**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Sgarrista
Commissario
I don't want to change either at this moment. If I did it would be new PS4s on the rear.

I literally just wanted to know if anyone knew how the newer versions compared.

In regards to my poop comment, I'm finding there is a lack of grip from my front PS4s... But that may just be the fact I'm trying to put 300+ through the front wheels.

Ehh its an UHP summer tyre, if youre giving it full beans in these temps and conditions then not surprising really.

Soldato
You can’t get a tyre that will put down 300bhp on a FWD car in the winter session. If you want to get that kind of power down you need to swap to a 4WD car.

A better tyre than PS4 would be PS4S and Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports.
Not even a dedicated winter tyre? I don't expect to get the power down, but I do expect to be able to go around corners at a reasonable pace without nearly sliding off the road lol

Soldato
I literally just wanted to know if anyone knew how the newer versions compared.
Then why didn't you ask "Does anyone have any experience of how the new RS5 compares to the old RS3?"...? That would more likely have got you the answer you wanted. You asked the wrong question.

In regards to my poop comment, I'm finding there is a lack of grip from my front PS4s... But that may just be the fact I'm trying to put 300+ through the front wheels.
I suspect it's more down to your driving style. I've got PS4S, which is for the most part a very similar tyre, on the M3 and I don't find myself "nearly sliding off the road" at any corner.

If you cannot adequately modulate your thottle input and speed to drive appropriately for the prevailing conditions there is no tyre that will compensate for that.
One that fits under your throttle pedal
:D

Soldato
Then why didn't you ask "Does anyone have any experience of how the new RS5 compares to the old RS3?"...? That would more likely have got you the answer you wanted. You asked the wrong question.

I suspect it's more down to your driving style. I've got PS4S, which is for the most part a very similar tyre, on the M3 and I don't find myself "nearly sliding off the road" at any corner.

If you cannot adequately modulate your thottle input and speed to drive appropriately for the prevailing conditions there is no tyre that will compensate for that.

:D
Post 4651.

I asked that question then had the numpties jump at me because I might want to use something that's not PS4 or other fav tyre.

Bored of this now.

Soldato
Post 4651.

I asked that question then had the numpties jump at me because I might want to use something that's not PS4 or other fav tyre.

Bored of this now.

If you are sliding about have you had the wheel alignment checked ? My wife’s car is very sensitive to this it was feeling a little off in the corners and getting the alignment back in spec sorted it. It gets knocked out easily so I try and get it checked every 6 months or so.

Her car has crap Pirelli tyres on it and I can still keep a good pace down a back road in these months but will still light up the traction control up to 4th or 5th gear if you are ham fisted with the throttle.

Soldato
If you are sliding about have you had the wheel alignment checked ? My wife’s car is very sensitive to this it was feeling a little off in the corners and getting the alignment back in spec sorted it. It gets knocked out easily so I try and get it checked every 6 months or so.

Her car has crap Pirelli tyres on it and I can still keep a good pace down a back road in these months but will still light up the traction control up to 4th or 5th gear if you are ham fisted with the throttle.
Could be out, i have hit a few largish pot holes recently.

Ill pop it down to local Hunter guys in the new year. see what they say

Man of Honour
Are there any regular Boxing Day sales for tyres at any of the usual places? I need a full set soon-ish and don't want to miss any discounts.

I currently run Pirelli Scorpion Verde 265/45/20 on a Mercedes R350, which are adequate and haven't given me cause for concern. But on such a heavy car they don't last very long. In this size I can't see much new other than Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV. The Pirellis are an old tyre so I figure the Michelin PS4 will outperform them in all aspects, and hopefully in longevity. Can anyone vouch?

Associate
Can Motors please spec me a tyre:-

BMW 1 Series w/ Front size 225/40/R18 & Rear 235/35/R18.

The Bridgestone Potenza's from factory have done extremely well as there is still a good 2mm of tread left above the depth indicators but at 35,000 miles done I am starting to think the tyre will age out before the tread does.

TIA

Shawrey

Bump

TIA

Shawrey

Soldato
You could potentially swap the rear tyre size to 235/40, which I think I'll do on my car. This would open up cheaper tyres and correct the speedometer under reading on my car at least.

Soldato
Post 4651.

Bored of this now.

I mean people are only saying this because the PS4 is pretty much the best tyre there is at the moment.

If you're calling them poop, then it is natural to find out why the best isn't good enough for you. This will inevitably lead to people questioning your driving/your expectations/your alignment etc.

IMO, I think your issue is with unrealistic expectations from tyres fitted to a hamfisted Mazda turbo car clumsily dumping 300bhp through the front wheels in 6-7c, salt covered, damp roads.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean people are only saying this because the PS4 is pretty much the best tyre there is at the moment.
Sorry to split hairs, but it's the PS4S that's considered pretty much the best ATM not the PS4, different tyres. The PS4S is the successor to the Pilot Super Sport (yes it would have made much more sense to call it the PSS2) whereas the standard PS4 is just the successor to the Pilot Sport 3, and trades blows with the Premium Contact 6 or the Eagle F1A5 depending on the test.

Associate
I need to replace all four tyres on my wife's BMW 340.

It currently is shod with front 225/40 R19 Y and rear 255/35 R19 Y Bridgestone Potenza S001. BMW want £928.48 to replace them with the same tyre.

I was thinking about dumping the runflats and going for
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 225/40 R19 Y (93) &
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 255/35 R19 Y (96)

Both reinforced..

Which works out about £680 fitted. Anyone running similar setups? Thanks ~ Si

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anyone running similar setups?
yes. running the exact setup on my car
also came from the oem s001 runflats

grip is improved (obviously)
i personally found the ps4s to be noisier though, especially on the motorway where some stretches have really crappy tarmac...the noise can sometimes be really really loud

Soldato
Anyone running similar setups? Thanks ~ Si
I'm also running something similar, went from OEM Bridgestone Potenza to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S in the exact same sizes/ratings as you. As with the guy above I noticed the improved grip albeit I did't find the noise change that noticeable (would probably be more pronounced with the radio off though). One other thing that may be worth noting is that the rubber lip is smaller.

Associate
Fitted the Goodyear F1 AS3s in the rear a couple of weeks back, and they feel good. So much more comfortable. Only downside is a bit of spin when going from a standing start on full throttle. I also need to change the fronts to non-RFTs as the car is a bit bouncy due to the fronts being so harsh and the rears being so soft in comparison.

I also bought 4 Avon ZV7s for my Fabia to be fitted next week, due to a good promotion on them. Seem to be decent tyres, definitely suited to an A to B low powered hatchback.

Will have to wait till next payday to change the fronts on the BMW, but will hopefully result in the car feeling much better.

Back
Top Bottom