**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Caporegime
Tread design has a massive impact in how much water a tyre can shift so you dont aquaplane. Obviously summer tyres dont have as many/good treads as all seasons have for shifting water.

Depth of tread is also a massive factor so perhaps an all season tyre almost to minimum legal limit might not be as good as a brand new premium summer tyre.

Ideally a tyre well designed for the wet will "cut" through the water like you say. Water being pushed in front of the tyre is what eventually leads to aquaplaning when you are going fast enough.

Soldato
Michelin CC2 aquaplaning speed is just over 92kph (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm)
Michelin PS4S aquaplaning speed is just over 78kph (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm)

Both pretty impressive, but look how the best UHP summer tyre compares to the best all season tyre in dry braking:
Michelin CC2 - 37m (100kph-5kph)
Michelin PS4S - 33.5m (100kph-1kph)

Wet braking sends the results in the opposite direction (although the all season is still being tested to 5kph instead of 1kph).

Given where I live we have on average twice as many dry days than wet days in the UK I know which tyres I'd rather have on the car.

Caporegime
Michelin CC2 aquaplaning speed is just over 92kph (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm)
Michelin PS4S aquaplaning speed is just over 78kph (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm)

Both pretty impressive, but look how the best UHP summer tyre compares to the best all season tyre in dry braking:
Michelin CC2 - 37m (100kph-5kph)
Michelin PS4S - 33.5m (100kph-1kph)

Wet braking sends the results in the opposite direction (although the all season is still being tested to 5kph instead of 1kph).

Given where I live we have on average twice as many dry days than wet days in the UK I know which tyres I'd rather have on the car.

Where i live it rains for 173 days per year. Even June is 16 days of rainfall on average. And more to the point the average max daily temp is below 7c for 4/5 months of the year as well.

Difference between summer and winter is just how much rain. Its barely showers in summer and the roads burn off quickly. But thats why the best of both worlds is PS4S in summer and either cross climates or winter tyres in autumn winter.

If you have to just have one tyre all year round, with more days being wet and very wet in autumn/winter/spring plus sub 7c temps for 4 months solid, better to have cross climates 2 on all year round

Permabanned
i see Jon over on Tyre Reviews has updated his website about the Cross Climate 2's

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Michelin/CrossClimate-2.htm

looks like you can buy them in the UK now, but the downside is only available in 19"and 20" sizes

defiantly worth a watch !
cant wait for his next all season tyre test at the end of the year

Michelin CrossClimate 2 were launched in September.
Reviews:

"The Michelin CrossClimate 2 is a worthy upgrade on the original CrossClimate+. It improves the outgoing tyres grip in nearly all conditions, it makes a significant step forward in the snow, and has significantly lower rolling resistance.

All in all, the CrossClimate 2 is a very impressive all season tyre."
Michelin CrossClimate 2 - Tyre Reviews and Tests
Michelin CrossClimate 2 VS Michelin CrossClimate - Tyre Reviews and Tests

• Better performance than standard all-season tires
  • Short braking distance on both wet and dry surfaces
  • Great performance on wet, dry and snowy roads
  • Responsive ride and steering control
  • Quiet and comfortable ride
Michelin CrossClimate 2 Tire Review | CarShtuff

Anyone impressions on the CrossClimate 2?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have 30k on a set of Cross Climate+ and getting ready to change them for winter as two are getting quite low, sub 3mm.

I’ve rotated them front to back every 6 months. Maybe I could have got a little longer from them if I had done them side to side too, but difficult to do that on the drive.

They don’t do CC2 in my size so will be buying the same again. For a normal non performance car they have been great in all conditions and not noticed the grip drop off, certainly Michelin say they are as good at 4mm as they are at new.

Coming back from Glasgow in some mega rain and standing water at the start of the month I was driving sensibly and never noticed any loss of traction or aqua planing. In fresh snow and slush they have been excellent, on hard packed snow/ice, well they didn’t grip much but that’s to be expected.

Permabanned
I have 30k on a set of Cross Climate+ and getting ready to change them for winter as two are getting quite low, sub 3mm.

I’ve rotated them front to back every 6 months. Maybe I could have got a little longer from them if I had done them side to side too, but difficult to do that on the drive.

They don’t do CC2 in my size so will be buying the same again. For a normal non performance car they have been great in all conditions and not noticed the grip drop off, certainly Michelin say they are as good at 4mm as they are at new.

Coming back from Glasgow in some mega rain and standing water at the start of the month I was driving sensibly and never noticed any loss of traction or aqua planing. In fresh snow and slush they have been excellent, on hard packed snow/ice, well they didn’t grip much but that’s to be expected.

What size?
Can't you just swap your old rims for new ones that fit the available sizes?
The CC2 is much better overall.

Associate
Looking for some tyre advice..

Back in September I recently got an Audi A3 quattro which had brand new tyres (225 40 R18 Y) put on at purchase by Audi, these are Continental ContiSportContact 5P (AO1), I've only done about 2000 miles on them, so far they feel pretty good in the wet and dry.

Now the advice I'm looking for kinda comes in two parts:

1) I'm pretty sure these will be fine for the winter unless we have an artic blast that lasts for weeks on end (I live near Andover), however I know these are summer tyres so would have to be careful with them, would anyone disagree? I have read up about this '7 degree rule' but on average I don't think temps get that low where I am.
2) I'm planning on driving down to the south of France to see family the week after Christmas, they are not too far from Limoges which is sort of central southern France and so no where near the Alps. I'm just wondering if it is worth me switching over to some all season tyres and store the summer tyres?

I've only ever driven to France mid-summer, I'm expecting it to be colder in France late December but to be honest not too dissimilar to southern England.

Am I simply overthinking it and it's much to do about nothing or worth swapping the tyres over for something like the Michelin CrossClimate 2's?

Permabanned
Well, I would just remove these some tyres and put the CC2.

I don't think you can rely on those tyres in December, January and February, and hope that it won't get too cold or icy on the roads.

I also think the CC2 are better under full wet conditions.

Soldato
Well, I would just remove these some tyres and put the CC2.

I don't think you can rely on those tyres in December, January and February, and hope that it won't get too cold or icy on the roads.

I also think the CC2 are better under full wet conditions.

Just use the summer tyres.

Do you own any, what tyres do you have to compare to, what car are they fitted to or are you just parroting the internet?

Soldato
Replace all four. Do it properly.

You'll wish you'd changed all 4 when your wet weather turn in is massively improved with your nice new AS5s but the back end can't match it and gives up :p

Just an update…

Having Goodyear Eagle F1 AS5s fitted on Saturday.

It was meant to be the Friday just gone however the delivery was delayed so I had to reschedule the fitting appointment, communication was great from Blackcircles and I was sent a partial refund of £20 for the inconvenience without even asking!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Just an update…

Having Goodyear Eagle F1 AS5s fitted on Saturday.

It was meant to be the Friday just gone however the delivery was delayed so I had to reschedule the fitting appointment, communication was great from Blackcircles and I was sent a partial refund of £20 for the inconvenience without even asking!
Great! They're an excellent tyre; you've done the right thing :p

Man of Honour
Those are the aggregate user ratings.
Of which the Cc2 only has 12. Compared to the Cc+ 90 and the og Cc 130 reviews. Easily skewed...

Permabanned
The original CrossClimate is indeed weak on icy roads and slush. As these "aggregate" scores confirm.

I have just ordered the CC2 and will come to me mid next week.

Will test and report, upgrading from 5-year-old original CC.

Soldato
The CrossClimate 2 is so much better :eek: It is crazy. Why didn't they make the original CrossClimate so good?
Well if they made the originals that good they wouldn't be able to upsell you to the 2 now.

What's worse is rumour has it they're still holding back on the performance so they can release the CC3 and CC4 in the future.

Permabanned
Well if they made the originals that good they wouldn't be able to upsell you to the 2 now.

Continental, for example, doesn't recommend all season tyres in any conditions.

But where I live, all season tyres are essential because in March it is possible that high in the mountain it is snowy, while at lower places it can be warm and sunny.
Neither a winter nor a summer tyre will cope in those conditions.

This is why the CrossClimate was chosen and as the best or one of the best solutions for a wider range of road conditions.

They are not bad, actually have pretty good grip in fresh snow.

But I read now that the CC2 is a product of multi-year technology advancements and heavy prolonged road tests.
So, I am happy that will have the chance to use 4 new fresh tyres that will give me more confidence on the roads.

What's worse is rumour has it they're still holding back on the performance so they can release the CC3 and CC4 in the future.

:cry:

If the CC2 turns out to be perfect, then CC3 and |CC4 might become already obsolete.

Back
Top Bottom