Unblocking outside drain

Soldato
Hi guys. I've got two outside drains at the rear of the house, and one of them that serves the bath and washing machine (and those of my upstairs neighbour) was badly blocked with water sitting over the drain. I've removed the drain cover and stuck a long screwdriver into it and broke up a ton of crap. With gloves on, I put my arm in and removed it all, loads of white clumps which stink as well. I located the side exit hole under the water and reached as far as I could in to break up more stuff and then the water level went down. It's better now but I think it needs to go down another couple of inches to match my other drain.

I've no idea how to improve it though. Any ideas? I was thinking of jetting water into that side hole under the water but my jetwasher won't be able to do that and I'm not sure my hose is powerful enough. I also lifted the lid for the large main sewerage drain and it looks clear but I think there's more stuff blocking where it seems to be inaccessible.

This is the clear drain that takes rainwater, and the waterline just over 4 inches down.
20220330-150250.jpg

This is the drain I just unblocked, waterline about 2 and a half inches down.
20220330-152151.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The stinking white clumps are old cooking fat/oil that some genius has been pouring down their kitchen sink.

I suggest going to your nearest hardware store, buying a set of drain rods and having a go yourself before calling out the drain jetters.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. I've edited my opening post with a couple of photos.

I was going to buy drain rods but I can't see how they would solve anything as there's nothing blocked vertically, I've removed everything until I felt a solid floor at the bottom. I'm thinking there's more stuff further in the side hole which I don't imagine drainage rods would fix unless they bend?

Associate
I've just had to face something similar.
I checked the main pipe from the man hole was clear with drain rods and it was.
Then I donned marigolds and removed all the solids by hand as far as I could upto the bend.Then I used a thin metal rod to poke round the bend ....a metal coat hanger would be ideal...and then blasted it with the pressure washer which completed the job.

Soldato
OP
One other thing to try, lots of washing up liquid (like a litre or so) then buckets of hot water

Yes, I'm in a hard water area. Fortunately the water level is now acceptable I think, but yes, hot water and fairy liquid sounds like a very good idea, I'll try that. Would pouring my 2 litre Tesco bottle of thick bleach help as well?

I've just had to face something similar.
I checked the main pipe from the man hole was clear with drain rods and it was.
Then I donned marigolds and removed all the solids by hand as far as I could upto the bend.Then I used a thin metal rod to poke round the bend ....a metal coat hanger would be ideal...and then blasted it with the pressure washer which completed the job.

Can you tell me which drain rods you bought? Would these be any good? I don't know if they're flexible though.
https://www.diy.com/departments/bailey-12-piece-drain-rod-set/5016729030490_BQ.prd

Did you get your jetwasher pointed into the bend?

Associate
Yes, I'm in a hard water area. Fortunately the water level is now acceptable I think, but yes, hot water and fairy liquid sounds like a very good idea, I'll try that. Would pouring my 2 litre Tesco bottle of thick bleach help as well?

Can you tell me which drain rods you bought? Would these be any good? I don't know if they're flexible though.
https://www.diy.com/departments/bailey-12-piece-drain-rod-set/5016729030490_BQ.prd

Did you get your jetwasher pointed into the bend?
I've got similar but they won't go round tight bends hence using something like a coat hanger.
Get the jet washer nozzle right in as far as possible using a narrow jet.....and stand back lol

Soldato
If our drain gets blocked, I tend to use the hosepipe on its strongest setting to try and clear it. I've also found using soda crystals or bleach is a cheap way to break down some of the blockage.

Failing that, something like Zep liquid heat drain unblocked will do the job.

Soldato
OP
I've got similar but they won't go round tight bends hence using something like a coat hanger.
Get the jet washer nozzle right in as far as possible using a narrow jet.....and stand back lol

My red vileda mop bucket just fell apart today, became so brittle it was breaking off into pieces like brandy snaps, lol. But I've kept the thin metal handle as it's bendable and will probably work like a coat hanger. Yes, with the drain being such a small square area, there won't be much wiggle room for the pressure washer, I'll just be able to point the nozzle at the entrance to the exit hole and then I'll do as you suggest, stand well back!

Is there a man hole cover nearby?

Not sure flats count but shared drains are owned by the water board IIRC.

Yep, I lifted the manhole cover in my garden which is a just a few feet from both drains and it's clear. Interesting though if it's owned by the water board. I wonder if there's any chance of them inspecting and cleaning for free?

If our drain gets blocked, I tend to use the hosepipe on its strongest setting to try and clear it. I've also found using soda crystals or bleach is a cheap way to break down some of the blockage.

Failing that, something like Zep liquid heat drain unblocked will do the job.

I'll also give the hosepipe a try along with the pressure washer. I'll also pour down a large bottle of bleach and hot water. I'd not heard of Zep liquid heat drain, but I see it has excellent reviews. I can get it from Toolstation, 1 litre for £10.48. Is that how much I'd need?

Associate
Are you in a hard water area and is someone using calgon?
Ive seen this happen, it comes off in flakes and can be too heavy to clear well once the water is out of the smaller diameter pipe from the washing machine

That doesnt look like fat to me

Absolutely no expert but agree, it looks like something else? Never knew about the Calgon issue though (never tried the stuff as I think white goods lifespan is far shorter nowadays so a false economy).

I would try hot water, loads of bleach etc.

Soldato
OP
If you have a karcher pressure washer you can also get an attachment to unblock drains

I have a Nilfisk. I'll see if they do a similar attachment.

Absolutely no expert but agree, it looks like something else? Never knew about the Calgon issue though (never tried the stuff as I think white goods lifespan is far shorter nowadays so a false economy).

I would try hot water, loads of bleach etc.

I've got the white gungy stuff in a black bag. I'll take a photo of it tomorrow. Looks like chunky white vomit and smells just like poo. Mmm, nice. :) But it's not poo thank god!

Back
Top Bottom