• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 5 Pathtracing

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This isn't even close to being optimized, so don't base your expectations of what UE5 will be capable of in future games on what this demo is - heck, even the console versions (which were heavily optimized to the respective hardware) run at sub-30 fps. It's a fun glimpse of the future, but how close we are to actual games of this fidelity won't be apparent for a while yet.
My thoughts too. That is a demo. Some people talking about 32gb not enough anymore :cry:

We probably won’t start seeing triple a proper games coming out using that engine for another 3-4 years.

Soldato
Tried that matrix awakens demo. It works for me but gives warning im out of vram by 2.5gig so its very slow. Also task manager shows 3d usage to be low in single digit percentage but copy function is at 50 percent.
Doesnt make sense...
Taskmanager shows 12.5gig total ram usage. 1080p on a t600

Associate
Just saw a post on Nvidia reddit that someone managed ran City Sample on RTX 3080 and 16GB RAM but get 10-20 fps while RAM at 100% usage. So RTX 3060 Ti probably get 5-10 fps run like slideshow on 16GB RAM. :(

City Sample absolutely need 32GB RAM minimum to run at playable fps.

Plays fine at 1080p once the assets have streamed but fast flying/driving kills it again.

Caporegime

Decent insight.

Seems global illumination is killing the fps, suspect once GPU optimisation is properly implemented and made to use nvidias tensor cores, we'll see a substantial lead with ampere over rdna 2.

Shame that TSR is lacking too but at least we should still get the choice to use dlss with UE 5 games.

One thing is for sure, turning the GI down makes the game look awful, ps 4 like :o

Either way, by the time UE 5 games come out, we'll have far better pc hardware anyway.

Caporegime
Seems global illumination is killing the fps, suspect once GPU optimisation is properly implemented and made to use nvidias tensor cores, we'll see a substantial lead with ampere over rdna 2.

I'm interested in that too, as it looks like overall the 6800XT has a v slight lead atm :)

And agree about GI, I wouldn't like to turn it down it looks absolutely stunning with it!

Associate
I've watched several videos of the matrix demo and it just isn't impressive at all.

The one that was impressive was the tomb raider/uncharted looking one that they showed running on PS5.

Would love to see that running on a high end PC.

Man of Honour
I've watched several videos of the matrix demo and it just isn't impressive at all.

I don't find it that impressive, certain features aside, visually it relies a lot on the colour grading/filter and certain rendering tricks to try and trick the eye rather than the level of fidelity of the render - I see a lot of repeated patterns, textures which lack real detail, etc. etc. lots of trying to trick you into seeing something which doesn't really work once you start noticing how it is done.

Ultimately gives it an empty and soulless feel - though that might somewhat fit with the Matrix setting.

Soldato
My thoughts too. That is a demo. Some people talking about 32gb not enough anymore :cry:

Over the last week I was read posts on forums and reddits from games developers, designers and artists said their PCs they worked on projects of very high resolution assets, models and textures used 64GB RAM told everyone 32GB RAM will not be enough soon when next generation Unreal Engine 5 and other engines games will ship. In the next few years they will upgrade from 64GB to 128GB RAM to work on much massive assets, models and textures when 64GB will not be enough to handle it. All these massive 128GB RAM assets, models and textures will be use in future games projects for Playstation 6 console, RTX 6000 series GPUs etc in 2026. Next generation flagship RDNA3 GPU will have massive 32GB VRAM instead of 16GB VRAM and RTX 4080 will have massive 20GB VRAM instead of 10/12GB VRAM. Playstation 5 Pro expected to launch in 2023 will likely to have VRAM doubled to 32GB.

We probably won’t start seeing triple a proper games coming out using that engine for another 3-4 years.

I dont know where your idea of another 3-4 years came from but that is far too long to wait. Unreal Engine 5 was launched just last week when it left beta, we will see some Unreal Engine 5 games launch in 2022 like Ark II, Redfall and probably The Callisto Protocol. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl was scheduled to launched this month in April 2022 but it was delayed to 8 December 2022 due to war in Ukraine. I remembered played the first Unreal Engine 4 game Daylight after when Unreal Engine 4 was launched back in 2014.

Games developers probably have over 100 Unreal Engine 5 games in developments right now. About 25 Unreal Engine 5 games announced will ship in the next few years. Cant wait to play Unreal Engine 5 games like Tomb Raider, The Witcher, Vigilance 2099, Wronged Us, Project RYU, Shadow of Conspiracy: Section 2, Rooted, ILL, Hell Is Us, The Callisto Protocol, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_5

Soldato
This isn't even close to being optimized, so don't base your expectations of what UE5 will be capable of in future games on what this demo is - heck, even the console versions (which were heavily optimized to the respective hardware) run at sub-30 fps. It's a fun glimpse of the future, but how close we are to actual games of this fidelity won't be apparent for a while yet.

Sadly just about every games shipped always broken on released day for PC and consoles are often not even close to being optimised, people should base expectations of what Unreal Engine 5 will be capable of in future games on demo that was the same thing happened to Unreal Engine 4 when it was released back in 2014. I played the first Unreal Engine 4 game Daylight, it was not optimised so I managed to get it ran fine with all graphics at maxed 1080p less than 60 fps on GTX 670 4GB, i7 3700K, 16GB RAM and many other people less powerful PCs with 8GB RAM struggled to run it. My old GTX 970 was struggled to run WatchDogs, DOOM 2016 and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux as the graphics was very demanded and still not optimised. The same thing happened in 2017 my old GTX 1070 struggled to run Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice very heavy demanded maxed graphics in many areas when it was still not optimised then in 2021 developer Ninja Theory released new patch added ray tracing and DLSS support. My 8700K, 32GB RAM and RTX 3080 struggled to run with maxed ray tracing but managed to run fine with both ray tracing and DLSS, was read many reports many other PCs with 16GB RAM brought RTX 3080 to the knee. The Medium back in 2021 was really amazing game that my RTX 3080 was struggled to run at maxed ray tracing. The last Unreal Engine 4 game I played in 2022 was Martha is Dead, the graphics was really very incredible and brutal demanded, all assets are very impressive detailed brought my RTX 3080 to the knee in many areas while it still not optimised.

Unreal Engine 5 City Sample demo was incredible, I found similar games like Project RYU that will be based on idea borrowed from City Sample demo. Project RYU has really absolutely mind blow stunning incredible graphics with massive world of assets details. Really very exciting cant wait to play Project RYU in a year or few years, hopefully it will have english subtitles, will absolutely love to have long walk or drive around massive beautiful Korea city.

Guess I will need RTX 4080 and 64GB RAM to play this Project RYU game on day of release date to run it at maxed graphics settings at 1080p 60 fps.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Over the last week I was read posts on forums and reddits from games developers, designers and artists said their PCs they worked on projects of very high resolution assets, models and textures used 64GB RAM told everyone 32GB RAM will not be enough soon when next generation Unreal Engine 5 and other engines games will ship. In the next few years they will upgrade from 64GB to 128GB RAM to work on much massive assets, models and textures when 64GB will not be enough to handle it. All these massive 128GB RAM assets, models and textures will be use in future games projects for Playstation 6 console, RTX 6000 series GPUs etc in 2026. Next generation flagship RDNA3 GPU will have massive 32GB VRAM instead of 16GB VRAM and RTX 4080 will have massive 20GB VRAM instead of 10/12GB VRAM. Playstation 5 Pro expected to launch in 2023 will likely to have VRAM doubled to 32GB.

I dont know where your idea of another 3-4 years came from but that is far too long to wait. Unreal Engine 5 was launched just last week when it left beta, we will see some Unreal Engine 5 games launch in 2022 like Ark II, Redfall and probably The Callisto Protocol. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl was scheduled to launched this month in April 2022 but it was delayed to 8 December 2022 due to war in Ukraine. I remembered played the first Unreal Engine 4 game Daylight after when Unreal Engine 4 was launched back in 2014.

Games developers probably have over 100 Unreal Engine 5 games in developments right now. About 25 Unreal Engine 5 games announced will ship in the next few years. Cant wait to play Unreal Engine 5 games like Tomb Raider, The Witcher, Vigilance 2099, Wronged Us, Project RYU, Shadow of Conspiracy: Section 2, Rooted, ILL, Hell Is Us, The Callisto Protocol, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_5
We will see I guess. I think that number is based on people using up a load already by leaving browser with tons of tabs etc. I don’t do that and just can’t see 32GB being an issue for another 4-5 years. So far only one game I have just about goes over 16GB and that is MS Flight Simulator.

As for my timeframe, I was talking about triple a games built from the ground up using UE5. I can’t see how that would be the case for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 but could be wrong. To give an example I mean games like next Tomb Raider and Witcher 4. Those games typically take no less than 4 years to develop and since the engine has not been around for long I made a guess. Not sure how long it was in beta and if devs been using it for years for example.

Soldato

I highly doubt 32GB won't be enough, that will be silly. There was really nothing stopping those devs to make high quality assets right now or push the boundaries when it comes to graphics, hardly happens, although the PC hardware was waaaay ahead of what last gen consoles could do. They will always target the masses and those masses have rather low-mid end stuff.
What they use for their workstations is different than what we use to game.

Caporegime

Decent analysis there.

RuBip9F.png

Seems AMD has a problem with rendering RT in this too. This isn't the first time it has been noted, in bang4bucks comparisons, you can see quite a few issues where AMD don't render RT reflections etc. correctly. Are amd aware of this @LtMatt ? Hopefully just a driver issue but kind of makes you wonder if they aren't rendering RT properly in games, when/if they do fix this issue, just how much more of a performance hit will RDNA 2 take after it's fixed? Or perhaps, performance could improve with a fix....

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I thought it had been confirmed that AMD were taking shortcuts with RT in FC6?

Or was that just suggested rather than proven?

If so, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to think it’d be the same across the board with their RT implementation.

Caporegime
I thought it had been confirmed that AMD were taking shortcuts with RT in FC6?

Or was that just suggested rather than proven?

If so, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to think it’d be the same across the board with their RT implementation.

Nah this is different to amd sponsored titles using lesser RT effects.

Amd seem to have a problem where RT effects aren't being properly rendered e.g.

jY3MGGB.png

And some of the comments mentioned it too:

i noticed some quality differences in bright memory benchmark at 0:49 (no light of boots reflected), 0:53 (no light of character reflected), 1:01 (no depth of field), you will see more related to it in the rest of the benchmark in the AMD card. Looks like the RT cores on the AMD card is not handling well the RT effects. I saw similar behavior in Watch Dogs Legion.

Unless this is intentional by AMD.....

Back
Top Bottom