Uk's largest DVD piracy operation discovered in Leyton

Soldato
robmiller said:
Well surely your involvement in an operation of this nature would warrant future monitoring of your bank accounts and whatnot; if you notice suspicious activity in their account (ie them doing it again), investigate, seize the money and punish them again. Repeat ad nauseum.

So a slap on the wrist? I'm sure that will help to reduce piracy.

To be honest i've never seen any pirate games sold round in England,

where are they, markets etc?

Some pubs and car boot sales.

Associate
lol, pubs sell pirate games?

I remember like 10 years ago when i went to India, went into a legit looking computer shop and asked if they had any games.

The shop guy pulled out a big black big with about a billion pirate games for about 50p each. Good times

Soldato
Chronos-X said:
Is it me or are the calculated profits on piracy and drugs always a bit... exaggerated? Why would someone turning over 1.7m a week live in a council flat? Etc.

Not to attract attention from authorities?

"Hey Sarge a guy who works as a cleaner in ASDA just moved in £2m mansion, reckon that's suspicious?"

"Who cares son, a kid just called another one one Bin Laden get the bloody riot vans ready!"

Permabanned
Chronos-X said:
Is it me or are the calculated profits on piracy and drugs always a bit... exaggerated? Why would someone turning over 1.7m a week live in a council flat? Etc.

Nah,its not you,its the police.Makes there crime stats soooo much more impressive with big numbers attached.

Permabanned
Phil99 said:
Don't you mean the potential profits they deprived the studio of, not the money they stole?

Nothing has been physically stolen as far as I can see.

No, think how many people work on a film in its entire life, Pirates are just going to ruin the way films are made.

We will end up with either huge blockbusters or $50,000 budget films.

Soldato
cheets64 said:
No, think how many people work on a film in its entire life, Pirates are just going to ruin the way films are made.

We will end up with either huge blockbusters or $50,000 budget films.

When was the last time you went to the movies? I personally don't anymore for many reasons, first of all you have to sit for about 20 minutes of advertisments, including a few that suggest downloading a movie is the same thing as stealing a car or snatching a girl's purse. Then you have all the lights that are half dim so the staff can see pirates trying to record the movie. Of course you also have a few dozen chavs shouting and generaly being pricks. On top of that the latest movie on a weekday starts at around 8, what if I want to go to cinema later?

Yes moviemakers need to make a living too, but do you really think I care if Brat Pitt doesn't buy another million dollar car for his missus?

Efaws said:
Hello, I'd like to order 100,000 DVDrs please

100,000 DVDrs? What are they for sir?

Umm.. a .... er.... you know.... frisbee competition...

Oh ok sir, theyll be in the post right away :o

:confused:

Hi I am a retailer and I want to buy 100,000 dvds.

Here you go sir.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I uploaded a film last year which I took off a Trevor McDoughnut special on piracy and quite a few on here watched it. There was way more than 500 DVD copiers in that film. There were 3 rooms filled with the 10 duplication machines stacked on top of each other and they even found a man in bed with all these duplicators around him. One room was used as a post office. The funny thing was that when the camera zoomed into the DVD's they were all Bollywood films.

A mate of mine was actually followed for 11 months by Trading Standards before they arrested him. They watched him at computer fairs selling under the counter and estimated his earnings to be £110,000. He ended up with a tag on his leg.

Soldato
penski said:
Piracy is a crime, it should be punished.

*n

How many people commit robbery on the high seas? Or are you talking about copyright infringement? You can hardly compare that to raping somebody, can you? :edit: Sorry, Penksi you didn't compare it to being a rapist! :confused:

What next, death squads for litter louts? ;)

/me checks shed and the 1000 DVD burners...phew haven't bust me yet! :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
pyro said:
When was the last time you went to the movies? I personally don't anymore for many reasons, first of all you have to sit for about 20 minutes of advertisments, including a few that suggest downloading a movie is the same thing as stealing a car or snatching a girl's purse. Then you have all the lights that are half dim so the staff can see pirates trying to record the movie. Of course you also have a few dozen chavs shouting and generaly being pricks. On top of that the latest movie on a weekday starts at around 8, what if I want to go to cinema later?

Yes moviemakers need to make a living too, but do you really think I care if Brat Pitt doesn't buy another million dollar car for his missus?

We are talking about home entertainment which is the massive in the UK now, HD TVs, 100s of DVDs to buy every month, cheap alcohol from the supermarketr to drink with your dvd on saturday night.

Big name actors/directors get huge fees just so it looks good to the movie fans adn so that they can please the stars. Someone just producing carp quality DVDs to sell down the pub should be taught a lesson by prison.

Soldato
Let's try not to forget that those pirates probably did more than just films. Games for chipped consoles are quite common too. In all while piracy may not be that damaging in terms of money to the "Joe Black kills another bad guy" blockbusters but it is to smaller budget films and starting musical bands they can be quite damaging indeed. As a crime it's obviously isn't as bad as rape and murder but it still is a crime and I believe it should be punished with more than a slap on the wrist otherwise it simply isn't enough to stop people from doing it again.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
pyro said:
When was the last time you went to the movies? I personally don't anymore for many reasons, first of all you have to sit for about 20 minutes of advertisments, including a few that suggest downloading a movie is the same thing as stealing a car or snatching a girl's purse. Then you have all the lights that are half dim so the staff can see pirates trying to record the movie. Of course you also have a few dozen chavs shouting and generaly being pricks. On top of that the latest movie on a weekday starts at around 8, what if I want to go to cinema later?.....
Personally, the last time was a couple of weeks ago. I have to say it was a nice experience. No unwanted ads, no chavs (or anybody else for that matter) shouting, nobody recording the movie ..... and the movie started only when I was ready for it.

The cinema? Oh yeah ..... in my basement. :D

Pho

Pho

Soldato
neoboy said:
Let's try not to forget that those pirates probably did more than just films. Games for chipped consoles are quite common too. In all while piracy may not be that damaging in terms of money to the "Joe Black kills another bad guy" blockbusters but it is to smaller budget films and starting musical bands they can be quite damaging indeed. As a crime it's obviously isn't as bad as rape and murder but it still is a crime and I believe it should be punished with more than a slap on the wrist otherwise it simply isn't enough to stop people from doing it again.

That's true, but most people who pirate probably wouldn't have bought the game/music/dvd in the first place unless they could get a pirate copy, so theirs no lost sales.

Soldato
Pho said:
That's true, but most people who pirate probably wouldn't have bought the game/music/dvd in the first place unless they could get a pirate copy, so theirs no lost sales.

But if they didn't have the alternative of buying a pirate copy they would buy the original, so in a way you could argue that some profit is lost.

Soldato
Sequoia said:
Personally, the last time was a couple of weeks ago. I have to say it was a nice experience. No unwanted ads, no chavs (or anybody else for that matter) shouting, nobody recording the movie ..... and the movie started only when I was ready for it.

The cinema? Oh yeah ..... in my basement. :D

Oh, ha ha :p

cheets64 said:
Big name actors/directors get huge fees just so it looks good to the movie fans adn so that they can please the stars. Someone just producing carp quality DVDs to sell down the pub should be taught a lesson by prison.

Oh please some dude acts for a few months in some movie and make millions, a doctor who studied his ass off for 10 years to save lifes gets, what?

Last edited:
Soldato
neoboy said:
But if they didn't have the alternative of buying a pirate copy they would buy the original, so in a way you could argue that some profit is lost.

Some profit is lost due to people cheaping out and buying copies instead of the originals, but a lot of people will either buy/download a copy or go without.

Back
Top Bottom