Unsure as to what to do next... help?

Associate
Hey folks,

I'm currently employed in a substantive post with an IT consultancy firm, on a fairly good wage, but I feel it just isn't busy enough. I've been here about 5 months now and in that time I've only done ~3 jobs for various clients. When it has been quiet, I've been cracking on with upskilling/studying, so been making very productive use of my time.

Anyway, I started looking around to see what other jobs were on the market, and one cropped up which peaked my interest. It just so happens that I knew one of the guys who is in a senior position there. Ultimately, I got offered a job there but at around ~£15k less than what I'm getting paid now. At first, I was told that I wasn't successful, but then a few weeks later I got offered it but the role had changed slightly; there was no longer a managerial aspect to it. With that in mind they reduced the salary by ~£5k which I'm a bit miffed about considering no managerial responsibilities were mentioned in the job description for the role that I originally applied for. However, I anticipate the role being a lot busier, and they're wishing to bring me on board so that they can go for a government accreditation. I'll be the lead consultant for these types of jobs... so significant amount of responsibility. I asked if they would honour the offered salary and was told 'no, but there will be plenty of opportunities for an increase'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really lucky to be in such a position, but I'm really stuck with which way I should go. My current employer has also offered me a slightly more managerial role, which would put me in good stead for the future, with some indication it is going to get busier in the future.

Do you any of you folk have any advice/guidance which might help to make my mind up?

TIA!

Soldato
However, I anticipate the role being a lot busier, and they're wishing to bring me on board so that they can go for a government accreditation. I'll be the lead consultant for these types of jobs... so significant amount of responsibility. I asked if they would honour the offered salary and was told 'no, but there will be plenty of opportunities for an increase'.

To me thats a red flag, pay the salary now not later! I hate it when companies do this all based on false hope.

Soldato
I wouldn't take a £20K pay cut for "plenty of opportunities for an increase", unless they will actually guarantee the increase (which they won't, as they're clearly cheap). Without a guarantee that the increase will come anything close to the £20K gulf that you'd be facing and the timing of said increase, that'll be a hard nope from me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you any of you folk have any advice/guidance which might help to make my mind up?
yes, tell the the company that initially rejected you when you first applied but then 'created' a similar job but for a whole lot less cash which they offered to you to go and take a running jump......politely of course, no point burning bridges.

Soldato
20K pay cut when you don't need to move. Hell no ...

Remember that consultancy is often feast and famine. You're doing the right thing upskilling whilst you're quiet - once it gets busy you won't have time. As you can see from the other thread here, the market is quiet at the moment but it will pick up. No harm in keeping looking if you're bored, but there will be better opportunities out there than the one you were presented with.

Soldato
In a similar position to the OP, too many quiet periods, I'm in to week 6 at home, had a 14 week period same time last year.

As @peterwalkley says make the most of the "time off", my next assignment will see me away for 6 days a week.

I use the time to listen to music, binge TV shows, wash the car, tidy the garden, go for long walks with a bit of studying.

Soldato
Thanks folks. I think the general consensus is that I should stay put!
I would I were you. It’s not as if you hate the current job. Just milk the downtime to improve/learn as much as possible and keep your eye out for better opportunities. That offer the new place came back with after rejecting your initial application just smells off to me.

Soldato
"I found a better offer so won't be taking this job after all, apologies for the inconvenience and good luck with your recruitment."

There's no way I would:
- take a 15k pay cut
- take a 20k pay cut
- take a job after someone reduced the offer
- take a job where someone dangles a verbal carrot
- take a job where someone significantly changes the job spec during the recruitment process
- take a job at a company which previously rejected me

Associate
OP
You what? Yea just say your no longer interested because you have had a rethink, it's not a big deal
I kind of rushed into the decision in the heat of the moment Friday afternoon, and over the BH weekend I actually managed to process it and think rationally. Lesson learnt!

Thankfully my current employer hadn’t processed my resignation as the director wanted to speak to me first - the earliest they could do that was today, so I’m thanking my lucky stars. They even gave me an extra day or two to think about their offer!

Associate
Thankfully my current employer hadn’t processed my resignation as the director wanted to speak to me first - the earliest they could do that was today, so I’m thanking my lucky stars. They even gave me an extra day or two to think about their offer!

This might be an opportunity to discuss honestly with the director as to why you wanted to leave, if you do not have enough work, it might look very good if you explain you want more responsibility or general work that gets you interested and it sounds like current company director gives a crap about you leaving otherwise they wouldn't be coming to speak to you personally!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This might be an opportunity to discuss honestly with the director as to why you wanted to leave, if you do not have enough work, it might look very good if you explain you want more responsibility or general work that gets you interested and it sounds like current company director gives a crap about you leaving otherwise they wouldn't be coming to speak to you personally!
You’re 100% right and that is exactly what I did. In fairness, it was them who wanted to understand why I wanted to leave and what could they have done to make things better. For me, the effort they have made to actually have that conversation (and want to have it) speaks volumes.

Associate
OP

You could have mentioned that in your first post ...

Although from bitter experience missing crucial information out to reveal at a later date is standard consultant behaviour. :rolleyes:
Fair comment. And hey, don’t tarnish us consultants with the same brush!!

I did write the post whilst trying to settle my little one - can I use that as an excuse? :D

Back
Top Bottom