Unsure where to connect cooler RGB connector

Associate
I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Edition cooler. A bit confused where to plug in the RGB connector on a Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Mobo. I'm new to RGB and it's a little unclear from the labels on the mobo and the details in the manual. The connector is a 4-pin female type.

Next to the CPU_Fan header there are 3 other headers. One is CPU_Opt, which from the manual shows as 'Water cooling CPU fan header'. The next one is labelled 'G DV' and is a 3-pin connector. The manual shows this as 'D_LED1/D_LED2'. The 4th header is a 4-pin labelled 'BRG 12V'. In the manual this shows as 'LED_C1/LED_C2'. I thought this was the correct header. But the manual details this as being for 'RGB LED strip headers'! :-/

IMG-5718.jpg

The cooler does come with a controller. Do I just need to use this? Kind of imagined I'd be able to connect it to the mobo seeing as it's a pretty new model. As I said, new to RGB. This is my first RGB device! So :confused:

Associate
This cooler needs to be used with included controller. The controller has switches on to control the rgb colour and mode. the controller is power by sata and not needed to be plugged into the rgb header on the mobo :)

Associate
OP
This cooler needs to be used with included controller. The controller has switches on to control the rgb colour and mode. the controller is power by sata and not needed to be plugged into the rgb header on the mobo :)

Ah okay. That’s a shame. Was kind of hoping it could connect to mobo and be controlled from software. No worries. I’ll probably just set and forget anyway ;)

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
I wonder if you use the RGB controller when your motherboard doesn't have an RGB controller? If it's the same connector, try it.
That’s what I thought. Wasn’t sure though if it’s not correct I might do some damage somewhere, hence why I posted here for advice. All new to me this RGB stuff :confused:

Associate
OP

The RGB version can use the included Molex-powered lighting controller or be integrated with the RGB controls of a certified compatible motherboard from Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte or MSI.

Cheers for post ;) So, does that mean I can use the 4-pin RGB header on the mobo for this? Then control / sync with RGB Fusion. That would be good. Trying to work out if my mobo is certified compatible. Still confused! :confused:

Soldato
Not sure if certification is really necessary. It's just an RGB header. Plug it into the 'BRG12v' 4 pin connector on your motherboard, it'll work fine.

The one with 3 pins next to it is for ARGB. Gives options for more advanced effects than just standard RGB.

Don
Cheers for post ;) So, does that mean I can use the 4-pin RGB header on the mobo for this? Then control / sync with RGB Fusion. That would be good. Trying to work out if my mobo is certified compatible. Still confused! :confused:

Unless you are 100% sure then I wouldn't - sticking 12v BRG through a 5v VDG/ARGB device will kill it.

Whilst that should be true, I think there's also a newer version of the Hyper 212 that is ARGB - so worth checking exactly what is says on the back of the fan:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/cooler-master-hyper-212-rgb.289594/

A 4 Pin female connector isn't definitely a sign of 12v RGB either, as some manufacturers have used the 4 pin version anyway for ARGB (without blanking the "key" hole).

If the included controller can do rainbow effects rather than just individual colours, it's likely 5v ARGB
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/sickleflow-120-argb/

Associate
OP
Tried Hyper 212 fan RGB connector on mobo BRG 12V header ........... worked ;) I can't get the range of effects I was getting from the included controller. Maybe the software? I'm using RGB Fusion 2.0, which seems a bit limited. Anyway, fan LED working on mobo header so all good ;)

Associate
OP
.......... Bought a Corsair SP140 RGB Elite fan to replace a Be Quiet 140mm fan that came with the case (moved this to the case front so I had two of these fans there). Didn't realise Corsair have their own system of connecting / controlling fans. Unable to connect the RGB connector to motherboard. Don't really want to have to buy extra bits just to get this working. Have a second 4-pin RGB header on the mobo. So thinking just a 140mm RGB fan with 4-pin RGB header would be the easiest way forward. Couldn't find much. Plenty of ARGB options. Only RGB I found so far is the Cooler Master MasterFan MF140. I didn't realise RGB was such a PITA. Thought it was more standardised than this. NOPE!! :D

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/masterfan-mf140r-rgb/

Associate
OP
BACK AGAIN!! :D Working on a new build for my son. Bought a Thermaltake View 200 Tempered Glass ARGB case and a Gigabyte B760M DS3H AX DDR4 motherboard. Small problem - there are no ARGB (or even RGB) headers on the motherboard. I took it for granted that most Mobos by now would have this capacity. Bad assumption!

So, thinking what the best way forward is - get a new Mobo with ARGB headers or is there another solution I could use? I was looking at ARGB fan controllers. It's a bit of a minefield though. I'm not sure what would work or how some of them work. Are there any other solutions for fan and lightning control where a system doesn't have any onboard solutions.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Small problem - there are no ARGB (or even RGB) headers on the motherboard. I took it for granted that most Mobos by now would have this capacity. Bad assumption!
You sure? I looked in the manual and I thought you have one of each (bottom of board, near the middle).

Associate
OP
You sure? I looked in the manual and I thought you have one of each (bottom of board, near the middle).
There is something in that area labelled, I think, DLED. Would that be it? On my own Gigabyte Gaming X board there are specific RGB and ARGB headers (as shown in pic in OP in this thread). The B760M DS3H AX definitely doesn't have those.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom