Uni is no good, what else could i do?

Associate
Just be careful education can be a deep neverending hole :O. I went to uni cause I couldnt be bothered to get a job, then stayed todo a masters for the same reason, now im doing a PhD :). Atleast I mixed it up a bit, none of the degrees are at all related lol. Everyone has a degree these days, my advice if you are going to uni stay on to post graduate level, its a completely different experience, much more rewarding than 'crappy' undergrad.

Associate
Sounds like what i was like, uni was a major shock although i knew it would be, if i could go back i would have also left after 2nd year and gone back to complete as a mature student.

I cruised through school, spending about a week or so before exams and learning from worked solutions. I got enough B's to get to uni.

It's never too late to train, you maybe need to get rid of classing yourself into an age bracket as at the end of the day if you started work as an electrician who would know that your hadn't been doing it since you were 16, how about off-shore oil jobs, lots of work abroad if you get trained up.

I messed about through GCSE, Alevels and my first year of uni (mech eng).

I failed 1st year and the uni permitted me to swap to manufacturing eng to start all over again.
I got the kick up the ass I needed and passed 2nd year with 76% (1st class) and an award for the best 2nd year Beng student on any of the uni's manufacturing courses.

As I said, I got the kick up the ass I needed, and now I achieve, rather than aiming to pass. I work very very hard and go mad at my groups in group labs/projects (unfortunately we are not usually allowed to choose our groups) if the group members are lazy and mess about.

I'd be embarrassed to show a cv with a 3rd on it personally.

At loughborough uni, the current engineering 1st years are affected by a new rule.

If you get a 3rd, you do not get honours, just a pass - So your 3rd is work nothing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have coasted my entire education

I would quit uni in an instance if i had a career path to go into, however i just don't know any that would offer possiblitys that the likes of graduate schemes are able to offer.

I think you need to accept that these possibilities are for a certain type of person - and thats not you. Sure, it would be great if you could have them but you'll be beaten to them by people who bothered at school.

It's like me saying I wish I could be an airline pilot - its not going to happen, I'm not good enough, time to get over it.

The Forces seems like a good opportunity, I'd go with it. In the forces your progression is less about your pure intelligent/academic ability and more about your all round ability.

Associate
Just be careful education can be a deep neverending hole :O. I went to uni cause I couldnt be bothered to get a job, then stayed todo a masters for the same reason, now im doing a PhD :). Atleast I mixed it up a bit, none of the degrees are at all related lol. Everyone has a degree these days, my advice if you are going to uni stay on to post graduate level, its a completely different experience, much more rewarding than 'crappy' undergrad.
Out of interest, what were your undergrad and masters and now PDH?

Soldato
I was like this as well - still am to some extent.
I was always academic at school and was able to get away with decent marks without putting too much effort in.
I got in to a decent uni and that plan wasn't going to work anymore, but I still carried on down that route. I could just sit there in my room for hours on end staring at the wall or something rather than doing work.

In the end I found a way that sort of worked for me, and that was to work with other people. Go down to the library together, ask each other questions, discuss topics etc.
Working on my own I just got absolutely nothing done, but working with others I was much more productive.
I discovered this a little too late to really help me though and came out with a 2.2.

Since then I've found that I really get on with the office environment, a dedicated place to work with people that you can bat ideas off and discuss concepts and problems really works for me and I get so much more done in that sort of environment it's untrue. Even nowadays I struggle to get motivation when working from home though.

Make sure you talk to your lecturers as well, they can be a big help. It was something I never did. I was always the guy who turned up for lectures and then disappeared until the next lecture (or sometimes the lecture 3 or 4 afterwards :o) Other than a few problem classes I don't think I ever actually spoke to any of my lecturers during the whole 3 years and it's something I reckon really would have helped.

Soldato
You do realise that if you can't bring yourself to work hard you aren't going to succeed at anything?

I know that it sounds harsh; I was just like you through school, coasted by on my "natural intelligence" and ended up with straight As at A-Level, went into uni and slacked to a good 2.1, then got into the world of work and had a bit of a shock! Whatever you end up doing, whether it's uni or an apprenticeship or a straight up job, you will need to learn to work. It's taken me a year to get the hang of it, but I'm finally getting there!

If I were you, I wouldn't give up on uni. You're only at the start of your 2nd year, and (I assume?) that your first didn't count towards your final degree. If the sole problem is that you can't work properly, you may as well learn to work at uni where it doesn't really matter than in a job where it might.

Last edited:
Associate
I really know where your coming from, i think it does hit everyone who passes through Uni straight from school at some stage. The point is you still have time to get your head in gear! My advice get your ass down to the library for at least 1 to 2 hours a day. Dont allow yourself to play games if you dont. Eventually you will be able to do your work from your home where the distractions would normally do just that and distract you. At the moment im really struggling to get my mark up due to one shi**** mark in a essay. Push through it and dont let college and the money you have invested go to waste. !

Right off to revise this AGAIN for tommorow :p wish me luck

Soldato
At the end of the day, even if you don't like uni, if you have nothing else to do and no idea what to do, there is no point leaving.

I left because I knew where I wanted to be

Soldato
Without trying to sound rude, you do realise that you'll have to work hard in what ever you choose to do? (Ugh, slow posting ftl - beaten to it above)

Being an electrician isn't all it's hyped up to be imo. You'll still have to work hard too.

Back
Top Bottom