UK Gladiators - 2024 reboot

Commissario
Actually enjoying this now. Legend has a certain charm about him. Viper makes me lol. In love with diamond.
Legend is great, Viper just seems to seethe all the time. For me, it would be all about Sabre but she just can't stop preening.

Have enjoyed the competition too. How that girl threw away a 14s lead! Made for a great event though. Just wish they had different presenters.
Yup, enjoying it too. It's easy to compare to the original but times move on for H&S so I can understand some of the changes they've made. Bradley would be a fine first presenter but I'm not keen on the double act with his lad.

Oh, and they need to stop calling them "Glads", that grinds a bit.

The Gladiators should practise some of the events more. They're just not quite good enough.

Soldato
OP
@Feek - I'm guilty as charged with using "Glads" in my WhatsApp / Signal messages to other people and pretty sure on here too. It was used in the 1992 run too and I remember my classmates (teasingly!) asking me if I have the Glad-Mag in my school bag as I carried it around with me everywhere. I was obsessed in 1992 and still am now :D

Soldato
This replacement male contender is BS! Is he completely new? Surely it should have gone to the next fastest contender who had been knocked out?

Soldato
Gauntlet is pointless if the Gladiators aren’t allowed to make a serious effort to stop the contenders. They shouldn’t have the pads and it should be straight up wrestling.

Man of Honour
Gauntlet is pointless if the Gladiators aren’t allowed to make a serious effort to stop the contenders. They shouldn’t have the pads and it should be straight up wrestling.

They’re too afraid of a lawsuit probably. They used to go a lot harder back in the day. May as well scrap the gauntlet now.

This replacement male contender is BS! Is he completely new? Surely it should have gone to the next fastest contender who had been knocked out?

It makes zero sense? So the guy just skips the first round? Just take the second fastest contender.

Viper is so crap :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I am also here to express my outrage at letting someone skip the heats and go straight to the quarters - and to add insult to injury - he won!

Agree Gauntlet is pants - it always has been. Get rid of it and bring back Atlas Spheres I say - or the one where they are suspended from bungee cords on the ceiling and jump off platforms to bounce up and grab velcro balls off of a big stalactite thing hanging in the middle

Soldato
Has anyone ever seen it live? Looks like a whole lot of sitting for 1min of action after hefty set up. Genuinely enjoying the new season though.
Was just reading on Reddit someone saying they went to see it being filmed and were there between 1pm and 7pm! Defo one to watch on TV.

Soldato
OP
I know we're debating about the red dude getting into the quarters without previously being in the show, but this did also happen in the original 1992-1999 run. I remember stand-ins winning the episode that they entered in but not winning overall (the final). I quite liked that we had a wrestler though which made the Ring and Gauntlet more entertaining, so I'm glad that he won last night (just seen it now on iPlayer). Just see how he fares later on in the series.

In the females, I liked Bronte and so glad that she won.

Both Eliminators were within a cat's whisker though O.o

Soldato
OP
Agree Gauntlet is pants - it always has been. Get rid of it and bring back Atlas Spheres I say - or the one where they are suspended from bungee cords on the ceiling and jump off platforms to bounce up and grab velcro balls off of a big stalactite thing hanging in the middle

Agreed. That 2nd event you're describing was called Swing Shot. If memory serves, the Wall, Duel and Hang Tough were in the 1992 series plus the 2 you mentioned. Then all that was left was Danger Zone where you had to fire projectile weapons at the Gladiator, who was also firing tennis balls at the contender :D

I would also like to see Pyramid and Pendulum from the later series (after 1992). Pyramid was a wrestling event on a big stack of crash mats and the contenders had to get to the top while the Gladiators wrestled them back down. Pendulum was a big suspended Atlas Sphere-sized ball which swung from the ceiling at probably from a similar height to the Edge. Pendulum itself was a game of tag / cat-and-mouse.

Soldato
Yeah, pyramid won't ever come back after all the neck and back injuries.

Wall needs an upgrade: it's too hard for the Gladiators at the moment. Perhaps there needs to be more handholds spread to the sides so get can get more alongside? It's definitely worse than the old one.

Can't remember if I've already said it here but (preface to say I'm very much enjoying the show but...) the presenters are really unsuited. Just terrible. I appreciate a bit of levity, but would like the sporting contest to be a bit more seriously presented, and it would be good if the Glads' shtick wasn't no-sold by Bradley every time. He needs to let other people be funnier than himself occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom