Unable to access ssd.

Associate
I am unable to access the ssd on one of my systems. It was the os disk but i just want to re format it now to use in another system. The problem is the data is somehow in raw format and i cannot get it to format into ntfs. I have tried it on a couple of systems and in an external enclosure but no joy. I get reports saying i/o error but that is it. I am not bothered about any data on the disk i just want to be able to use it again. I would be grateful for any suggestions on what to do.

Associate
OP
I have tried disk part and no joy. I then downloaded parted magic to try a secure erase but when i click the secure erase option the disk does not come up so i can not do it. I have also tried to format with parted magic but this too fails due to an I/O error. I guess this mean the ssd is dead?

Associate
Try using gparted to see if you can just wipe the partition, and if that doesn't work then it's possible that there's a problem with a component on the SSD.

Edit: also try DBAN with the SSD being the only drive in the system and see if that can clear the problem before you write off the drive.

Associate
OP
I tried gparted and no luck. DBAN says its does not work on ssds so looks like the drive is dead. Thanks for the suggestions though its helped me discover some useful tools for future use so all is not lost.

Associate
OP
Just had a look at when i bought the SSD and it turns out its still in warranty so it looks like i can RMA it to crucial for replacement. Hopefully that does not take too long. Does anyone have any experience of crucial returns?

Associate
OP
Unluckily... Like you say, sounds like RMA time.

Good luck.

Let us know how you get on.

I emailed crucial with regards to warranty. They replied with some troubleshooting guides none of which worked so they told me to RMA it. They no longer make the MX100 256gb so they are replacing it with a MX300 275gb so i even get a bit of an upgrade. Very pleased with Crucials customer service.

Soldato
I emailed crucial with regards to warranty. They replied with some troubleshooting guides none of which worked so they told me to RMA it. They no longer make the MX100 256gb so they are replacing it with a MX300 275gb so i even get a bit of an upgrade. Very pleased with Crucials customer service.

Good news indeed. Newer drive and a bit more space as well. Win, win:)

Back
Top Bottom