Ultra budget gaming PC.

Associate
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, but general hardware seemed to the best place for it. At the weekend with our fine British weather i was at a BBQ, got talking to few friends and one of them was talking about how his son wants to get into PC gaming and general school work. Mostly CSGO, WOW and few other titles. He doesn't want to spend a massive amount for his sons 1st gaming PC and was talking building a machine purely with used parts just in case he doesn't get along with it. He starting showing is eBay watching list, seems like he been looking using an FX8350, 970 chip set mother board, pairing that with either r9 380 or gtx980. He mention how could get how GPU 2nd hand are going for so much money and i had to explain the mining craze etc, as he has been out of the loop a while. I said might be best to use a GTX1050 instead so he started looking at them.
To be honest i thought it wasn't a bad idea, for his sons 1st gaming PC that way he hasn't spent a huge amount on rig i think all in for the tower it came to about £350.0, As he already has monitor etc. If his boy get on he would build a decent machine in a year or so. Now if you had a budget like that for 2nd hand parts what would you pick.

Soldato
Your best off used, if you look hard enough you can fine socket 1150 systems with i5K processors and a decent graphics card for £350 or less, you can find a lot of the FX or fm2+ based systems from £150 and you can get a lot of 1155/1150 bases systems with pentiums or i3 processors maybe the odd systems with an i7. Some of these systems can include a gtx 970, gtx 780, r9 280, r9 380 and other similar performancinf cards, a lot so include a 1050 or a 750ti, but depends on price and if they spec to sell quick.

New, you could only get something like this..

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £329.47
(includes shipping: £10.50)

And obviously you need a graphics card with this then the rest to make it up.

Or then there's this..

Total: £344.38
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Much weaker processor and slower ram, but gets a graphics card included of a decent type, but then you need the rest.

This is how the intel build would likely look if you could reach £450 and if you could reach £500 then you could get the 1050ti, that is your only real option for new buys that would be worth while.

Total: £454.11
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Soldato
If you shop around (some parts from OcUK) you can find:

Intel Pentium G4560 processor
MSI H110M ECO Micro-ATX motherboard (not available from OcUK)
Asus GTX 1050 2GB Expedition OC
1x8GB Crucial 2133MHz DDR4 memory (not available from OcUK)
XFX XT Series 400W 80 Plus Bronze power supply (OcUK)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM (ST1000DM010) hard drive
Kolink Victory Micro-ATX case (OcUK)

For £355.65 current prices, new. The budget MSI Socket 1151 motherboard really helps, and makes it even more worthwhile to go with KabyLake and the Pentium dual-core/four thread CPU.

Associate
As others are hinting, £350 really isn't enough to do this correctly. Your either going to end up with old second hand parts, or build an ultra budget dual core system that wont really cut it. If you can stretch to £480 you can have a brand new quad core ryzen build though.

Total: £484.59
(includes shipping: £11.70)

Associate
What sort of gaming experience can you expect from a £355 pc though?

maxresdefault.jpg

'Bout like that I reckon.

Soldato
I have a budget build with the Intel G4560 and it used to have have 1050Ti and it played games perfectly... a lot of videos on YouTube show the performance of the two together and you'll be impressed by it at such a budget price

+1

The results are in and Pentium G4560 is pipping AMD's Ryzen 3 chips for gaming. At stock anyway. Given the G4560 costs £30 less and can be paired with a £40-ish H110 board, it does represent better value for money (for gaming) even if when overclocked the Ryzen 3 chips could beat it slightly.

Associate
+1

The results are in and Pentium G4560 is pipping AMD's Ryzen 3 chips for gaming. At stock anyway. Given the G4560 costs £30 less and can be paired with a £40-ish H110 board, it does represent better value for money (for gaming) even if when overclocked the Ryzen 3 chips could beat it slightly.
I can understand this but if you buy into Ryzen first you can overclock, second you won't be on a dead platform, the OP can always drop in a much faster CPU at a later data as the socket will be supported for at least 3 years. In the long run the Ryzens a better bet, especially as games become more multicore enabled...

Associate
I've just finished a budget build that came in at £430 built around a pentium g4560 and a gtx 1050ti. It's absolutely fine for the games I want to play now. A little low on power maybe compared to something I could have built using second hand parts and potentially cheaper, but the motherboard is kabylake compatible lga1151 so it has plenty of room to upgrade.

Associate
Molesy79 the g4560 is an lga 1151 chip. The socket so he gets to choose anyhing skylark or kabylake as an upgrade and aparently coffee lake as well shortly so maybe not as dead as u think it is.

Although the point about OC is well made.

Associate
Molesy79 the g4560 is an lga 1151 chip. The socket so he gets to choose anyhing skylark or kabylake as an upgrade and aparently coffee lake as well shortly so maybe not as dead as u think it is.

Although the point about OC is well made.
Is there confirmation that Coffee lake will work on H110/Z170? Would be interesting if so as I have a 6700K myself!

Soldato
I can understand this but if you buy into Ryzen first you can overclock, second you won't be on a dead platform, the OP can always drop in a much faster CPU at a later data as the socket will be supported for at least 3 years. In the long run the Ryzens a better bet, especially as games become more multicore enabled...

Right, I understand the pros you're seeing too, but if you're working with such a tight budget (and take some other considerations into account*) the Pentium makes more sense for an Ultra budget gaming PC.

* Spec a Ryzen 3 processor with a motherboard fit to cope with future overclocking of at least a Ryzen 5 1600. See what the total comes out to. Any AM4 motherboard under £75 (and you still have to pick carefully) is asking for trouble with Ryzen 5 1600 (or higher) and overclocking. So say you spend £175 to future-proof a little and drop in a faster, overclockable CPU at a later date. That's £75 over what a Pentium + H110 can cost, to get less gaming performance overall right now. But would upgrading cost you less overall? Let's see:

Let's say CPU and/or mobo can be sold second-hand for 50% of the price you paid. And let's ignore the fact you can pop in an i5/i7 no problem onto a H110 board (just no overclocking), and say that you upgrade to Ryzen 5 1600 and a £75 AM4 board in both cases (from Ryzen 3, and from Pentium G4560).

Original Ryzen 3 + B350 board = £175 outlay. Ryzen 3 sold, 50% CPU cost recovered = £125 outlay. Ryzen 5 1600 purchased (£185) = £310 total outlay.

Original Pentium G4560 + H110 board = £100 outlay. Both sold, 50% recovered = £50 outlay. Ryzen 5 1600 (£185) and £75 B350 board purchased = £310 total outlay.

So Pentium + H110 costs £75 less, helping those on a very tight budget, performs better at gaming right now, and where is the cost-cutting when taking into account upgrading?

At current price, these Ryzen 3 are suitable for non-gaming, multi-core work on a budget.

Associate
Is there confirmation that Coffee lake will work on H110/Z170? Would be interesting if so as I have a 6700K myself!

Confirmation? Ahead of time? From Intel? Your asking a lot! I'm dealing in rumor and hearsay here. But there are quite a lot of fingers crossed. If they let 1151 die now there will be a lot of very unhappy Intel customers at a time when AMD is a very interesting and viable option so it would be a massive error in judgement... or that's what I'm hoping anyway!

Associate
Go with the Prentium setup, forget about the gfx card initially, only if the player complains about slow gfx etc you can then promise future upgrade for Xmas when gfx cards will be 66% of current prices.

Back
Top Bottom