Unable to game online with USB tethered 4G

Associate
I assume this only happens with arma? I'm just getting back into pc gaming, I use 4g too. I've only tried a wee game of battlefield so far, but that worked fine for me.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Well, Openreach engineer is hooking me up on the 9th, and that's only if there's a free fibre port in the local switch ( :rolleyes:!), so if that fails I'm looking at another two weeks wait until they then set me up on a standard (eugh) broadband connection. So basically I'd be looking at paying the 6.99.
Wish I only had two weeks to wait, I ordred fibre In November, if all goes well I show get fibre installed tomorrow.

Man of Honour
I assume this only happens with arma? I'm just getting back into pc gaming, I use 4g too. I've only tried a wee game of battlefield so far, but that worked fine for me.

Hit and miss in my experience - Steam can be a bit funny about it at times as well. I played BF4 a bit on 4G without issues but some other games were a bit of a pain or wouldn't work without a VPN.

Associate
OP
https://www.vyprvpn.com/

3 days free trial, £6.90 a month.

They allow port forwarding through their desktop app and I believe you can disable their NAT Firewall if needed (not recommended though).

EDIT:

No, you cannot port forward through the desktop app BUT they only block port 25 (emails, so not a problem).

You can disable their NAT firewall if you wish:

M2ulKD3.png

Hey mate, have just downloaded this, but it's not connecting. Any chance you could give me a step by step setup guide?

EDIT: I've downloaded it and it's running and connected on my OnePlus, but it wasn't connecting on my PC. Launched ArmA 3 to see and all I get when I try and host a game is;

nycj13.jpg

I'm also not seeing any servers in Steam or in-game.

Does it need to be running on both PC and phone?

EDIT 2: Just set my connection (on phone app) to Belgium, tried watching Belgian footie highlights to test, and it's telling me content is only viewable in Belgium :confused::(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
21od5dx.jpg

PC software does not connect. When I view list of countries, the pings don't even display for each country.

Android app connects.

When you say installed on PC, do you mean running as well as Android version? Because they are.

Soldato
Yes it is

Ok...

If running Windows 10...

Reset network adapters (assuming you have no complex setup?).

mkEaLL4.png

While that is doing, remove the VPN software from phone and reboot phone.

Before tethering, setup a different SSID.

The "auto" setting should just scan for available ports and use what it finds. Make sure Windows firewall is still disabled.

Associate
OP
I just watched a setup video on youtube for Vypr VPN and when he was selecting the country, they all had pings displayed. This is what my country selection screen looks like

2itr8no.jpg

Associate
OP
Ok...

If running Windows 10...

Reset network adapters (assuming you have no complex setup?).

mkEaLL4.png

While that is doing, remove the VPN software from phone and reboot phone.

Before tethering, setup a different SSID.

The "auto" setting should just scan for available ports and use what it finds. Make sure Windows firewall is still disabled.

So reset network adapters on PC (Windows 10, and not complex setup), and restart. While that's happening, disconnect phone from PC, delete VPN software from phone and reboot it. Then reinstall it and tether?

What's SSID and how does one do that? (Sorry for all the questions :( )

Soldato
I assume web browsing works on the PC still?

What error do you get on the client then when trying to connect to UK server?

Also, open a command prompt START> (type) CMD> Command Prompt

Type:
Code:
ping uk1.vpn.goldenfrog.com
- press enter.

Does it bring up something like this:

c1rPpiU.png

Back
Top Bottom