Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Russia doesn't get to decide whether Ukraine wants to join NATO or not.

Also, that wasn't his only demand. He wanted Ukraine to demilitarise and promise neutrality.

All of these are totally unreasonable demands.

If i remember well initially it was just pledge from NATO formally that Ukraine will not join the alliance.

Now after NATO rejected that demand Putin invaded with the plan to demilitarise and de-nazify (whatever that means).

Think about it, a document saying Ukraine cannot join NATO would have saved thousands of people. I am not saying it would be correct thought, there is an argument that Ukraine and NATO are fighting for freedom of choice.

Man of Honour
So all this worrying over UK being targetted, is tripe.

There is more chance of Trump launching a nuke at the UK tomorrow,, than putin launching one at us at any point this year.

No matter how mad people make putin out to be, he is not suicidal.

I'm not sure Putin is still working to the rationale underpinning your argument any more. As much as I think the chance of direct use of nukes is low Putin has been showing some worrying signs in recent history and I don't think that is just for show - especially his talk about "what is the point of a world where Russia doesn't exist".

Caporegime
Been seeing some posts etc being posted on social media related to how the western media has been covering the Ukraine crisis, we already saw one CBS journalist apologise for his comments but it seems quite a bit more common in relation to the perception of some racism.

Poorly chosen words by the media or words misinterpreted out of context?

(https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1498487060390363137)

And then there's reports of Poland denying entry for Nigerian Ukrainians after they opened their borders to Ukrainian people wanting to flee to safety...

More here:https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/russia-ukraine-war-criticised-racism-western-coverage

It's not out of context, it's simply true... we don't need to apologise for pointing out that it is shocking to see this happening in a developed country, I know "civilised" is a bit old fashioned but it's true - we're not talking about warlords or tribal stuff in Africa, the middle east or Asia...

The border stuff is rather sad, I do hope all foreign nationals get to leave but it's hardly unexpected that people with US, UK, EU passports + Ukrainians would get into EU countries quicker than people from countries that would ordinarily require visas.

It's also a stark contrast to the usual refugees - we're used to seeing "refugees" and migrants hopping across multiple countries in Europe and being predominantly men of fighting age... it's always been a bit dubious. Total opposite here, it's mostly women and children fleeing and they're going to neighbouring countries in Europe.

Not exactly unreasonable that the likes of Poland, Lithuanian etc.. (of which some of Western Ukraine used to be a part) would be receptive to receiving Ukrainian refugees.

Caporegime
Well actually there were discussions. Russia wanted security guarantees and NATO replied that a countries right to choose their own alliances is sacred. For Russia, Ukraine in NATO is existential threat.

I can't believe you're still buying into that, I mean have you seen the leaked "victory" speech. After all the grandstanding about it pre-invasion you're still buying Russian spin at face value.

Caporegime
If i remember well initially it was just pledge from NATO formally that Ukraine will not join the alliance.

Now after NATO rejected that demand Putin invaded with the plan to demilitarise and de-nazify (whatever that means).

Think about it, a document saying Ukraine cannot join NATO would have saved thousands of people. I am not saying it would be correct thought, there is an argument that Ukraine and NATO are fighting for freedom of choice.

Yes, they are, and absolutely should fight for it.

Russia is just terminally angry/jealous that all the former Soviet states have embraced western democracy and fallen under the west's umbrella.

They have nothing to blame but their own political , cultural and economic weakness, and it is why they have had to just resort to violence to try and get their way.

Caporegime
I think we'll still see increasing iterations of attempts at compellence and tit for tat actions before it goes anywhere near direct nuclear action.

Stuff like trying to level the playing field with regard to banks/financial institutions and markets which might include sabotage, other attempts to intimidate by displays of their power which may including demonstrative use of nuclear.

I'd agree.
I'd hopefully agree. The more likely putin is to come away with none of his wants the more likely things get world wide serious.

Soldato
Yeah the whole nuke tangent this thread took is a bit annoying. If it was triggered due to Russia raising their readiness level, the level is still 2nd out of 4 levels and the US came out and said they do not see any threat of nuclear weapons and they are not raising their alertness level.

Understandable that it got people riled up but the US came out and said it's fine.

Soldato
This is the UK Government at its best.

FwDYFkj.jpg

While all this is going on they are busy with this...

Lets just hope we the UK don't need help from other countries because we are setting a great example as always. :mad:

Corruption in all countries clearly. This government does not represent the country any more and the people in it, they are shaming us in times that we should be standing up and leading by example for the rest of world to follow, we have become all talk no action and worse our talk has also become very damaging to the safety of the world.

A Kremlin spokesman said Vladimir Putin was forced to put his nuclear deterrence forces on high alert in response to comments made by Liz Truss.

Our foreign secretary of all people.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-02-28...-truss-minister-blamed-for-putin-nuclear-move

Rant over... I'm fuming today about this situation and after days of digesting it in quiet.

Caporegime
That's a hardline position. As I said if you think it's a lie then invest in defence shield, stop all trade with Russia and prepare for WW3.

Better that, than to appease Russia and their absurd demands of other sovereign nations.

What if Russia's demand were that the UK gives up their military?

Caporegime
It's certainly a weird feeling. First time I've ever thought seriously 'this could be it' and there's nothing I can do.

It's genuinely not as much fear as regret I didn't do more before. The cliche time is precious! This was going to be the first year of nice etc. Holiday with house bought.

Even having those thoughts means there is genuinely a part of me that believes this could happen.

On plus side. If survive it I think I will live more for the moment. Rather than constantly trying to save for the future.

Gives an iota of a thought of what it's like living in constant fear or what Ukrainians are going through. Food for thought.

Caporegime
This is the UK Government at its best.

FwDYFkj.jpg

While all this is going on they are busy with this...

Lets just hope we the UK don't need help from other countries because we are setting a great example as always. :mad:

Corruption in all countries clearly. This government needs to go, it does not represent the country any more and the people in it, they are shaming us in times that we should be standing up and leading by example for the rest of world to follow, we have become all talk no action and worse our talk has also become very damaging to the safety of the world.

Our foreign secretary of all people.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-02-28...-truss-minister-blamed-for-putin-nuclear-move

Rant over... I'm fuming today about this situation and after days of digesting it in quiet.
Post this in the speakers corner thread. This is about a tragic war, not a Tory bashing thread

Soldato
It's certainly a weird feeling. First time I've ever thought seriously 'this could be it' and there's nothing I can do.

It's genuinely not as much fear as regret I didn't do more before. The cliche time is precious! This was going to be the first year of nice etc. Holiday with house bought.

Even having those thoughts means there is genuinely a part of me that believes this could happen.

On plus side. If survive it I think I will live more for the moment. Rather than constantly trying to save for the future.

Gives an iota of a thought of what it's like living in constant fear or what Ukrainians are going through. Food for thought.

Just lol. Pull yourself together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom