Unsure as to what to do next... help?

Associate
A 20k pay cut so you can be busier seems a bit mad dude - your new hourly rate would be a massive drop. Appreciate the time you've got now in the current role - it sounds like you already are focusing on upskilling. But get your personal admin done and focus on the stuff that makes you happy.

If you get really desperate maybe think about proposing a project at your current place to cut cost/generate new business etc

Soldato
A 20k pay cut so you can be busier seems a bit mad dude - your new hourly rate would be a massive drop. Appreciate the time you've got now in the current role - it sounds like you already are focusing on upskilling. But get your personal admin done and focus on the stuff that makes you happy.

If you get really desperate maybe think about proposing a project at your current place to cut cost/generate new business etc

agree - £20k paycut and more work... why?

Enjoy the quiet time - use it for personal growth, improving your CV etc etc.

Work life balance is the most important thing people seem to forget.

Man of Honour
Stay where you are. Use the time to massively skill up.

Tell the new company, politely, that upon reflection the salary doesn't meet current market conditions and unfortunately you will need to decline.

Soldato
Hey folks,

I'm currently employed in a substantive post with an IT consultancy firm, on a fairly good wage, but I feel it just isn't busy enough. I've been here about 5 months now and in that time I've only done ~3 jobs for various clients. When it has been quiet, I've been cracking on with upskilling/studying, so been making very productive use of my time.

Anyway, I started looking around to see what other jobs were on the market, and one cropped up which peaked my interest. It just so happens that I knew one of the guys who is in a senior position there. Ultimately, I got offered a job there but at around ~£15k less than what I'm getting paid now. At first, I was told that I wasn't successful, but then a few weeks later I got offered it but the role had changed slightly; there was no longer a managerial aspect to it. With that in mind they reduced the salary by ~£5k which I'm a bit miffed about considering no managerial responsibilities were mentioned in the job description for the role that I originally applied for. However, I anticipate the role being a lot busier, and they're wishing to bring me on board so that they can go for a government accreditation. I'll be the lead consultant for these types of jobs... so significant amount of responsibility. I asked if they would honour the offered salary and was told 'no, but there will be plenty of opportunities for an increase'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really lucky to be in such a position, but I'm really stuck with which way I should go. My current employer has also offered me a slightly more managerial role, which would put me in good stead for the future, with some indication it is going to get busier in the future.

Do you any of you folk have any advice/guidance which might help to make my mind up?

TIA!

Have you looked to start making yourself a thought leader too? For example getting out into industrial discussions and workshops? This ultimately helps customers too.

Back
Top Bottom