a charity.

My concern though was gender politics creeping in the reboot, but gladly that didn't happen. It's not my battle anyway as I'm not a T-girl or whatever. As an outsider though, it seems to me that the T part of LGBT is guilt-tripping LGB and the general population simply for not being trans.

Yeah there's been a few subs now this season.

I LOL'd at that slam dunk on the men's Powerball. A pity that the points from that didn't count.

Without spoiling it, I wanted the other female to win out of the females, but I'm glad that the male person won out of the males, He stormed the Eliminator!

The BBC used to be on channels 1 and 2, and ITV was channel 3. Both have around 4 channels each nowadays which is surely enough capacity to shunt a weekly fixture.

Oh well, will just have to watch it next Saturday instead. Then the finals will be in the Easter weekend.

The top 2 males and top 2 females are in this table spoilered below, which I have pinched from Wikipedia. I have also put who I would like to win if I was a betting man :-)

The 1st 4 rows are the winners from the semis. They will be playing in the finals this coming Saturday.

Finley vs Wesley - I hope Wesley wins.
Bronte vs Marie-Louse - I hope Bronte wins.

8ypSkpR.png

Back
Top Bottom