Unboxing a new old Windows 98 PC

Soldato
OP
@Ninco! I hope the Thinkcentre works out a bit better - if not, I'd just cobble together any old S775 system from eBay and stick XP on that, which I did for my main XP system a few years back.

The white cabinets are old IKEA desk legs. They had a removable shelf halfway up but they're also a perfect fit f or a desktop PC :D IKEA don't do them anymore, I think the closest you can get is a "table leg" cabinet thing with a door on that that you could just leave aside, although they're more expensive than my shelf things were.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/table-tops-legs/alex-storage-unit-white-art-60192826/

Associate
@Ninco! I hope the Thinkcentre works out a bit better - if not, I'd just cobble together any old S775 system from eBay and stick XP on that, which I did for my main XP system a few years back.

The white cabinets are old IKEA desk legs. They had a removable shelf halfway up but they're also a perfect fit f or a desktop PC :D IKEA don't do them anymore, I think the closest you can get is a "table leg" cabinet thing with a door on that that you could just leave aside, although they're more expensive than my shelf things were.

Thanks Stew. I will pick up one of those cabinets as it will fit the bill.
I will post my M81 escapades in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it will work (bloody well hope so as I have picked up a graphics/sound card) and last longer than the Dell, which I got working sweet only to pack up. :mad:

Associate
Great find!
I remember my first pc, me and my grandad built it. a pentium 90 cpu (he was running a 133mhz i think at the time) with a 3.2 gig hard drive which cost £120, this was massive at the time as we had planned for a 2.66 gig i think but they were out of stock, so he split the difference with me. good times.

Associate
That's so frickin cool. Totally useless mind you, but so frickin cool. To find one unopened too is very unusual. Have you figured out what you're going to do with it?

Associate
This is almost identical to my first ever pc. I think mine only had a 333mhz processor though. Had it for years until upgrading to a amd 3 ghz Barton series.

Soldato
OP
I've actually got this up and running again this week. I've put in a CF card to at least remove one of the many loud noises it makes and preserve its original, bloated OEM installation.

I'm going to try out some older graphics cards (8mb "Rage Xpert 98" which is a Rage Pro Turbo AGPx2, comparing it to my newly aquired ELSA Gloria Synergy 4/8mb) and use it as a home for my mystery ISA soundcard too.

Associate
Excellent find, its amazing what can turn up on ebay. Collection only auctions are pretty good if there in your area because nobody else bids or very few and you get them for cheap. I've been doing the same as you seeing what gems I can find on ebay.

To find a boxed new vintage PC is pretty good going.

Soldato
OP
Well the motherboard cpu and ram just sold on ebay so that's the end of the tiny pc! I've kept the case and drives. I just didn't need another slot 1 setup, especially one that is slower, louder than what I've already got, and doesn't like CF cards!

I'm not a "collector" who will put it in a cupboard and store it. Hopefully someone else enjoys it this way.

Back
Top Bottom