Ultrawide monitors difference

Associate
Hi there
I'm really keen to get the DELL dw3418aw or the 3420aw.
But I've been told it might be a waste and I should instead go the MSI Optix MPG341CQR, which is about half price.
What are your thoughts?
I was thinking the dell as of build quality, 3-5 year warranty, I'm planning on having a 3080 in the future, or maybe a 2080ti in the interim, so gsynch is important, but appreciate thats not an issue with freesynch monitors?

Any thoughts?

Associate
You might consider the Samsung Odyssey G9 , super wide ( 5120 x 1440 ) 240 Hrz refresh . I got one just before Christmas and I love it . Great for work , and awesome to game on . I am using a RTX2080Ti and get around 110-120 FPS at highish settings in COD modern warfare multiplayer , but it is even better in driving games ( I play project cars )

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply!
its tempting, but I dont think I have the space in my office such a massive monitor, will have to do some measurements.
Another problem is, I dont have the PC yet, been holding out for a 3080 but dont see that happening anytime soon. Need to get a decent PC with a 2080ti whcih can be upgraded perhaps in a year or 2

Associate
You might consider the Samsung Odyssey G9 , super wide ( 5120 x 1440 ) 240 Hrz refresh . I got one just before Christmas and I love it . Great for work , and awesome to game on . I am using a RTX2080Ti and get around 110-120 FPS at highish settings in COD modern warfare multiplayer , but it is even better in driving games ( I play project cars )

hi, sorry to jump in, i currently have 2 dell 27in monitors side by side, effectively giving me a 49in 5120 * 1440 screen. Ive been thinking of swapping them for a either a super wide monitor or a "square" large tv. mainly to get rid of the bezel join in between the 2. As you use your superwide for work, how do you open programs, does one window try and fill the whole screen, or do you have to manually play with resizing windows to suit? and if you then shut a program and then reopen it, does it "remember" the way you left it sized? does the same hold true if youve restarted the pc?

Associate
hi, sorry to jump in, i currently have 2 dell 27in monitors side by side, effectively giving me a 49in 5120 * 1440 screen. Ive been thinking of swapping them for a either a super wide monitor or a "square" large tv. mainly to get rid of the bezel join in between the 2. As you use your superwide for work, how do you open programs, does one window try and fill the whole screen, or do you have to manually play with resizing windows to suit? and if you then shut a program and then reopen it, does it "remember" the way you left it sized? does the same hold true if youve restarted the pc?
Hi , in most cases , each app remembers its size and position even when restarted. I can usually get 3 slightly large windows or 4 slightly smaller . The curve is a big help too .

Associate
Thanks for your reply!
its tempting, but I don't think I have the space in my office such a massive monitor, will have to do some measurements.
Another problem is, I don't have the PC yet, been holding out for a 3080 but don't see that happening anytime soon. Need to get a decent PC with a 2080ti which can be upgraded perhaps in a year or 2
Monitors ACTUAL width is 45" and with the curve included is about 16" from the back of the stand to the furthest forward ( outside corners of monitor )

Associate
OP
Thanks, might need to do some measurements later on my corner desk, how close to the monitor are you normally?
Can I connect my laptop to this via usb c at all? I have a Dell Latitude 5400.

Finally, can anyone recommend a decent rig to power either a 34inch or this G9, ideally 2080ti with a view to upgrade to a 3080 in the future?

Associate
Thanks, might need to do some measurements later on my corner desk, how close to the monitor are you normally?
Can I connect my laptop to this via usb c at all? I have a Dell Latitude 5400.

Finally, can anyone recommend a decent rig to power either a 34inch or this G9, ideally 2080ti with a view to upgrade to a 3080 in the future?

I sit about 30"( just over 76cm) from monitor . I too have a corner desk which is 120cm wide , 120cm on longest side and 80cm on shortest side with semi circular cut out , which puts me about 110 cm from back corner . Monitor does not have a USBc port but you can get a converter to Display port and use one of the 2 available .
As for a rig I am running
Ryzen 9 3900XT
MSI X570 Unify MoBo
32GB of RAM @ 3600MHz
EVGA RTX 2080Ti
EVGA 1000W PSU ( VERY overkill)
2x Sabrient 1TB NVMe gen 4.0 drive ( will be raid 0 these soon )
CPU and GPU on custom water loop.
Runs monitor without breaking sweat CPU will hover around 55-65 Deg C , GPU around 40-45 Deg C while running COD Modern Warfare multiplayer at highish settings .

Associate
OP
Thanks, waiting on OC to come back on a recommended rig that can be upgraded later to a 3000 series, probably a year or 2. But good to know about the 2080ti being strong enough.
I'm mainly a civ, anno 1800, total war player, with the odd BF1/5 as well, so guessing something like this would be ideal, just need to check the space

Associate
OP
RcR1zqc

This is my corner right now, from the wall corner to the desk corner is 38inches
youn mentioned about 45inches width, so that takes up a fair amount of space here, if I put the screen here, allowing for 45 inches at the widest point, I would be sitting about 20-25 inches away, possibly too close me thinks?

Man of Honour
I have the AW3420DW and really love it. I've had it since they were first launched so I can't really comment on whether it's still worth getting or whether there are better monitors. But when I got it one of the considerations was the excellent Dell warranty. A few months after I got it I did have to use the warranty to replace it. Dell did so within a couple of days and completely hassle free. So a good warranty when spending this much on a monitor is worth considering.

Associate
OP
I'm thinking now between the Dell AW3821DW or the LG38WN95C. Hard as I realise the Dell seems to have better after sales and warranty, but the LG has HDR10.
Anyone has any experience with either?

Associate
RcR1zqc

This is my corner right now, from the wall corner to the desk corner is 38inches
youn mentioned about 45inches width, so that takes up a fair amount of space here, if I put the screen here, allowing for 45 inches at the widest point, I would be sitting about 20-25 inches away, possibly too close me thinks?
I think it may be abit too close , just measured as i am sitting here 20" is too close 25" is ok with space either side of monitor in your peripheral vision

Associate
I'm thinking now between the Dell AW3821DW or the LG38WN95C. Hard as I realise the Dell seems to have better after sales and warranty, but the LG has HDR10.
I have had 2 monitors with HDR10 . This G9 which is ok , but not amazing .
ROG SWIFT PG27UQ which was really good ( but needed to be at over £2000!).

Soldato
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...rved-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-04z-ao.html

This had a proper full array local dimming HDR implementation unlike the two you mentioned and at the price right now (£1000) it's definitely worth it over the other two monitors I think. Don't know why the price is this low right now. Similar monitors go for £1750.

Back
Top Bottom